BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-10-2024, 08:24 PM   #1
Resu
Rep
Drives: Honda

Consensus on buying BWM Demo X3MCs?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Howdy.

Was thinking about snagging a 2022 X3MC in indivdiual Sepia Metallic from Century West BMW in Cali.

It's got a hair under 2K miles so I thought it'd be an ok buy. Yet now I find myself second guessing the decision. At $75K I'd say it's on the high side price wise.

Asked the salesguy if they knew the origin behind it. Individual on a demo car seems an odd choice, but I frequently see it on press cars. I've not come across any reviews/pics of a sepia 22 X3MCs so I do not think it was a press car.

Only reason I know of the color is someone in here snagged a 22 X3MC in Sepia. I think this demo is actually the same spec. As if someone saw that order and said I like it, make me one too.

Last edited by Resu; 03-15-2024 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:17 AM   #2
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Sepia is a beautiful color - Not in the market, but may head over to check it out this weekend just to see that color in person, if it's still there. Seems fairly priced gievn the miles, individual color, and what 23s with low mileage are going for in comparison. Not certain what demo car status means, but ask them to chip off a couple thousand if you're contemplating picking it up. Worst case, they say no and you walk.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2024, 01:25 AM   #3
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resu View Post
Howdy.

Was thinking about snagging a 2022 X3MC in individual Sepia Metallic from Century BMW in Cali.

It's got a hair under 2K miles so I thought it'd be an ok buy. Yet now I find myself second guessing the decision. At $75K I'd say it's on the high side price wise.

Asked the sales guy if they knew the backstory behind it. Individual on a demo car seems an odd choice, but I frequently see it done on press cars. Yet I've not come across any reviews/pics of sepia 22 X3MCs so I do not think it was a press car.

Only reason I know of the color is someone in here snagged a 22 X3MC in Sepia. I think this demo is actually the same spec. As if someone saw that order and said I like it, make me one too.
Century West BMW is where I bought my 2020 X3 MC from too. It was a super low mileage BMW corporate car with a hair over 1k miles. I think it had something like 1,039 on it at the time of purchase. It got bumped at the VDC & needed the rear bumper repainted. So they had to present me (by law) with a disclaimer clearly stating it needed $3 k in repairs. Anything less than that, I believe they're (the dealership) not required by law to inform you about.

I still had to pay a lot to get mine. It was $74-76k if my memory serves me right. But it was a super clear car overall & well taken care of. Have them print out a "service history" report for you. If the exterior & interior is still flawless, you might want to snag this one before someone else does. I'm sure they performed that mandatory 1,200 mile break-in / run-in service.

I looked for it in their CPO inventory & couldn't find it or see it listed anywhere. My X3 MC was also not visible & had no photos on the listing of it before it hit the dealership floor. And another guy / potential buyer her on the forum had already called about it. But he walked away after that call because of the small bump to the easily replaceable rear bumper. LOL So I quickly & eagerly snagged it before anyone else could cut in front of me again. Flew out there & drove it home.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:29 AM   #4
Resu
Rep

From my understanding demo means no CPO or extended warranty. Factory warranty good until May 26.

Color is exceptional, and even tho I’m normally a Marina Bay Blue kinda guy I’d love to see this Sepia in my life. lol
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2024, 01:33 AM   #5
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resu View Post
From my understanding demo means no CPO or extended warranty. Factory warranty good until May 26.

Color is exceptional, and even tho I’m normally a Marina Bay Blue kinda guy I’d love to see this Sepia in my life. lol
I didn't think about that part. At 2 years old & only 2k on the clock, you should have nothing to worry about at all. As long as the car wasn't tracked. If you know of a solid & reputable indy shop in your area, that might help. Having a quick simply walk around PPI might not hurt either.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:37 AM   #6
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just founded but will not post the link so others get the jump on it. Looks clean with no signs of wear or abuse from the photos. But it's always good to see things in person. This a very cool color!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:41 AM   #7
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTanks52 View Post
Sepia is a beautiful color - Not in the market, but may head over to check it out this weekend just to see that color in person, if it's still there. Seems fairly priced gievn the miles, individual color, and what 23s with low mileage are going for in comparison. Not certain what demo car status means, but ask them to chip off a couple thousand if you're contemplating picking it up. Worst case, they say no and you walk.
Having previous experience in buying from them in the past, they're very tight with their numbers & don't budge much. If at all. Given that this dealership sits in the North Hollywood where people have loads of new money, don't count on them chipping anything worthwhile away. Trust me, I've already tried.

I will see this though. Buying a car "as is" without much warranty is a little concerning. As them to at least cut you a substantial / deep discount on an extended warranty. That alone might be worth the coin if you want to keep this for at least 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 02:10 AM   #8
Resu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Just founded but will not post the link so others get the jump on it. Looks clean with no signs of wear or abuse from the photos. But it's always good to see things in person. This a very cool color!
I figured if someone wanted deets they could hunt it down. ATM it has my name on it, and not available. lol

Yea the pics are not the best, but it looks clean. No obvious large dings. Front bumper & undertay appear unscuffed from curbs/parking stops. Driver seat is not thrashed.

Quote:
Having previous experience in buying from them in the past, they're very tight with their numbers & don't budge much. If at all. Given that this dealership sits in the North Hollywood where people have loads of new money, don't count on them chipping anything worthwhile away. Trust me, I've already tried.
My experience as well. They were firm, and it was only after it dropped $1k last Fri that I reached out.

More I thought about it today, the more concerned I became about a "demo" car. Are X3MCs used as PDC cars? Tho I think that has to be disclosed.

