BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #1
IndustryStandard
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

AVIN 12.3 install........what have I done????

Well, that wasn't great ......

Just installed the Avin snapdragon 12.3inch into my 2012 F25 CIC basic ( no NAV / No bluetooth / 6.5inch screen) which has been a monumental disaster. Zero help from "customer support". Just some AI automated response with generic links and "work it out for yourself" feedback.

At the moment here are all the issues

- No sound. Ive flipped the green fibre optic cable as instructed, switched over the aux and routed into my glovebox. I tested with a small portable speaker and the cable works, just that my CIC head unit isnt doing anything

-No OEM Idrive display. Initially I could see the landing page but my idrive controller wouldnt move around the options. Then it disappeared totally. I tried inserting a CD to see if that would play. Nothing. No PDC. Zilch. Strangely the Idrive controller works for the Android unit and the Mode button on the CIC changes the Avin unit too.

-I can hear the fan on the head unit so that appears not to have been blown up by the Avin unit, but the fact my inserted audio CD wont eject worries me

-No help at all from Customer support regarding (a) what vehicle to select (no F25 CIC option)in the factory options section (b) no help regarding what CAN Bus to select (old/new/v1/V2). Ive tried going through some combinations but no luck so far.

-Long press volume button or eject/power button does nothing

Think they are the main issues. The fact PDC is now inoperable worries me, as its my wife's car and she relies on that a lot.

Any ideas/pointers/similar issues/lessons learnt would be much appreciated.

Many thx
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 02:02 AM   #2
IndustryStandard
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Bit of an update

I took everything apart and re installed and the CIC/HU is now back on, plus the PDC is working. Here are the new set of issues

-The idrive controller only controls the Avin/Android unit now. When the car boots up and i select the Idrive side, the controller doesnt work so I cant scroll through any of the menus

-Still no sound.

I think if I can get the idrive controller to work I can get to the Aux input screen and make sure that is set to Aux in, not CD. That might be the problem
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 04:36 AM   #3
madxkilla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe and 2016 X3

Im in the exact same boat as you, the idrive controllers only control the android side of things and no sound. Were you able to find a fix?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #4
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

try the green optical cable in the oem configuration, DO NOT FLIP IT

then report back
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 03:53 PM   #5
madxkilla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe and 2016 X3

My install was done by a professional who has done tons of these installs but he was baffled that the controls wouldn't work on the idrive and said it is rare but it does happen. He tried to update the idrive software but it did not solve the problem so he had to replace the entire headunit! Now the avin system works beautifully but you are looking at $2500 worth of work and parts. I wouldve just gone back to the old screen but the idrive remained frozen with the old screen as well
Appreciate 0