BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #45
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

I am installing a stealth hitch with the BMW electronics and wiring on a 30i.

I'll detail any differences or issues I have. It should be straightforward.

martinX32018, you could reach out to a independent BMW shop, I am sure they would help you out if you didn't want to do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #46
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep

OK, I finaly got the stealth hitch installed yesterday with the factory wiring harness.

I did run into a few things that I had to do to get it to work and I still have to code it and have a small interference with the wiring plug mounting bracket that is bugging me.

So to do this I purchased the stealth hitch with their wiring harness. Installed the hitch per there directions (which were for a base 30i, not MSport model, so that was a little different).

Of course, since the wiring plug is from BMW it won't work with the mount from Stealth Hitches. But the BMW plug is just a standard Pollak plug. So I purchased this plug mounting bracket, Pollak Mounting Bracket

That Bracket is wider than the one included with the kit, so it bolts up OK, but it does touch the bottom of the bumper and pushes it out JUST slightly. I want to clearance the bracket to fix this, but it might make it harder to open and close the plug cover.

Then I removed the mounting plugs that are on the wiring harness that are designed to plug into holes on the bumper or BMW hitch and zip tied them to the hitch (see photo).

I ran everything else into the back of the car as the directions show and ran it in the clips for the other wiring, with a zip tie or two.

I haven't coded it yet, so it isn't plugged in. I will probably pay someone to code it and make some other small tweaks I want anyway...

A few notes:

The plug is straight down, the ground clearance is reduced, but it should still be plenty.

You can JUST see the cover lip from the back of the car, but that is the only visible part.

I trimmed less than the recommended amount from the gravel guard, and might have been able to trim less, but I think it turned out great.

The kick to open and close still works great with and without the hitch installed. Not sure if it will be disabled with a trailer wired in...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #47
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep

My dealership tried to code my wiring retrofit yesterday. It looks like it partly worked, I have the trailer options in iDrive, no diagnostic error, but the wiring plug doesn't work. I get 12v, but no other lights on my diagnostic connector. I haven't tried hooking it up to my trailer yet, because that is an hour away...

I think they didn't code everything correctly, but they claim their was only one option to "retrofit" the harness.

Looks like I might have to learn e-sys ...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #48
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelthy View Post
My dealership tried to code my wiring retrofit yesterday. It looks like it partly worked, I have the trailer options in iDrive, no diagnostic error, but the wiring plug doesn't work. I get 12v, but no other lights on my diagnostic connector. I haven't tried hooking it up to my trailer yet, because that is an hour away...

I think they didn't code everything correctly, but they claim their was only one option to "retrofit" the harness.

Looks like I might have to learn e-sys ...
OK, after some troubleshooting over the weekend, I think they actually coded it correctly. Using a plain automotive incandescent light bulb and some alligator clips I was able to test the connector and confirm they all work. The diagnostic connector doesn't draw enough current to turn on the BMW electronics. As a side note, neither did my multi-meter. This obviously wouldn't have been an issue if I had access to my trailer. I have also read recently, that LED equipped small trailers sometimes don't work with these newer electronic harnesses.

Interesting notes, it took a second or two to turn on after I connected the bulb (I assume this is the BMW controller turning on and then starting to send signals). Then when moving from pin to pin to check function the iDrive was throwing errors about burned out bulbs in the trailer, pretty cool!

There are definitely some advantages to using the BMW harness. But just in case somebody is searching (like me) as to why their harness isn't working, hopefully this will help them troubleshoot...

I pickup my boat (~4000 lbs) this weekend, so I'll post an extensive towing review in a new post. So few people tow with these cars in the US finding info on how they handle near maximum capacity is difficult.

Thanks again to ktmsmr12 for putting together a detailed and helpful how to, and for letting me hijack his thread with info on the stealth hitch.
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
kanecvl22.00
      10-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #49
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Congratulations, well done. I'm interested to hear your report about tow ability (power, acceleration, steering and braking). I have pulled a 3,500-4,000 lb boat for 15 years with vehicles ranging from a mid-size SUV to a 3/4 ton diesel truck. The X3 pulling 4,000lb seems near the range of the envelope.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 03:57 PM   #50
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Resurrecting this thread to ask a question or two.
I am only using this to haul bicycles (likely never tow a trailer).