I found it interesting this one has black calipers, just like the user in here. At first I thought it was their car. Then I saw the original reg in NJ and realized it was a fleet car.

I did ask the salesguy about the frst oil change which I believe is needed at 1200 miles. Did not see it on the Carfax so I asked if one cuold be done.

That ties back into the request for a print out of the service record. I'll have to do so. Also saw something about a "key read".

Edit: I'm already planning mods too. Neuspeed RSe102s in 20x9.5 et 25 w/ 275/40 Contis square. AA single mid-pipe. RK intake(maybe cos it seems LOUD lol). CF center console. MAED/JQ paddles.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 07:03 PM   #9
TacosRule!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

If they're serious about selling an old car (it's close to three years now based on in-service date) tell em to CPO it.

Mine was a 2022 when I bought it in late 2023, the woman who custom ordered it (and got the simple white with black interior) put 12K miles in a year. Told the dealer if you want to sell it CPO it at no charge to me.

They did, and I bought it.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 09:28 PM   #10
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

My guess is that a car like this has been used at their M-school at Thermal, CA.
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2024, 04:41 PM   #11
anthemavm
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
My guess is that a car like this has been used at their M-school at Thermal, CA.
I wouldnt touch a car that might have been BMW owned. I have been to Thermal 3 times and we are really hard on those cars.

Michael
Appreciate 1
Diskz6.50
      03-13-2024, 09:52 PM   #12
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Random and unrelated, but Century and Century West are two different dealerships. As you mention later, Century West is in North Hollywood and Century is in San Gabriel.

Quote:
Century West BMW is where I bought my 2020 X3 MC from too. It was a super low mileage BMW corporate car with a hair over 1k miles. I think it had something like 1,039 on it at the time of purchase. It got bumped at the VDC & needed the rear bumper repainted. So they had to present me (by law) with a disclaimer clearly stating it needed $3 k in repairs. Anything less than that, I believe they're (the dealership) not required by law to inform you about.

I still had to pay a lot to get mine. It was $74-76k if my memory serves me right. But it was a super clear car overall & well taken care of. Have them print out a "service history" report for you. If the exterior & interior is still flawless, you might want to snag this one before someone else does. I'm sure they performed that mandatory 1,200 mile break-in / run-in service.

I looked for it in their CPO inventory & couldn't find it or see it listed anywhere. My X3 MC was also not visible & had no photos on the listing of it before it hit the dealership floor. And another guy / potential buyer her on the forum had already called about it. But he walked away after that call because of the small bump to the easily replaceable rear bumper. LOL So I quickly & eagerly snagged it before anyone else could cut in front of me again. Flew out there & drove it home.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:31 AM   #13
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthemavm View Post
I wouldnt touch a car that might have been BMW owned. I have been to Thermal 3 times and we are really hard on those cars.

Michael
Owned by BMW & tracked by BMW are two vastly different things though. So not sure if that blanket statement holds up across the board. Mine was a BMW corporate car. But never tracked. There would have to be a disclaimer for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
Random and unrelated, but Century and Century West are two different dealerships. As you mention later, Century West is in North Hollywood and Century is in San Gabriel.
Great catch here & you're right. Mine was purchase from Century West & the one in question here is located there as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:23 AM   #14
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Did you end up buying it? Don’t see it listed on their site any longer
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:10 PM   #15
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
What’s wrong with a car that’s been tracked? Is it like dating a stripper?
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 01:22 PM   #16
stoked335d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2002 Mspec Nur  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
What’s wrong with a car that’s been tracked? Is it like dating a stripper?
Maybe worse if it was tracked by many. More like marrying a prostitute.
2014 S4 APR stg1 444hp retired
2010 335d; 2004 WRX wagon; 1994 300ZX -retired
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 09:46 PM   #17
Resu
Rep

Quote:
Owned by BMW & tracked by BMW are two vastly different things though. So not sure if that blanket statement holds up across the board. Mine was a BMW corporate car. But never tracked. There would have to be a disclaimer for that.
This one was listed as “Partial Track”. In looking at pics it’s pretty damn clean. Driver seat wasn’t that worn so I don’t think a folks rotated in and out frequently. Driver door sill is the same. No major scuffs I could see. Headlights and bumper were the same. No visible pocks or chips in close up pics sent to me. Door cards didn’t show heavy marrs.

Granted BMW could have swapped in new parts, yet I doubt they'd bother. This dealership buys lots of demos. They’ve an M5 CS that’s “Full Track” and it shows. Hood is paint chip central. Granted it has 11K miles and listed for $137K with all that wear.

Perhaps that’s why this one was so clean it was barely tracked. Don’t know. lol Disclosure showed no repairs. I asked via text and confirmed if there were repairs it would have been listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTanks52 View Post
Did you end up buying it? Don’t see it listed on their site any longer
Yep, said YOLO. It’s going to be shipped.

Came to the decision to risk it. Miles are low. Not a full track. 26 months left on the warranty.

I’ll be sure to track(ha) the journey here. For better, or worse.

Last edited by Resu; 03-15-2024 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:43 PM   #18
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Resu I'm glad you chose to move forward with it. If you don't like it you will have ) regrets & easily be able to sell it. This one is rare. And so what if it was taken on an open track. Theses badass machines were built for the track. 3-4 laps at a time on a decent course isn't going to harm it. Check behind the front tires on the bottom part the front doors & behind the rear tires for small stuff. An AWD vehicle with this much power tends to kick up a lot of rad debris & people 95% of the time fail to check those high traffic areas. The good news is, if this was on a track, many tracks are much cleaner & well kept (compared to crummy city streets). So there's a lot less crap to kick up on a well looked after track. Looking forward to see this on the board.

Appreciate 0