BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #67
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Autogefühl review

Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      06-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #68
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyOh View Post
I've noticed it's usually the british car journalists that always complain about the ride being stiff.
That's because most of their secondary roads are beat up horse trails with globs of asphalt thrown on top.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #69
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post
The main issues were steering and acceleration. I didn't expect it to feel just like an M3/M4, but at least closer to it.

My expectations were rightly set in my opinion. The X3M underperformed them. Especially the lag when accelerating at low revs. It was really noticeable.
Peak torque doesn't kick in till 1,000 rpm more than the M40i. That doesn't help it at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #70
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

People worried about the ride comfort... don't forget this is (oddly) the Competition only that's been given to be tested, not the regular X3M. Remember there is quite a dramatic difference between an M5 and an M5 Competition (especially pointed out by Joe Achilles IIRC).
Appreciate 1
Transfer5242.50
      06-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #71
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

One pet peeve of mine is that BMW is now putting buttons on the shift levers. That is a No-No! Especially with the over complicated hundreds of buttons and distracted idiot drivers sharing the roads today.

I had an old Volvo stick shift with a button on the top it for 5th gear and a bazaar lift up lever for reverse, it was totally asinine. The 5th gear button that was on the top did not always engage 5th gear when necessary when you were on the highway.

Also another reason why there should NEVER be buttons on a shift lever, is because you can accidentally press one and engage something you didn't want to. And in a split-second it could cause a potential user error accident.

BMW Designers/Engineers and gamers, a shift lever is not a joystick. There is NO reset button when you drive in the real world.

Don't get me started regarding the electronic emergency brake concept and that all the new vehicles do not have a manual emergency break anymore.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #72
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #73
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher5 View Post
Can't wait to retrofit that steering wheel to my X3 M40i
Yes, it is an awesome steering wheel but, you shouldn't have to spend the additional money and install it yourself. It should have came with it! As BMW pictured and advertised it.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #74
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Drove the car at an M Event in Miami this weekend. I echo some of the comments. Lots of lag when accelerating and a strong feeling of detachment vis-à-vis steering and acceleration. I left disappointed in general, expected the car to generate a feeling, that je ne sais quoi that an M3/M4 gives you, but it wasn't there. The X5M does a much better job weighing a lot more.
Not sure how a SUV can feel like an M3/4 with the extra weight and higher centre of gravity.

Just avoid the SUV and get the new M3/4...
The main issues were steering and acceleration. I didn't expect it to feel just like an M3/M4, but at least closer to it.

My expectations were rightly set in my opinion. The X3M underperformed them. Especially the lag when accelerating at low revs. It was really noticeable.
How did the lag compare to the current M3/4?

They have less torque, but also a lot less weight so will be easier to accelerate for a given throttle opening.
I barely feel the lag on my M3 competition, and only in some instances.

This was unbearable at lower revs. I pushed full throttle and I felt suspended before it kicked in. I can't measure it in time, but it was really big for me.

If you had the car going at higher revs (like 3.5k? It was ok).
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #75
Jmm_22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm_22 View Post
I drove the X3M at a dealership during the M Tour last week, had it for a little over 45 minutes and took it on windy roads and a little on the highway. I did not like the exhaust as it sounds a lot like the S55. Ride quality wasn't too bad, but I'm used to the M2 as my daily driver.

I think it falls short of the Macan GTS/Turbo and Giulia Quadrofoglio in terms of speed/acceleration and handling.

Left disappointed, as I was looking at this for my girlfriend.
So your girlfriend wears the and drives the pants in the relationship?
I had some extra time and test drove it to see if she'd like it. I'm not buying her the car, I just know what she prefers, as I've test driven multiple SUVs with her. I hate SUVs, I have my M2 and GT3 to myself.

Nice attempt at an insult though.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 12:06 AM   #76
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Drove the car at an M Event in Miami this weekend. I echo some of the comments. Lots of lag when accelerating and a strong feeling of detachment vis-à-vis steering and acceleration. I left disappointed in general, expected the car to generate a feeling, that je ne sais quoi that an M3/M4 gives you, but it wasn't there. The X5M does a much better job weighing a lot more.
Not sure how a SUV can feel like an M3/4 with the extra weight and higher centre of gravity.

