BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #991
Jcbmally
Started with nothing, still got most of it left.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Cupra Ateca 300ps 4drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristle Hound View Post
Great thread !

Finding loads of stuff before my Thursday 21/11/19 (or 11/21/19) delivery

Now I just have to remember it all lol
One more sleep buddy
      11-30-2019, 05:44 AM   #992
JN2019
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3's

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I've read this forum about remote starting in detail before (because I really wanted the aux heater which is no longer available) and I still wasn't aware I could do what I found out this morning.

Picked car up yesterday, gone out to it this morning and totally covered in frost as it was cold in the UK last night. I've got a secure drive so I'd normally just start the car with the key left in it and go have a coffee. With the new G01 I've found that I can walk away from the car (over 100 feet) with the key in my pocket and the car will continue to run. If I go back to the car with the key I can drive off, if I don't have the key I can't because it says on display that the key is missing. So the car is secure from being driven off by someone else who doesn't have a key. I also found I could lock the car and walk away and the engine continued to run (albeit it beeped the horn twice as a warning, but locked anyway). Again, I can't get in the car without having the key with me.

I know this isn't the hallowed 'remote starting option' many of us would like, but it's much better than I expected, whereas I thought I'd need to leave the key in the car for it to run (and defrost). So, pretty much all the ability to allow 'secure' defrosting is there in the car, so it's only a small step for BMW to allow this to happen remotely.

This is a big bonus to me over what I expected, I spend most of the winter in various locations in the Alps and don't always have secure parking!!

NB: UK spec M40d with comfort access
Appreciate 2
mikeoz2856.00
      11-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #993
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Ok, picked up my X3 M40i on Thursday, so this is my first moment, in spite of having read said f*****g manual I can’t figure this one out on my lonesome so need the resources of the hive mind....

Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere in the thread, but how do I get the car to recognise my profile from the key and simply start with that, rather than having to select my profile EVERY time I get in the car. No one else uses the car, and the other key is in the house, so no risk of the car getting confused. The only other profile is ‘guest’.

The loaner I had for a test drive simply recognised the key and welcomed the driver (it was the DP’s car) without having to pick a profile.

It’s definitely a first world problem but it is a bit annoying.

Any help/advice would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #994
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN2019 View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I've read this forum about remote starting in detail before (because I really wanted the aux heater which is no longer available) and I still wasn't aware I could do what I found out this morning.

Picked car up yesterday, gone out to it this morning and totally covered in frost as it was cold in the UK last night. I've got a secure drive so I'd normally just start the car with the key left in it and go have a coffee. With the new G01 I've found that I can walk away from the car (over 100 feet) with the key in my pocket and the car will continue to run. If I go back to the car with the key I can drive off, if I don't have the key I can't because it says on display that the key is missing. So the car is secure from being driven off by someone else who doesn't have a key. I also found I could lock the car and walk away and the engine continued to run (albeit it beeped the horn twice as a warning, but locked anyway). Again, I can't get in the car without having the key with me.

I know this isn't the hallowed 'remote starting option' many of us would like, but it's much better than I expected, whereas I thought I'd need to leave the key in the car for it to run (and defrost). So, pretty much all the ability to allow 'secure' defrosting is there in the car, so it's only a small step for BMW to allow this to happen remotely.

This is a big bonus to me over what I expected, I spend most of the winter in various locations in the Alps and don't always have secure parking!!

NB: UK spec M40d with comfort access
If you put your key almost touching the driver window when you lock it it doesn't do the double beep of the horn. Found this out in my old car and works on this one too. Saves me annoying the neighbours at 7am when I leave it ticking over.
Appreciate 4
JN201919.50
kevinkay271.50
mikeoz2856.00
      11-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #995
JN2019
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
If you put your key almost touching the driver window when you lock it it doesn't do the double beep of the horn. Found this out in my old car and works on this one too. Saves me annoying the neighbours at 7am when I leave it ticking over.
Gets better and better …. thanks!
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #996
Yellowmattei
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi Msport, '20 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Ok, picked up my X3 M40i on Thursday, so this is my first moment, in spite of having read said f*****g manual I can’t figure this one out on my lonesome so need the resources of the hive mind....

Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere in the thread, but how do I get the car to recognise my profile from the key and simply start with that, rather than having to select my profile EVERY time I get in the car. No one else uses the car, and the other key is in the house, so no risk of the car getting confused. The only other profile is ‘guest’.

The loaner I had for a test drive simply recognised the key and welcomed the driver (it was the DP’s car) without having to pick a profile.

It’s definitely a first world problem but it is a bit annoying.

Any help/advice would be appreciated
You have to create an account with bmw connected drive. There is a pairing process, and then your key will automatically recognize you. I haven't done it for my wife's key yet, but it shouldn't be too hard, I'd guess.

Link here:

https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ap...x.html#/portal
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #997
JN2019
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowmattei View Post
You have to create an account with bmw connected drive. There is a pairing process, and then your key will automatically recognize you. I haven't done it for my wife's key yet, but it shouldn't be too hard, I'd guess.