I see that plugging in the harness prevents the rear hatch from opening, but if I am only using the receiver, is there any advantage to installing the wiring harness?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #51
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
Resurrecting this thread to ask a question or two.
I am only using this to haul bicycles (likely never tow a trailer).

I see that plugging in the harness prevents the rear hatch from opening, but if I am only using the receiver, is there any advantage to installing the wiring harness?
The harness will NOT keep the hatch from opening. I am in and out of my hatch a lot with the boat hooked up for various things... I see no advantage to the wiring harness, except maybe resale (a buyer will expect wiring with a hitch install...)

You will probably just want to code the "trailer mode" into idrive. That will let you disable PDC when you have your bike rack hooked up.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #52
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The harness will NOT keep the hatch from opening. I am in and out of my hatch a lot with the boat hooked up for various things... I see no advantage to the wiring harness, except maybe resale (a buyer will expect wiring with a hitch install...)

You will probably just want to code the "trailer mode" into idrive. That will let you disable PDC when you have your bike rack hooked up.
Understand about resale, but it will save me a huge amount of money to go with just the hitch. And I keep my vehicles for a long time so it's less of an issue.

A local dealer quoted me $400 for the hitch; if I can install myself it would be even better!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #53
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
When we were shopping for our X3 the dealer was really not into the idea of retrofitting it. They had the docs and parts but said we should just order a 2002 with the hitch.

Even when we said we'd buy a 2019 off the lot that day they really didn't like the idea. So we ended up ordering a 2020 with a hitch.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #54
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3m

Great post. Quick tow bar/hitch question without going to far from the original post. Does the comfort boot/tailgate option ie wave your foot under still work with the factory fit towbar/hitch
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #55
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky401 View Post
Great post. Quick tow bar/hitch question without going to far from the original post. Does the comfort boot/tailgate option ie wave your foot under still work with the factory fit towbar/hitch
Not from what I understand. When I inquired about the hitch, the parts guy asked if I had that feature. When I said I did not, he said that was good as it would no longer be available.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #56
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky401 View Post
You can keep this feature if you go with an aftermarket hitch, but not the BMW OEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #57
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3m

thanks for both replies above. too late to change now as the car went into production yesterday

not an issue as such as i’d prefer the stealthy electronic towbar anyway
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #58
liam_irish
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMX X3 3.5i

Hi ktmsmr12, I could not figure out how to PM you, so I thought I would post here. I am planning to purchase a 2019 BMW X3 M40, and to install the factory hitch like you. Ground clearance is very important for me, as I need to make sure I can use my hitch carrier to transport my KTM 450XCF. Is it possible for you to let me know the distance between the ground and the bottom of the hitch? My old 2005 X3 had 13" clearance from ground to bottom of hitch, and it worked perfectly w/ my dirtbike carrier. I would be happy if 2019 had the same measurement....Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #59
gashon1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

Instructions for OEM electric retractable towbar

Anyone who wishes to have the genuine bmw instructions for retrofitting the bmw retractable towbar on a G01 or G02 needs to look no further, unfortunately it doesn’t include the coding required.

Electric Pivot-Mounted Trailer Tow Hitch Retrofit. BMW X3 (G01) BMW X4 (G02) Retrofit kit number
71 60 2 458 026 Electrical add-on parts retrofit kit
71 60 6 887 640 Electric pivot-mounted trailer tow kit

I have to say it looks like a lot of work, I think I will be getting a removable hitch version from an aftermarket supplier!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf G01_G02 towbar_en_en.pdf (1.60 MB, 1111 views)

