BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW x3 F25 xDrive28i xLine

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
RPM revs by itself and drops. Once In a while. Anyone else?

I drive a BMW 2017 x3 with 137,777KM on the dash and once in a while the RPM rev needle will rev by itself at a red light or while in heavy traffic (only happens in gear D) and it'll drop after to 900rpm.

It will do it once in a while.

I tried liquimoly injector cleaner and it didn't help as much.

Anyone have this problem and what did you do to fix it?

No CEL's so I really don't know where to check.

I will speak to my BMW specialized shop about this.

I actually did and they said it can be injectors and they said to use the injector cleaner first.

That clearly didn't work.
      01-09-2022, 09:01 AM   #2
WrEkkED
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28D, X5 35i

What engine do you have?

What injector cleaner did you use an how?

An in tank injector cleaner is more maintenance than anything. They don't do a great job at cleaning big build ups but rather get rid of deposits over time and keep from building new ones. To clean them without removing the injectors you need to run the car off of the cleaner by putting it in line by removing the fuel lines from the filter. Seafoam and redline does a great job at this and power service if you have a diesel. The liquimolly stuff isn't great.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:05 AM   #3
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrEkkED View Post
What engine do you have?

What injector cleaner did you use an how?

An in tank injector cleaner is more maintenance than anything. They don't do a great job at cleaning big build ups but rather get rid of deposits over time and keep from building new ones. To clean them without removing the injectors you need to run the car off of the cleaner by putting it in line by removing the fuel lines from the filter. Seafoam and redline does a great job at this and power service if you have a diesel. The liquimolly stuff isn't great.
My x3 has the N20 engine.

I used liqui-moly injector cleaner liquid by dumping the entire bottle in the gas tank (while my fuel level was under 70L)

Yes. I understand this isn't a very thorough way of cleaning the injectors.

I might need to get carbon cleaning done soon and new injectors?
Attached Images

01-09-2022, 11:12 AM   #4
WrEkkED
Rep

Liquimoly fuel system cleaner is the one you want to use. Only use it once, wait 1200 miles and then you can use injectron and add again every 1200 miles or so.

Did bmw hook the car up to ista to actually verify the injectors are going bad?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 04:40 PM   #5
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Liquimoly fuel system cleaner is the one you want to use. Only use it once, wait 1200 miles and then you can use injectron and add again every 1200 miles or so.

Did bmw hook the car up to ista to actually verify the injectors are going bad?
Okay. I'll try that one.

I didn't get it scanned yet. I was told that it MAY be dirty injectors.

I kinda want the CEL to appear so it's easier to tell what it is.

I would rather have it appear after my dad returns from his vacation… that way he won't blame me for CEL or any other issues.

And so he can bring it in for service and not me because I have my own car (mk6 GTI) to deal with lol.

But I help my dad out with his x3 because it's a lot smoother to drive and way more luxury!

Heated steering wheel, heads up display (HUD), xdrive, etc
      01-12-2022, 09:12 AM   #6
WrEkkED
Rep

Haha tell me about it. I got my X3 to replace my mk4 tdi. I have broken almost everything on that car, still have it though.

If you hook the car up the computer (ista) you can see the injection values of each injector. That will let you know pretty quickly if its the injectors. They could also check the timing at the same time to rule out other possible issues. There are so many things that could cause the rpm to drop such as a failing alternator, a failing AC compressor putting extra load on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 06:18 PM   #7
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Haha tell me about it. I got my X3 to replace my mk4 tdi. I have broken almost everything on that car, still have it though.

If you hook the car up the computer (ista) you can see the injection values of each injector. That will let you know pretty quickly if its the injectors. They could also check the timing at the same time to rule out other possible issues. There are so many things that could cause the rpm to drop such as a failing alternator, a failing AC compressor putting extra load on the car.
Nice. Got to keep the car you started with. The x3's are nice. I would get diesel if I can do it all over again.

I hear the Diesel engines are a lot stronger.

I'm keeping my mk6 forever. Especially because it's a 6speed GTI and I've done wayyy too many engine mods to it. Check out my Instagram account: @supreme_gti

I plan to do mods on my x3 as well. After it's paid off.

Priorities first.

I'll get my x3 scanned first and go from there.
It's nearly impossible to diagnose over the phone or over forums.

It's a good start but the real fix is at the shop.

Thank you all for your input! Drive safe and drive smart.
      01-14-2022, 04:48 PM   #8
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4-Silverstone, 2017 X3

I've had this on my X3 2017(73,000 miles) N55 motor as well(even posted on here about it and noone had any good input on it). It used to do it a bunch and one day I disconnected the batter power for one minute and it went away but is now back after a few months. I am getting an "under voltage in vehicle" computer code (4809AB) not sure why, might be a drop in voltage while starting. Also getting a "ZGM central fault memory full-no control unit fault"(801C20) Not sure if these are related to the idle problem. Mine ranges from 700-1000 RPM at street light after stopping. Have you noticed if it does it in manual gear select mode??? Mine did not, the RPM variations only occurred when coming to a stop in automatic transmission mode only. It occurs with Climate control on and off.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:46 AM   #9
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClampThurst View Post
I've had this on my X3 2017(73,000 miles) N55 motor as well(even posted on here about it and noone had any good input on it). It used to do it a bunch and one day I disconnected the batter power for one minute and it went away but is now back after a few months. I am getting an "under voltage in vehicle" computer code (4809AB) not sure why, might be a drop in voltage while starting. Also getting a "ZGM central fault memory full-no control unit fault"(801C20) Not sure if these are related to the idle problem. Mine ranges from 700-1000 RPM at street light after stopping. Have you noticed if it does it in manual gear select mode??? Mine did not, the RPM variations only occurred when coming to a stop in automatic transmission mode only. It occurs with Climate control on and off.
No I haven't checked while in manual gear box mode. I'm always in automatic gearbox mode.