Link here:

https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ap...x.html#/portal
As above, then go to car settings in idrive, your profile, and check box to assign key linkage.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #998
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Thanks, I’ve already done that and it does recognise my key, but it doesn’t automatically go to my profile without me having to OK it in iDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #999
JN2019
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Thanks, I’ve already done that and it does recognise my key, but it doesn’t automatically go to my profile without me having to OK it in iDrive
Isn't that just because it's new i.e. you get the setup screen? This is temporary and disappears after a few weeks I believe. Try just ignoring it and start the car, at this point on mine it just goes to idrive with my profile and all works as it should.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #1000
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Isn't that just because it's new i.e. you get the setup screen? This is temporary and disappears after a few weeks I believe. Try just ignoring it and start the car, at this point on mine it just goes to idrive with my profile and all works as it should.
Ok, hopefully it’s just a learning process for the car. Too bloody smart for its own good.....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #1001
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
This is fantastic, the double horn was the most annoying feature of my GT, can’t believe I just needed to stand near the drivers doo
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #1002
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJon View Post
This is fantastic, the double horn was the most annoying feature of my GT, can’t believe I just needed to stand near the drivers doo
Just touch the key to the window, or very close, and it stops the double beep.

Shame Audi don't have the same, got in a bit of a mess with the wife's Q7 last week trying to be clever. The Audi won't lock from the fob at all with the engine running. I'd left my car at the pub the night before and said I'd do the school run in hers. I went outside while everyone was having breakfast, started the car, wound the window down and got out. I then reached in as the central locking button is on the door and locked it. Next I pressed the window button to put the window up and moved my arm from inside the car.

Standing outside I checked the doors, locked and engine running. Feeling pretty smug now, a little cheat I'd found, or so I thought. Pressed fob to unlock it and nothing happened. Cue panic, kids going to be late for school, then calling friends to pick them up. Found physical key on fob soon after, but couldn't find where lock was on handle. Luckily YouTube saved me and I found how to flip a cover off and manually unlock it.

I daren't tell my wife how it had happened, with me trying to be a smart arse. Won't be doing it again!

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 12-02-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
kzg19691299.00
      12-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #1003
plainmaster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i ?

Quote:
Just touch the key to the window, or very close, and it stops the double beep.

Shame Audi don't have the same, got in a bit of a mess with the wife's Q7 last week trying to be clever. The Audi won't lock from the fob at all with the engine running. I'd left my car at the pub the night before and said I'd do the school run in hers. I went outside while everyone was having breakfast, started the car, wound the window down and got out. I then reached in as the central locking button is on the door and locked it. Next I pressed the window button to put the window up and removed my arm.

Standing outside I checked the doors, locked and engine running. Feeling pretty smug now, a little cheat I'd found, or so I thought. Pressed fob to unlock it and nothing happened. Cue panic, kids going to be late for school, then calling friends to pick them up. Found physical key on fob soon after, but couldn't find where lock was on handle. Luckily YouTube saved me and I found how to flip a cover off and manually unlock it.

I daren't tell my wife how it had happened, with me trying to be a smart arse. Won't be doing it again!
That is a great story!!
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #1004
plainmaster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
You cannot. As Almaretto noted, the hardware in the 2020 MY is different than in the preceding MYs. 2018-2019 X3 has a dedicated ASD module in the trunk next to the amplifier. The 2020 X3 has the ASD integrated into the head unit. That is why the ASD menu is available in the 2020 X3 but not the 2018-2019 X3. I can point you to the settings that control the ASD menu shown in post #975 above. If you code them on a 2019 X3, nothing will happen (I tried). If you want to get rid of ASD, my recommendation is to install the Technic ASD bypass harness (https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/). It takes less than 10 minutes to do it and ASD will be gone forever.
But in the 2020 doesn’t using that engine sound screen change the sound of the actual exhaust also? I don’t believe it only controls the fake interior engine sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #1005
Firedog550
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i & 1997 BMW Z3

Just found out (and I believe every BMW does this) if you want the car to downshift (no matter what mode)just tap the accelerator really quick and let off and it will downshift.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:53 AM   #1006
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:

You should find actually that you CAN drive off without the key. For sure the iDrive screen will tell you the key is missing, but you stick her in drive and move off and see what happens when the key is left in the house.

Bit of a bummer when you get to your destination without a key though ;-). So don't go too far.

[edit btw that's how the relay hack worked in previous models where the key didn't shut down its ping response after a few mins. The key is pinged to start the car, but is not constantly pinged after that to disable engine if not there (only to warn you its not there). It would be interesting to know, since yours is super brand new if this behaviour changed. I doubt it]

Last edited by spangle1980; 02-20-2020 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #1007
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

This may have already been mentioned, but I discovered a very useful feature of the sun visors......they slide.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      02-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #1008
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Visors are important!

Appreciate 2
      02-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #1009
smanji
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark View Post
This may have already been mentioned, but I discovered a very useful feature of the sun visors......they slide.
These dont come on the UK spec
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #1010
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

This is actually on my F97, but couldn't find a similar thread for f97/98's.

Despite having read the manual, I obviously glossed over the part that explains how the Rev limiter behaves when the engine has warmed up - outside of the oil temp gauge of course. I noticed at cold start that the Rev limiter is much lower than when the engine is warm. As the engine warms, the Rev limit slowly creeps up to the "safe" zone of 7500rpm
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:20 PM   #1011
IslandDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainmaster View Post
But in the 2020 doesn’t using that engine sound screen change the sound of the actual exhaust also? I don’t believe it only controls the fake interior engine sound.
Yes. In a 2020, with ASD coded off, the engine sound settings still affect the actual sound observed both inside and outside the vehicle.

ASD coded off and engine sound to maximum/sporty is the way to go IMO. Wouldn't run anything else.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #1012
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Just discovered after 6 months with my 2019 that if you press and hold “back” in idrive 6 it gives you a selection of recent functions.
In my last car (idrive 5) you could only get to this by being in home screen and pushing menu.
Appreciate 1
pej744593.00