Last edited by gashon1; 03-10-2020 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
kevinkay270.00
      03-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #60
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just picked up my X3 M40i with no hitch. Going to order all the parts through my dealer. One part that is mentioned in his list that is not in the OP's list is part number: 51117458878. It's a "luggage cover". Did anyone else get this part or know what it's for with this install? It's only $40. Looks like this picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:58 AM   #61
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I installed most of my hitch yesterday using the OP's instructions which are very good! The dealer sent me a couple of the wrong trim pieces and forgot the gray diffuser, so it's still not completely back together, but getting close. Two things. If you don't pull the entire rear bumper, getting the wiring harness through the grommet into the vehicle is by far the hardest part of the install. There is very little clearance there because the bumper and it's support are in the way. I couldn't figure out for a while how to even get the grommet out. The best route I found was to push the grommet through into the car and try to cut / drill it from there. The problem is, and you can see it in the OPs pictures, there is a PITA plastic storage bin inside the kick panel that I couldn't figure out how to get out of the damn way without removing the cargo storage slide rails. And you need like a *45 star head to get those out. That bin makes access to the grommet a giant pain - I now have bloody hands from wrestling with cutting the grommet and trying to get it back into the hole with the wiring harness in there. I think this took me a couple hours by itself and if I did it again would probably take 15 minutes. Otherwise very simple install!

The other thing is I'm still not sure where the piece I posted above goes. There is another "bumper reinforcement" that definitely goes behind the gray diffuser. I'm wondering if this luggage cover they gave me was an error just like the trim piece they sent me that I didn't need. It might be for a standard X3 and not the M40i. If anyone can confirm that they have or don't have that piece I'd appreciate it!

EDIT: OK so that part I posted was another incorrect part ordered by the dealer. It would be for a non-M X3. They sent me two incorrect parts, two of the same part, and forgot the gray diffuser :-(

Last edited by Tronner; 04-07-2020 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Figured it out
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #62
DrSteveB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 540d, '18 X3, '10 335d

I am impressed and in awe of the courage and skill it takes to install an aftermarket hitch on these cars. For those weaklings like me, I just had a Stealth Hitch installed on my 18 X3. I bought the hitch directly from Stealth and drove down to their location for installation. Total labor cost for install was $250 - worth it for me. I also had them ad the BMW module and do the coding - all very reasonable in my opinion. An added bonus was the quality of service. I was treated like a family member and all the people there, from the owner to the installers could not have been more helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #63
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After finalizing my hitch today at the dealer, there are two more parts that could be considered part of the retrofit kit that would be in addition to the parts the OP posted.

These are a left and right splash guard that replace the single splash guard on the non-towing cars. You don't really NEED them if you just trim your old piece, which I think I may do because these don't provide much coverage. But if you want everything completely back to normal you would replace the splash guard with these two pieces. Look like this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sinbad4779.50
      07-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #64
madnah378
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkay View Post
advise on how to separate the sections of the bumper cover without totally removing it? How did you free these clips?

THANKS!
Removing that panel is very easy. Remove all the hex screws along the bottom (there's a bunch, maybe 10-15), and you can see where it separates. From there, you just use brute force - just pull it loose. Be somewhat careful so you don't break any of the clips, but it's pretty durable.

Getting it back on is harder, because you have to have it centered perfectly to get the clips to engage. This just takes a little trial and error.

I didn't do the wiring yet. The hardest part of the install of the hitch itself is reaching the upper passenger side bolt. It looks impossible at first. I did it by putting the socket on the nut first, then attaching my wrench to the socket.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:34 PM   #65
AcidLotus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i, 2014 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnah378 View Post
I didn't do the wiring yet. The hardest part of the install of the hitch itself is reaching the upper passenger side bolt. It looks impossible at first. I did it by putting the socket on the nut first, then attaching my wrench to the socket.
I used a gearwrench, and that worked a treat. It was very slow going for some part of it, but once it got loose enough, I could finger-loosen and -tighten.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:29 AM   #66
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:

You will need the harness. Without the harness, you can't plug the trailer lights into the electrical system. Without the electrical system knowing about the trailer, PDC doesn't know about the legitimate obstruction and will go off constantly. Doesn't matter what you code into iDrive, if there's no trailer lights plugged in, there's no trailer. Also, the rear braking bias won't be changed to allow for the weight of the trailer (figured to be 3500 lbs, Class II trailer).

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0