BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
laus102
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Replacing Halogen headlights with Xenon

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello all, my first post here.

I recently got a 2016 X3 xDrive28i.

My question: I am not a fan of the stock Halogen lights, and would much prefer to have Xenon (angel eye / corona).

If I were to purchase a set of these:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

would it be possible for the stock halogen headlights and these xenons to simply be swapped? (i.e. would the electronics match up and such).

My suspicion is that one cannot put adaptive headlights in an X3 that did not come with that feature as it would have to be connected to more than just the electronics (to the steering as well), but maybe the xenons would be plug and play?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:14 AM   #2
chadrandom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

I'm in the same boat. Somewhat shocked at how many 2016s there are with halogens. I'm starting to think that BMW did their customers a disservice as seemingly most cars from all manufactures, not just luxury brands, have been poring out xenon and LED lights for the past few years.

In any case, from the research I've done, it sounds like it's a retrofit that will cost a few grand just for the collection of parts needed to swap headlights if you buy all the parts new. Taillights would be additional expense. Then there's the matter of labor, as it's supposed to be a pretty labor and coding intensive job from what I understand. I would love for someone to chime in and show me I've misunderstood, and show us the pathway to upgrading our lights for a relatively reasonable expense, but I'm not holding my breath.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrandom View Post
Somewhat shocked at how many 2016s there are with halogens. I'm starting to think that BMW did their customers a disservice as seemingly most cars from all manufactures, not just luxury brands, have been poring out xenon and LED lights for the past few years.
I own two 2016 X3 vehicles and they both have Xenon headlights. I made a conscious decision at the time of purchase to only consider BMWs with Xenon lights.

BMW offered halogen headlights in the base 2016 X3 28i, but the Xenon lights were an option in the 28i and standard in the 35i. I suspect many owners buying or leasing the 2016 X3 paid more attention to the cost or monthly payment than the headlight type.

Having paid several hundred dollars to repair a Xenon headlight on another car, there are valid reasons that some cost conscious people may favor halogen lights. I do not blame BMW for offering halogen headlights as the standard option in the lower cost 2016 X3 28i. This was the case in many competing vehicles at the time, including the Mercedes GLK.

Xenon lights are considerably more complicated than the standard halogen lights. Because of the brightness of the Xenon lights, it is critical that these be designed and operated to avoid blinding on-coming drivers. Cheap aftermarket lights often lack the proper design and certainly are not plug and play in the BMW X3.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 04-18-2019 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laus102 View Post

Would it be possible for the stock halogen headlights and these xenons to simply be swapped? (i.e. would the electronics match up and such).
The BMW Xenon headlights are not plug and play in an X3 originally equipped with halogen lights. The electrical wiring does not match. Some have made the conversion to Xenon lights but report it took many hours to determine how to connect the wires. In addition, updated coding of the X3 is required to make the Xenon headlights function properly.

Read the posts at:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161197
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
laus102
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
The BMW Xenon headlights are not plug and play in an X3 originally equipped with halogen lights. The electrical wiring does not match. Some have made the conversion to Xenon lights but report it took many hours to determine how to connect the wires. In addition, updated coding of the X3 is required to make the Xenon headlights function properly.

Read the posts at:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161197
Mike,

thanks a lot for the info. Darn. I guess the best we can do is get some bulbs that have a whiter / bluer color temperature.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
I own two 2016 X3 vehicles and they both have Xenon headlights. I made a conscious decision at the time of purchase to only consider BMWs with Xenon lights.
+1
For the huge cost of converting from Halogen to Xenon to do it right, just spend the extra $ up front and get a vehicle with with them stock.

Personally, when looking at vehicles, I rule out any that don't have stock Xenon headlights. On the back roads I drive, the best lighting you can get is a necessity to safely navigate these dark curvy roads.

I have done Xenon retrofits on my old Chevy truck and 4runner so I could actually see. Those old school Halogen lights where terrible, even with over wattage H4 e-codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Mike,

thanks a lot for the info. Darn. I guess the best we can do is get some bulbs that have a whiter / bluer color temperature.
The posts at the link below may be helpful in planning your upgrade to the halogen lights in your X3. A modest upward adjustment in the headlights and an upgraded bulb may offer a significant improvement in illumination.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1253664
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Mike,

If you want more usable light on the road then blue bulbs are not the answer as they generally put out less lumens. Some of the aftermarket bulbs in the same wattage may put out a little more light output but burn out quicker. If you don't care about light output and just want the look of Xenon, then go for the whiter/bluer bulbs.

I use the H7 Osram Ralley bulbs in my 525i with good success.

Just don't expect a dramatic difference using alternative bulb options.

I find it best to install one bulb then go for a drive to see the difference. Note that a Halogen with some age may have diminished a little output compared to a brand new one.
Appreciate 0