BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #23
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Normal. Direct injection is loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #24
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremebimmer View Post
I read about some N20 engines having an issue with the plastic timing chain guides being defective, which can supposedly destroy the engine if the chain breaks/jumps off. My X3 was produced in 4/2013 and is a model year 2014 with the N20 engine.
According to BMW, this issue is limited to vehicles with the N20 engine produced before 3/2013, so your X3 should not be affected.

see: https://bmwtechnician.com/2017/08/02...-bmw-bulletin/

-Bruce
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #25
RMM321
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X3, 07 E91, 08 E88, 15 F10

I caught my timing chain failing *just* in time

I personally just had the timing chain re-done on my 2013 X3 2.0xDrive. It was at 132,000 miles and for me it was very sudden, no noise, no drive quality issues. As others on this post have mentioned, 'technically' its not the chain but the plastic guide that fails, cracks, breaks, and then disintegrates.

I typically do most of my repairs myself, but felt this was out of my expertise and did not have the tools to hold cams in place during the job. I took it to an Indy shop I trust where I order my parts.

For me everything was just fine, drove kids to school, drove to a meeting, drove to office, then was getting in the x3 to head to lunch and got a drive train malfunction, NOT a check engine light. Went home to get Bavtech Scan tool instead of lunch and pulled a "120408 charge pressure control deactivation - pressure build-up blocked" code.

I had just, 2,000 miles prior, put on a new turbocharger (with new waste gate controller) with pneumatic wastegate. My wastegate bushing was shot, another typical N20 problem (embarrassing rattle and WEAK boost).

I figured I'd pinched, nicked, loosely attached a vacuum line or something from that job. Check the lines, Clear the code, try again, and it comes back.

After the 2nd time clearing it, I now get a check engine light with the drive train malfunction. This time also now have 130E20 "Intake Camshaft offset angle to crankcase outside tolerance" SH******TTTTT!!

I limp it to the shop, we try new Vanos Solenoids, hoping that's the problem. No go. Also discover A LOT of oil in the vacuum reservoir. We drain it, and after another restart can actually HEAR oil flowing back into the reservoir through vacuum line from vacuum pump. (Vacuum pump on N20 is driven by intake camshaft)

Watching the camshaft angles with the new Vanos Solenoids installed on his scan tool the camshaft just CANNOT get back within tolerances, which means the chain has stretched somehow.

Most obvious reason based on N20 history is a failed/failing plastic guide.

Sure enough, later that night he calls me to say he is picking the guide out in pieces, it is disintegrating as he removes it. The chain has stretched. I was honestly minutes away from a catastrophic failure. Shop owner said I should have turned it off and had it towed in.

LUCKILY, in my case, we caught it before it completely failed, so we did not have to replace oil pump or pump chain. Additionally, the chain did not jump the gear teeth so the engine did not eat itself.

There was also a lot of metallic sludge in oil pan. This engine was very close to being a VERY unhappy N20. I diligently change the oil and filter.

I never heard the 'dentist drill' whining noise when my timing chain failed. It was way out of even the extended warranty. I probably extended the life by being very diligent with oil changes and maintenance which is how i got to 130k. I am trying for some reimbursement from BMW NA but not holding my breath.

The expense was almost all labor, shop guidelines shows 20 hours with Xdrive (subframe and transfer case must be removed). The parts kit wasn't too bad in the $200-$300 range (I also had other unrelated things done while it was dis-assembled so don't remember exactly how much of parts total was timing chain kit)

In regards to people asking about 'checking' or 'preventative' maintenance. unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to take it apart and look. If you're going to pay for the labor to do that (or do the labor yourself), you might as well just swap for out the re-engineered guides and new chain and be done with it.

I don't understand why i was getting oil in vacuum resevoir. But since the repair I've checked a few times and its clean. The shop checked the vacuum pump while they had it off and it was fine. Maybe someone else knows why the oil was being sucked into reservoir.

I'm now 3,000 miles past the repair and all is right in the N20. . . for now. About 1,500 miles of that was a road trip with hours of constant highway miles and remainder was stop and go city driving/accelration.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #26
harjan49@yahoo.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

