BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
roundtree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2012 BMW X3  [10.00]
2012 F25 Headlight Bulb Replacement

Since there doesn't seem to be any helpful threads that I can find, I'm hoping someone can provide a little guidance. My driver's side, low-beam, halogen lamp has gone out in my 2012 X3 and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the retaining clip. I've seen suggestions to flip it up (which it won't), to wiggle it off (it won't), or to push up on the lamp first to free one of the clips (it definitely doesn't budge).

The posted owner's manual at BMWusa.com acts like the bulb should just come straight out, so what am I missing?
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

Believe it or not, you just PULL on the end of the bulb with some force. The clips act as a retainer and by all means, do not lock the bulb in. The very first time is always difficult. Go try it again but use a bit of force.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 07:53 AM   #3
jman103099
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & 2011 F25

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I've done work on cars (oil changes, valve cover gaskets, coolant, plugs, etc.). About 10 years ago I owned a 2006 X3 and for the life of me could not get the headlight bulb out. Embarrassed, I took the car to the dealer and had them change it.

I feel your pain. As someone said above, always difficult the first time.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
roundtree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2012 BMW X3  [10.00]
Good news is that persistence paid off. I took zcspec's advice and tried to just pull the bulb out. This wasn't intuitive the first several tries because the power cable simply came off without the bulb. Apparently, I wiggled and pulled enough to get the bulb out, which also required some maneuvering to free it from the bottom clip. With my renewed self-assurance, I tried the passenger side bulb, which naturally came out on the first try.

I hope someone else reads this in the future and doesn't give up. Don't worry about the retention clip, as zcspec's stated. Persist in removing the bulb and save the trip to the dealer. Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:05 AM   #5
alphawawa
Blue Blood
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3 Coupe/TiAg+IR/6MT

It comes out with a 20 degree twist or so, as cited here:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1553761
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
DBSully
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

2013 BMW X3 Low Beam bulb replacement

I have replaced these headlights several times, and each time it has been frustrating (probably because I forget what worked the last time).

The videos imply that the bulb should easily pull out, but that is usually not the case. They need to be turned about 20 degrees so that the tab on the base of the bulb matches the slot on the casing.

The problem is that after a while, they become very hard to turn (mine usually won't budge at all), and when I pull on the connector, the connector separates from the bulb.

My solution is to remove the connector so that the prongs from the bulb are exposed. Put a large coin or something flat between the prongs and twist it like a key. This gives you the leverage you need to loosen up the accumulated gunk, and it should come right out.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
Gene-JC
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

2013 BMW X3 low beam headlight bulb replacment

I have just replaced two low beam headlight bulbs (or namely, fog/driving light bulb as per Sylvania brand) on my 2013 BMW X3 with an easy approach. After disconnected the wire plug, threaded a wire through the holes on both terminals (see the attached photo) and then pull the wire with a little force to remove the old bulbs from headlight holder. To install, just push the new bulb in (in a right orientation) and plug in the wire connector (or plug the connector on the bulb first before push the bulb in).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW bulb.pdf (2.53 MB, 775 views)
Appreciate 0