I'll check if it does it in manual gear box mode.

The RPM's will only jump up and down at a full stop, or while in heavy traffic. It doesn't happen often though…

I was driving the x3 last night and it was fine. RPM stable at every red light/full stop in traffic.

Once I let go of the brake pedal, RPM comes back to normal reallll quick.

It accelerates fine and puts down power all the way through each gear/RPM band without any hesitation.

So I doubt it's fuel injectors.

Sometimes no one will answer and we got to figure it out by ourselves
      06-09-2022, 12:43 PM   #10
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblackx3f25 View Post
Quote:
No I haven't checked while in manual gear box mode. I'm always in automatic gearbox mode.

The RPM's will only jump up and down at a full stop, or while in heavy traffic. It doesn't happen often though…

I was driving the x3 last night and it was fine. RPM stable at every red light/full stop in traffic.

It accelerates fine and puts down power all the way through each gear/RPM band without any hesitation.

Quote:
Quote:

Hi all,

I finally got around to resolving the RPM fluctuations in my dad's x3 2017 N20 motor.

It was the transmission that needed to be updated. I got it reprogrammed at 313 Motorworks in Mississauga ,Ontario, Canada.

Khalid and his 313 team did an amazing job and fixed the RPM fluctuations by reprogramming the x3 transmission.

It was outdated according to 313. The x3 drives so much better now. No lag, no jerks, no issues at all. The RPM needle doesn't jump up and down while at a full stop in gear D.

The updated transmission programming fixed it!
At least for my dad's x3. Happy I got it fixed.

Anyhow, sorry for the long rant. This is how I fixed the RPM fluctuations/RPM jumps/RPM hang whatever you wanna call it.

Sometimes it can be Ignition coils, spark plugs, carbon build up, PCV, but I got these components checked and no CEL so it came down to transmission programming and so I got it reprogrammed.

I was also told it can be the timing chain but I had that checked by 313 Motorworks. Timing chain is good on the 2017 N20 motors.

Let's keep all our BMW's running strong and lubricated

Take care guys. I hope this helps.
      06-11-2022, 09:52 PM   #11
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi all,

I finally got around to resolving the RPM fluctuations in my dad's x3 2017 N20 motor.

It was the transmission that needed to be updated. I got it reprogrammed at 313 Motorworks in Mississauga ,Ontario, Canada.

Khalid and his 313 team did an amazing job and fixed the RPM fluctuations by reprogramming the x3 transmission.

It was outdated according to 313. The x3 drives so much better now. No lag, no jerks, no issues at all. The RPM needle doesn't jump up and down while at a full stop in gear D.

Anyhow, sorry for the long rant. This is how I fixed the RPM fluctuations/RPM jumps/RPM hang whatever you wanna call it.

Sometimes it can be Ignition coils, spark plugs, carbon build up, PCV, but I got these components checked and no CEL so it came down to transmission programming and so I got it reprogrammed.

I was also told it can be the timing chain but I had that checked by 313 Motorworks. Timing chain is good on the 2017 N20 motors.

Thank you, Im thinking it must have something to do with the transmission software given that mine only does the RPM rise in normal Drive mode. It DOEN NOT rise while in sport mode or manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 09:53 PM   #12
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My x3 has the N20 engine.

I used liqui-moly injector cleaner liquid by dumping the entire bottle in the gas tank (while my fuel level was under 70L)

Yes. I understand this isn't a very thorough way of cleaning the injectors.

I might need to get carbon cleaning done soon and new injectors?
I seriously doubt this is Injector problem. The motor runs smooth at all times. THIS IS NOT and injector problem.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2022, 10:51 AM   #13
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you, Im thinking it must have something to do with the transmission software given that mine only does the RPM rise in normal Drive mode. It DOEN NOT rise while in sport mode or manual mode.
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Yes. It's the transmission software update. Needed to be updated.

I rarely drive my x3 in sport mode/manual mode so I don't know if it would've done it in these drive modes.

It did do the RPM fluctuations in comfort mode.
Usually when braking or idling in gear D at a red light or standstill traffic. It's noticeable as it feels like the engine is revving by itself without the driver doing anything.

I called a few shops and most shops said leave it with them or blamed the timing chain lol. There's a shop that blamed the N20 engine… didn't help solve the problem.

Only 313 said it's the transmission software that needs to be updated and got it done. This shop did run a lot of diagnostics before pointing fingers at the transmission software update.

The owner of 313 worked for a BMW dealership as a technician for 10+ years and he said most of the times the software update resolves a-lot of BMW problems. He knew this from experience as a BMW trained technician.

I'm happy it wasn't the injectors or anything else.
Trying to save up for another BMW!!!