BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #45
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Who leaves their car running unattended in an apartment complex when the temp is in the 50s?
What an idiot. You never ever leave a car running and unattended for even a second.
The owner was lucky that she did not leave a baby in the car. Can't imagine how a small kid would fare in such a horrific crash
It's doubtful the thief would've left the child in the car for 4 days between stealing it and the crash. I realize it's not always the case that days go by, just stating the obvious. I have feeling the same type of person leaving a car unattended running would also do so with a child or multiple in the car as well. Be on notice people, shut the car off and lock it when you leave. Especially with your wallet/purse in it.

As others have stated, too bad the thief got away with minimal damage. He's quite likely to steal again and drive in a manner endangering the lives of others once again.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 05:15 AM   #46
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

There's a lot of focus on the thief and the x3 owner but I would like to highlight, and switch focus to, the cop that flipped the car and maybe get a debate going on this one.

I was directly impacted by a similar event in that a cop chasing a stolen car, my son was a pedestrian at a corner, car lost control and hit another car killing the driver snd passenger, with the car landing on my son.

The thief was speeding in a busy area only because the cop pursued. If the cop had radioed, got others involved, my son wouldn't have been in hospital under critical condition and we'd likely have not seen death.

In this instance the cop flipped the car and the approaching suv was lucky, just damn lucky, the x3 did not land on them because they would be dead. Sometimes cops take too many liberties and endanger lives with car chases and a lot of times they end with bystander injuries that could have been avoided.

In this instance a lot of people were lucky.
Appreciate 5
bcoz80.50
wfdeacon881104.00
Roch M4424.00
anki122.50
      04-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #47
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Please explain why the exact temperature matters. 50 degrees is neither warm nor cold. What is your point, exactly?
Police: Warming car auto-thefts spike during bitter cold spell
https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loca...ter-cold-spell

I see these stories every year in the Northeast when temps are single digits and you can see every car in their driveway running unattended.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #48
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Where I live, if your vehicle is left running, unlocked and kept unattended resulting in your vehicle being stolen like in this case, insurance does NOT cover for theft cases like this.
      04-06-2019, 09:22 AM   #49
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercivility View Post
Where I live, if your vehicle is left running, unlocked and kept unattended resulting in your vehicle being stolen like in this case, insurance does NOT cover for theft cases like this.
It's called negligence as well. People need to start owning and taking responsibility for their own dumb actions.

If you don't want to invite would be thieves to take away your personal property, then you take the necessary steps to protect it. It's called common sense, a commodity that is generally missing in the younger millennial generation...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 4
lab_rat394.50
Roch M4424.00
scrammer421.50
      04-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #50
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
It's called negligence as well. People need to start owning and taking responsibility for their own dumb actions.

If you don't want to invite would be thieves to take away your personal property, then you take the necessary steps to protect it. It's called common sense, a commodity that is generally missing in the younger millennial generation...
Agree on this. Comfort access allows you to leave the engine running and lock the doors though for the newer models when engine is left running and you attempt to lock the door, the car would give 2 honks to remind you that the engine is still left running
      04-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #51
turbohugh
ASCMA General
Rep
Drives: E90-N54 <>E36 328Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agree on this. Comfort access allows you to leave the engine running and lock the doors though for the newer models when engine is left running and you attempt to lock the door, the car would give 2 honks to remind you that the engine is still left running
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Quote:
Who leaves their car running unattended in an apartment complex when the temp is in the 50s?
I think where I live it's a misdemeanor to leave a running car unattended and unlocked.
Stupid owner.

It's super easy to lock it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even without comfort access if you remove the key and then press the start button within 10 seconds it will start ( my e90 ) . Then using the fob i can lock the car . Anyone turning the car off wouldn't be able to restart it without the fob. I blame this negligent owner for setting the stage .
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #52
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Quote:
Please explain why the exact temperature matters. 50 degrees is neither warm nor cold. What is your point, exactly?
Police: Warming car auto-thefts spike during bitter cold spell
https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loca...ter-cold-spell

I see these stories every year in the Northeast when temps are single digits and you can see every car in their driveway running unattended.
Quote:
One feature that is a winner in my book is Remote Start.

At least vehicles w/remote start feature in use are covered under insurance policies. The big bonus being the vehicle can't be driven without having the car's proximity key present in the vehicle (at least in my wife's car).

I wish there was an easy way to incorporate remote start in my E90, especially on a hot Texas afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #53
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

“I just heard this crazy sound, gnarliest sound I’ve heard in my life,” Rody said. “There’s no way anybody should survive anything like that."

Ehh, it's all about how the energy is dispersed. This was an end over end crash with no real involvement of the passenger cabin. The final rest is on the driver's side, but at that point, all the real kinetic energy has been dispersed. I knew a guy who flipped his Chevy Avalanche end over end in a similar manner and he just had a concussion. It's those sideways slides into big old trees that tend to necessitate a call to the coroner.
      04-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #54
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
There's a lot of focus on the thief and the x3 owner but I would like to highlight, and switch focus to, the cop that flipped the car and maybe get a debate going on this one.

I was directly impacted by a similar event in that a cop chasing a stolen car, my son was a pedestrian at a corner, car lost control and hit another car killing the driver snd passenger, with the car landing on my son.

The thief was speeding in a busy area only because the cop pursued. If the cop had radioed, got others involved, my son wouldn't have been in hospital under critical condition and we'd likely have not seen death.

In this instance the cop flipped the car and the approaching suv was lucky, just damn lucky, the x3 did not land on them because they would be dead. Sometimes cops take too many liberties and endanger lives with car chases and a lot of times they end with bystander injuries that could have been avoided.

In this instance a lot of people were lucky.
I'm very sorry to hear that happened to your son. I do hope he is okay now. I shiver at the thought of anything like that happening to my son... I just can't even imagine the pain and suffering of a parent in that situation.

I agree 100% though that the police are the ones who are choosing to endanger the public in these situations and NOT the law-abiding citizen choosing to use his/her private property in a harmless way. If the police can't safely maneuver the perp off the road, they should simply take note of the license plate number and call it in so other police can be on the lookout. Again, it's just a car. If they get away temporarily (or for good), so be it. Not worth risking the lives of innocent bystanders just to rescue some sheet metal. The punishment for auto theft and fleeing from police should also be toughened to deter this kind of thing from happening so much.

Ultimately, the burden should fall on the criminal for taking the risk of stealing a car and on the police to do their job correctly, not the law-abiding citizen.
Stinkyxy152.00
      04-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #55
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

typical BMW drivers....
      04-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #56
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Good Luck explaining to insurance why you left car running
Are you an insurance adjuster?

If the lady was held at gunpoint instead, would insurance deny her a claim because the "car was running?" Some really stupid comments and arguments here.
Well apparently you didn't watch video
      04-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #57
laus102
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

wow, what a waste...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #58
DiGiPiMP
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMX X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
It's same as leaving a sign saying "Come take this please"
Appreciate 0