Just avoid the SUV and get the new M3/4...

How did the lag compare to the current M3/4?

They have less torque, but also a lot less weight so will be easier to accelerate for a given throttle opening.
I barely feel the lag on my M3 competition, and only in some instances.

This was unbearable at lower revs. I pushed full throttle and I felt suspended before it kicked in. I can't measure it in time, but it was really big for me.

If you had the car going at higher revs (like 3.5k? It was ok).
I wonder if it's the combination of weight + 8ZF Tranny
I still can't believe our beloved DCT is no more.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 12:52 AM   #77
SpenceRx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i EBII

Great straight pipes review.

I had a loaner X3 40i and it was a monster. This must be special.
      06-18-2019, 12:57 AM   #78
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

X3 Is The Star

X3 M is shaping up to be the better of the twins. Not only does it look better but it retains the classic SUV utility aspects that make many opt to buy an SUV in the first place.

The X4 M seems like a lost opportunity for me as it has no real style or dynamic edge to justify the the practicality it gives away to the SUV or the performance that it will surely concede to the upcoming 4door/coupe variants.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 03:06 AM   #79
Gonven
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Carwow review is quite positive including suspension... from a Brit! Makes you wonder what happened to the Top Gear team.
And the exhaust sound is pretty decent
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:51 AM   #80
jhigg85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas Marina Blue 15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
Waiting for the only review that matters: Doug Demuro's
It's Daddy DeMuro as Tyler likes to call him.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #81
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonven View Post
Quote:
Carwow review is quite positive including suspension... from a Brit! Makes you wonder what happened to the Top Gear team.
This was actually very good, one of the highlights. And turning it on or off with the button made a huge difference!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #82
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Perhaps the X3M40i would be a better match for what you're looking for?
Possibly! However, I have been waiting to buy my first M now for a while so I am keen on getting an M3/4 still. I probably would have really enjoyed the F82 had I just gone for it but now with the newer cars arriving and tech/interiors advancing I feel like I've left getting into that generation too late now. All of them would be a big step up form my E92 in any case.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #83
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Quote:
I know everyone is different, but I actually find the M3C pretty comfortable in err, comfort mode and so does SWMBO. I like a car to feel a bit sporty, but for me it's "Goldilocks".
No problems with the kind of roads we have in UK? It handles bumpy A/B-roads fine? Main thing don't want is to harsh ride whilst going on the motorway to work everyday. I'm fine with having a mode which stiffens the car up more, reviews and videos seemed to suggest 'comfort' isn't really all that soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK__LA View Post
I don't know which F8X you've driven but my 18' ZCP is a Lexus on comfort.
I literally cannot leave the garage without sports + everything before I drive off.
It was a 2018 M4 comp, but the test drive roads we went on were all fairly smooth. I'm happy for the car to be stiffer overall as thats what its meant to be, just some of the roads I need to commute on (old style loud concrete motorways) are pretty horrendous even in my current car and some of the reviews I've read have mentioned competition cars were too stiff in comfort mode (thus in my mind rendering sport and sport+ modes unusable).
Sounds like I need to do another test drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #84
JAY56641
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Disappointed.....

Overal lackluster reviews. I was hoping it would be the M2 of SUV's and was planning on buying one (used after a few years). Have always love the X3m40i and it's looking like it's a far better value and product than paying the extra M premium. Too bad BMW missed the mark on this one.
      06-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #85
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETSGTSTARSKY View Post
If people want mush, they should go buy a lexus!
Well said!
Lexus mush is why I am selling the Lexus to buy the X3M C as a daily. Keeping the Gts for the fun and occasional track days. The X3M C will feel comfortable in comparison...
For people concerned with comfort, get the 20" wheels as an option. Should make a difference over the 21" wheels.

Last edited by jpdchicago; 06-18-2019 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #86
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
There is no 20" option
I double checked. You are right. Have to get the regular X3M to get 20".
Still an option for those who want the M and do not care about the extra performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #87
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Weight is still biggest issue.

200 lbs over weight. Should be around 4400lbs
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #88
Gonven
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonven View Post
Quote:
This was actually very good, one of the highlights. And turning it on or off with the button made a huge difference!
True story i was checking that, and the difference is really consistent
Appreciate 0