BMW owners, don't just rely completely on RiicK's dangerous remark "The N20 has no timing chain issues. It's just bullshit internet rumor" and base your decisions. I have the 2013 X3 2.0L which went down while driving. It popped up with message of DriverTrain malfunction and shutdown engine in few seconds with no ability to control to pull the car off the road for safety. Message advised to tow the car to dealership which we did. The dealership diagnosed the Timing belt mechanism broken! Surprising the X3 was serviced by same BMW dealership 3 weeks before which included Oil Change. At that time dealership also suggested additional service of coolant change and fuel injection service which was done. But they couldn't diagnose any deterioration of timing chain belt mechanism. When asked why it failed, they have no way to tell that either - it just failed is the only answer. Also they are now forcing me to replace the entire engine at very high total cost of parts and service for no fault of mine (My duty was to take the car to dealership for service and ask whatever service required to be done, which I did just three weeks before the timing chain mechanism failure. My duty is to pay which also I did. To keep their own technology running safe is the job of BMW and its dealership doing my service.) It is BMW's own Design decision to embed the Timing chain Mechanism within the engine and so they should be responsible for monitoring and able to diagnose its deterioration. Owners/Drivers have no visual indication (since it is embeded within the engine) nor the instrument panel has any messages to display the deterioration before it fails so the Owner/Driver can take precautionary measures! This is BMW and we just only go for its Brand name and clever advertising whereas they do not have technology to identify, diagnose nor onboard instrument panel and screens to tell you about this delicate mechanism that fails ALL OF A SUDDEN WITHOUT ANY PRIOR WANRNINGS! Even a fifth grader would argue why do they want to use plastic parts instead of metal parts for such an important mechanism on which the entire engine, traction and maneuverability while driving depends on! Readers, you do not know what HELL experience you get when your vehicle running on road with so many surrounding cars at high speed suddenly stops due to timing chain failure! You are not even left with ability to drive your car out of road for your own safety and safety of others and other's property!. Simply because BMW Design used plastic parts in Timing chain belt instead of replacing them by metal parts which could avoid such dangerous failures that can be fatal to driver, passengers within and to cars and people surrounding it at the time of failure? Is this the design you would expect from a company like BMW to whom even a fifth grader can advise to use metal parts instead of plastic for Timing Chain mechanism?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #27
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjan49@yahoo.com View Post
BMW owners, don't just rely completely on RiicK's dangerous remark "The N20 has no timing chain issues. It's just bullshit internet rumor" and base your decisions. I have the 2013 X3 2.0L which went down while driving. It popped up with message of DriverTrain malfunction and shutdown engine in few seconds with no ability to control to pull the car off the road for safety. Message advised to tow the car to dealership which we did. The dealership diagnosed the Timing belt mechanism broken! Surprising the X3 was serviced by same BMW dealership 3 weeks before which included Oil Change. At that time dealership also suggested additional service of coolant change and fuel injection service which was done. But they couldn't diagnose any deterioration of timing chain belt mechanism. When asked why it failed, they have no way to tell that either - it just failed is the only answer. Also they are now forcing me to replace the entire engine at very high total cost of parts and service for no fault of mine (My duty was to take the car to dealership for service and ask whatever service required to be done, which I did just three weeks before the timing chain mechanism failure. My duty is to pay which also I did. To keep their own technology running safe is the job of BMW and its dealership doing my service.) It is BMW's own Design decision to embed the Timing chain Mechanism within the engine and so they should be responsible for monitoring and able to diagnose its deterioration. Owners/Drivers have no visual indication (since it is embeded within the engine) nor the instrument panel has any messages to display the deterioration before it fails so the Owner/Driver can take precautionary measures! This is BMW and we just only go for its Brand name and clever advertising whereas they do not have technology to identify, diagnose nor onboard instrument panel and screens to tell you about this delicate mechanism that fails ALL OF A SUDDEN WITHOUT ANY PRIOR WANRNINGS! Even a fifth grader would argue why do they want to use plastic parts instead of metal parts for such an important mechanism on which the entire engine, traction and maneuverability while driving depends on! Readers, you do not know what HELL experience you get when your vehicle running on road with so many surrounding cars at high speed suddenly stops due to timing chain failure! You are not even left with ability to drive your car out of road for your own safety and safety of others and other's property!. Simply because BMW Design used plastic parts in Timing chain belt instead of replacing them by metal parts which could avoid such dangerous failures that can be fatal to driver, passengers within and to cars and people surrounding it at the time of failure? Is this the design you would expect from a company like BMW to whom even a fifth grader can advise to use metal parts instead of plastic for Timing Chain mechanism?
My timing chain failed at 100,000 km (60~ thousand miles).

I don't see Riicks posts as he's on my ignore list, and it's rather shocking he's still allowed in these forums anyway, but you're correct: ignore his "advices" and read up on things that actually happen to these cars. He has very little mechanical knowledge to boot, so no reason to fess up.

And, as always,
Appreciate 1
Scout1086.00
      11-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #28
OTK_KART
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
I hope yours is cover under the extended warranty (7 years / 112000).
________4158.50
      11-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #29
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGKART View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
I hope yours is cover under the extended warranty (7 years / 112000).
It was covered under the extended warranty I have on the car.

Car is now at 152,000 Km. Turbo was replaced at 140,000 Km...

