BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #111
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Got mine back today after 2 weeks. Alpine white. Finally looks like it should have new.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #112
Newx3mowner
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Everyone having peeling paint issues, what is your build date? Curious to see how long this issue has been going on for.

My 2020 X3M has a build date of 02/20. Currently have a peeling spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #113
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
So I went in today to tell them not to paint it. I said id rather have a good black paint job then a bad red one. But it was already sent out. Also since the G01 spoiler doesn't overlap the bottom piece peeling won't be an issue.
Will the M-perf flow through spoiler cover this? If so I may go that route once I get it back if mine peels again.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #114
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcat2m4 View Post
Quote:
So I went in today to tell them not to paint it. I said id rather have a good black paint job then a bad red one. But it was already sent out. Also since the G01 spoiler doesn't overlap the bottom piece peeling won't be an issue.
Will the M-perf flow through spoiler cover this? If so I may go that route once I get it back if mine peels again.
It's a whole new spoiler. It comes in two pieces. The bottom piece is the regular spoiler from the G01 and the top piece gets glued to it. The G01 spoiler doesn't overlap the gloss black lower part of the spoiler like ours does. that's why they haven't had any issues with peeling. So long story short I wouldn't expect any peeling issues from the mperf setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #115
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
It's a whole new spoiler. It comes in two pieces. The bottom piece is the regular spoiler from the G01 and the top piece gets glued to it. The G01 spoiler doesn't overlap the gloss black lower part of the spoiler like ours does. that's why they haven't had any issues with peeling. So long story short I wouldn't expect any peeling issues from the mperf setup.
I may just go this exact same route if I have peeling issues again when I get my car back.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #116
M3coco
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3m

Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for bringing this issue to the attention of other people. I just purchased my car a few weeks ago cpo'd with like fourteen thousand miles on it. After reading this thread, I checked under my car, and guess what, the paint was peeling in the exact same spot and on the spoiler. I went to my local dealer, which I did not buy the car from, but insisted they take a look at it. They told me that they would need the regional rep to look at it, to make sure it was covered under warranty. They said that since I was the second owner, they couldn't guarantee anything. Just got a call from them, and after much debate, they are covering it under warranty, and taking it to one of the top BMW certified paint shops where I live. Hopefully they will do a good job. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #117
08mojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Add me to the list. BMW NA rep looking at my car tomorrow. Sophisto grey, paint peeling on spoiler and rear bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:10 PM   #118
evo-mike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mojo View Post
Add me to the list. BMW NA rep looking at my car tomorrow. Sophisto grey, paint peeling on spoiler and rear bumper.
How did you get the bmwna rep to look at it?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #119
TdoggX3MCOMP
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Comp

Quote:
I have called BMW NA 3 times and sent my complaint to the escalation department. I have also been waiting 45 days for the BMW rep to come out to the dealership to inspect my car. I mean really? What is there to inspect the paint is peeling off numerous vehicles. This is absolutely horrible & the worst customer service experience in my life. This is the second brand new BMW that I have bought in the last 2 years with paint issues. How in the world can the paint be this problematic on a $83K vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:58 PM   #120
M3coco
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdoggX3MCOMP View Post
I have called BMW NA 3 times and sent my complaint to the escalation department. I have also been waiting 45 days for the BMW rep to come out to the dealership to inspect my car. I mean really? What is there to inspect the paint is peeling off numerous vehicles. This is absolutely horrible & the worst customer service experience in my life. This is the second brand new BMW that I have bought in the last 2 years with paint issues. How in the world can the paint be this problematic on a $83K vehicle.
That's rediculous. How is the dealership ok with that? Make sure you show them all the posts and photos on here, that's only reason they didn't deny my claim as "they'd never seen anything like this before". Can't deny anything after you have a forum full of people with issues like that.
Appreciate 1
dusty8033.00
      11-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #121
btks
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Competition

