BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #23
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Pardon the newbie question...but does ASD only do in-cabin sound, or does it also control the actual exhaust burble/pops?
I think the way to think about this is as follows: ASD is a system that creates artificial exhaust noise using the stereo system. If you code it off, then that system stops providing that noise.

Separate and apart from this, there is some system that manages the opening and closing of the exhaust valve with some sort of algorithm. I don't know what to call this system.

Finally, at least in the 2020 models, there is an ID7 setting that allows drivers to change engine sound by switching between "Dependent on Driving Mode," "Sporty," "Balanced," and "Reduced" profiles:

Think of that last thing as a user interface that manages the overall experience of engine noise. It definitely uses ASD as one of the tools to change that experience. There is also the theory that it can affect the exhaust valve (I think it does).

So, to answer your question, no, I don't think ASD affects the exhaust valve. When you code ASD off, I don't believe that exhaust valve management changes. But the thing in ID7 you use to control engine sound (probably) does. It's just easy to confuse ASD with the user experience that controls it.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019141.50
      02-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #24
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmicah View Post
I think the way to think about this is as follows: ASD is a system that creates artificial exhaust noise using the stereo system. If you code it off, then that system stops providing that noise.

Separate and apart from this, there is some system that manages the opening and closing of the exhaust valve with some sort of algorithm. I don't know what to call this system.

Finally, at least in the 2020 models, there is an ID7 setting that allows drivers to change engine sound by switching between "Dependent on Driving Mode," "Sporty," "Balanced," and "Reduced" profiles:

Think of that last thing as a user interface that manages the overall experience of engine noise. It definitely uses ASD as one of the tools to change that experience. There is also the theory that it can affect the exhaust valve (I think it does).

So, to answer your question, no, I don't think ASD affects the exhaust valve. When you code ASD off, I don't believe that exhaust valve management changes. But the thing in ID7 you use to control engine sound (probably) does. It's just easy to confuse ASD with the user experience that controls it.
Cars with OPFs ie Europe don’t get the Sporty option so maybe this pumps a bit of fuel into the exhaust for pops...which possibly would destroy the OPF so maybe it’s why Europe doesn’t get Sporty. Just a guess.
      02-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #25
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

I've gone back and forth with ASD

I drove for 3 months with ASD off (Fuse 218 pulled) and the exhaust valve open (Fuse 203 pulled). This is a really good combo, as it increases the natural exhaust sound while keeping the cabin quiet. But it can be hard to really hear the engine esp. when manually shifting.

With ASD back on (and the exhaust valve fuse still pulled), the car is more emotional to drive. Stepping on the throttle is more satisfying. I know the sound isn't "real" per se, but that doesn't affect the enjoyment of it.

With the OPF filter now afflicting more and more cars, it seems like a proper aftermarket exhaust is the only option for a good exhaust sound.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #26
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
I've gone back and forth with ASD

With ASD back on (and the exhaust valve fuse still pulled), the car is more emotional to drive. Stepping on the throttle is more satisfying. I know the sound isn't "real
I'm the same - I want the more full dual exhaust note, even in comfort (which I generally use for commuting), but it needs a bit of ASD as the cabin is too quiet with the windows shut.

Going to run with 203 pulled and ASD on 'balanced' for a while and see how that goes. I think the 'depending on driving mode' is just a bit on the harsh/artificial side, and 'reduced' is slightly too muted....
Appreciate 0