What's next? LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #30
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

Yep, N20 powered BMW cars and SUVs are breaking left and right. It's an epidemic.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #31
its4kito
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

timing chain failure

My 2006 X3 engine (bought it new) failed at over 100k miles because of metal in the oil and my 2013 X3 (certified pre-owned) failed at 84k miles because of metal in the oil. Both engines had to be replaced.There is something wrong with a timing chain breaking. Don't question my maintenance record, because it is all documented. The dealer in MA quoted me $16,000 for a new engine. Now, you think I'm going to buy another BMW?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #32
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

Is that maintenance record from BMW doing all the maintenance or Jiffy Lube?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #33
nastradacha
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 f25

Has any one attempted to do the repair themself
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #34
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by its4kito View Post
My 2006 X3 engine (bought it new) failed at over 100k miles because of metal in the oil and my 2013 X3 (certified pre-owned) failed at 84k miles because of metal in the oil. Both engines had to be replaced.There is something wrong with a timing chain breaking. Don't question my maintenance record, because it is all documented. The dealer in MA quoted me $16,000 for a new engine. Now, you think I'm going to buy another BMW?
All CPO BMW's come with a 5 year unlimited mile warranty. The engine replacement cost you $0. Why wouldn't you buy another BMW if they replaced your engine for free? Sounds pretty amazing to get a brand new engine. Oh, and the fact that you get a brand new BMW as a loaner vehicle for free until it's fixed?? SCORE!

Did BMW USA do all your maintenance to your BMW's and anyone can pull your VIN# and see the full maintenance record? If both vehicles you own have metal in the oil whoever is doing your maintenance (it's clearly not BMW) is fucking your cars up.

Your story is fake.

Last edited by Riick; 01-23-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #35
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

Riick . . . . . .

What people here really need to do is realize that they are all stupid, liars,
fakers, illiterate, worthless, and no one knows what they are talking about.
Specifically about the N20 issue.

But first others must realize that someone ?? KNOW WHO ? ?
is just using a big SPOON to stir up his own caldron.

When thats done, then the clouds will part, birds will chirp, & reality will go on reguardless, you will even be able to balance the check book again !

if you want to
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:21 PM   #36
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Moral of the story: Have a BMW dealer do your service and pay the extra price or do your own service and document with VinWiki, carfax, or something along the lines of that. I change my oil every 2,000 miles in addition to BMW changing it every 8k or so. I am aware the 2k miles is way more frequent then I need to but I beat on the car pretty hard so she gets new lube often. I have a N55 but I am sure using good oil and frequent changes would severely reduce the chance of timing chain failure. If you fall so deeply into the rumor and believe your car will explode, buy an N55 model or move out of an X3.

Hope we can finally put this post to bed in a ~Peaceful~ manner.
Appreciate 1
scostu1621.00
      01-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #37
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
Normal. Direct injection is loud.
Where the heck did you read that ! OMG !
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #38
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Quote:
All CPO BMW's come with a 5 year unlimited mile warranty. The engine replacement cost you $0. Why wouldn't you buy another BMW if they replaced your engine for free? Sounds pretty amazing to get a brand new engine. Oh, and the fact that you get a brand new BMW as a loaner vehicle for free until it's fixed?? SCORE!
The guy said he has a 2013, so that X3 would originally have been delivered between mid 2012 and mid 2013. 5 years from those dates would have his CPO warranty ended between 6 and 18 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #39
F30ed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, X3 35M

After 2 years of reading on "N20 Timing chain" I am inclined to think there is no preventive maintenance that will help you to avoid the failure. Plastic guide falls apart just because it was manufactured in a wrong way (probably material defect or formula).
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #40
GNX423
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28xi

2013 x3 timing chain issue

Good day all, I have a 2013 x3 with 112K miles on it. Went into limp mode throwing codes related to cam position, and upon restart when I got home bent all of the intake valves.
The timing chain guide was mostly missing and very brittle, almost like when plastic is left out in the sun. half of it was int he old pan in chunks. The chain tensioner could no longer take up the slack int he chain, and it jumped timing on the intake cam, valves meeting the pistons and bending them.
Well out of warranty, so on my own for repairs I ended up getting a long block out of a 2016 f30 and swapped it out. Its a very sensitive engine.
I was going to fix the original engine, but would have to remove it to get the head and oil pan off. Not worth the effort.

Just sharing my experience.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #41
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

GNX423 . . . . . . BUMMER !
but you did get some miles out of it first.
Don't let " Riick" see this, he'll call you a liar that it didn't happen ? (for some unknown reason ! ! )
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #42
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
All CPO BMW's come with a 5 year unlimited mile warranty.
BMW CPO is 1 year unlimited mile warranty tacked onto the end of remaining factory warranty.
      02-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #43
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

It may be that now... but on a 9 month old demo bought in Nov 15...our CPO was an extra 2 years (4 original + 2 CPO) through 100,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #44
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
Some BMWs in the USA with the N20 engine are covered by an extended warranty for the timing chain problem. There is more information on the extended warranty at the link below.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1098641

Reimbursement may be available for some engines that were repaired for this problem at the owner's expense.

http://bmw-rp.com/production/bmw/rei...bmw_portal.nsf
No mention of this in Canada, I wonder why?
Appreciate 0