Well, I’m here to report the same with my X3MC Alpine White with a build date of Oct 2019. I am very disappointed. It’s peeling on the bottom of the right rear bumper and there is bubbling and minor peeling on the spoiler. When I had Xpel PPF installed on the front bumper, I noticed a small chip in the paint on the front bumper and figured I was unlucky to have that happen between the drive home from the dealership (~50 miles) and then to the PPF shop. But given how my rear bumper looks, I bet the front bumper would look exactly like this had they not touched it up and installed the PPF. Is this only occurring on 2020 vehicles or are any of the 2021s experience this as well?
Attached Images

Last edited by btks; 11-19-2020 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #122
08mojo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Brought it to my local dealership. They sent pics to BMW, and BMW subsequently sent a rep to take a look. Repairs have been approved as of today, just waiting to schedule the repairs to be completed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #123
08mojo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by btks View Post
Well, I’m here to report the same with my X3MC Alpine White with a build date of Oct 2019. I am very disappointed. It’s peeling on the bottom of the right rear bumper and there is bubbling and minor peeling on the spoiler. When I had Xpel PPF installed on the front bumper, I noticed a small chip in the paint on the front bumper and figured I was unlucky to have that happen between the drive home from the dealership (~50 miles) and then to the PPF shop. But given how my rear bumper looks, I bet the front bumper would look exactly like this had they not touched it up and installed the PPF. Is this only occurring on 2020 vehicles or are any of the 2021s experience this as well?
Mine is isolated to the rear exhaust surround, just as shown in your pics. So far, my front bumper and actual rear bumper are okay. If your front is peeling, PPF won't help at all....if the paint peels, the PPF will come along with the paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #124
evo-mike
Captain
Rep

I've had my regular spoiler repainted twice, it's peeled every time. I've gone to the mperf rear spoiler and it started peeling within a week. Car isn't even 4mo old, has 3k miles and needing a 4th paint job. Now waiting for the field rep I guess to figure their shit out. Repainting isn't solving the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #125
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

I can't believe I see and read all this catastrophic situation which is going on with such beautiful M car. it makes me so frustrated understanding how the quality on current bmw production just ruining the over a century reputation by such big flag man like BMW. and this is M car. An actual example of performance reliability and respect to the whole car brand. un fucking believable.

I hope all you guys who has an issues with all this crap will get it fixed by dealer under warranty. Good luck
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      11-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #126
goose1207
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, Porsche 911, BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdoggX3MCOMP View Post
Not sure which dealer you're using but no problems here getting it addressed with Herb Chambers BMW in Boston. Plus their body shop in Holliston is BMW Certified, which is uncommon.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #127
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
I've had my regular spoiler repainted twice, it's peeled every time. I've gone to the mperf rear spoiler and it started peeling within a week. Car isn't even 4mo old, has 3k miles and needing a 4th paint job. Now waiting for the field rep I guess to figure their shit out. Repainting isn't solving the issue.
Is it possible there's contamination issues with the spoilers and some of these bumper covers?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #128
evo-mike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Is it possible there's contamination issues with the spoilers and some of these bumper covers?
Unlikely since it's peeled on both the regular and mperformance versions. My service manager said they think it's flexing. Not sure I like that answer since there's probably not a fix for that.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #129
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just noticed the state of the front bumper! This was a video sent from the dealership service centre "free health check".
Attached Images

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #130
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
Just noticed the state of the front bumper! This was a video sent from the dealership service centre "free health check".
What have they said Rusty, are they repainting it?
      11-26-2020, 05:58 AM   #131
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
What have they said Rusty, are they repainting it?
It's another trip to the dealership to get them to inspect it. I have never noticed it until they sent me the video yesterday.

I'm going to get some better photos tomorrow.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      11-29-2020, 06:59 AM   #132
gregreed8313
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Anyone else having paint peeling issues with the gloss black trim, specifically the lower front grill? Noticed a quarter size piece of paint flake off the other day during a quick detail. Going to contact my dealership tomorrow but would be good to know if others are also having similar issues. TIA
Appreciate 0