BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

Thud Noise when driving off

Hi All

Hope your all keeping safe in these strange times.

I am looking for a little reassurance from fellow X3MC drivers. I have noticed when I put the car into gear wether it be drive or reverse as I pull off i get a low level thud in the rear middle of the car

You can definitely hear it every time you go for a gear, I can't say I've noticed it before it had it's RIS or I may have just become paranoid about it.

Not sure if its just the Drive system kicking in.

So just looking to see if any of you guys have the same noise before I ring the Dealer as he's not just round the corner.

Cheers in advance Steven.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

I'm not hearing or feeling any clunks when I put the car in any gear. You may want to have that looked at. My Macan had a transfer case replacement early in its life due to a clunking when I took off from start & at low speeds. I can't imagine you're having the same issue here.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

No thudding here either, I'd get that looked at if it continues.
      08-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Thanks for the replies.

Just to double check do you guys get any noise at all when you drive off either reverse or drive

I'll keep ear on it and try to get it booked in at the dealers
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Well a thud is more of a physical feeling than a noise to me, plenty of noise from the exhausts but no thud or perhaps more accurately drive train shunt..
      08-28-2020, 12:46 AM   #6
mjrennie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

X4MC, no thud. That does not sound right.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 01:08 AM   #7
Craig 1527
Craig
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: x3m comp

no noise of strange feeling from mine when driving off either in reverse or first
f31 335i mineral grey/coral gone but will be missed.
gone 2014 range rover sport dynamic.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

HI All

Just a little update drove the car the other day with the window down to see if you can hear the noise outside. You can hear the noise but outside the sound is more of a loud metallic clunk rather than a thud.

Car has been at the dealers for a couple of days now to have this and another couple of jobs looked one of which is the brakes pads biting onto the discs when i wash the car. The other day I had to put 1500 revs on to make the car move due to the brakes biting onto the disc.

Rang the Dealer today to see how the cars going. They have cleaned the brakes to try to help with them biting on but it is a problem with M cars apparently.

According to the dealer the noise is caused by the brakes which I find a little strange as most of the time its in the centre of the car.

Due to collect the car tomorrow so we will wait and see.

P.S Need another new tyre that's 2 new tyres and 1 reaper on a car that hasn't covered 1400 miles yet.

Thanks for all the replies.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #9
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Went to collect the car today. Put the car into drive and guess what the noise was there.

So went back into the dealer technician came out scratched his head and said we are going to need the car again. Apparently he's need to start stripping thing to find the source of the noise.

Up shot is car goes in next Monday fro another week.

Cheers steven
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

A thud due to the brakes binding is a thing every now and then but even the UK during the summer it shouldn't be a repetitive issue.

I've had the brakes bind and "thunk" many times but generally in the winter if the car has been standing for a few days.
      09-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply Wills2

Thinking about it thud is probably the wrong word it's more like a popping noise.

I tried to explain to the technician I know I will get binding and scraping sounds from the brakes if the car has been washed or not used for a while but that usually goes after a couple of miles this popping noise is there nearly every time I select a gear.

Both the technician and service desk member heard the popping noise so hopefully they can get to the bottom of it.

Cheers Steven.
Appreciate 1
Wills28653.00
      09-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo535 View Post
Thanks for the reply Wills2

Thinking about it thud is probably the wrong word it's more like a popping noise.

I tried to explain to the technician I know I will get binding and scraping sounds from the brakes if the car has been washed or not used for a while but that usually goes after a couple of miles this popping noise is there nearly every time I select a gear.

Both the technician and service desk member heard the popping noise so hopefully they can get to the bottom of it.

Cheers Steven.
Yeah it does seem odd, when you say select a gear do you mean going from P to either D or R or when changing gear on the fly so to speak.

It must be quite loud as well to hear it above the cold start exhaust, I'll have listen tomorrow to see if I can hear anything out of interest, could it be the diff or more likely the gearbox?

Hope they can sort it.
      09-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #13
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

It's when you go from P into D or R not really noticed it when using paddles but will have a try using them over the weekend.

It is quite loud especially from outside the car inside is more o muffled pop.

The service desk advisor was stood a fair distance from the car when she came out to listen and she could clearly hear it.

Like you I think it's either the Diff or the gear box.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #14
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Rang dealer today to see if the cars going to be ready for tomorrow.

Apparently they have had to get BMW technical involved who gave them a test to do but they need to do another test today.

Test takes 3-4 hours and they will not know what's wrong with the car till this test is done.

Up shot is they can't say I will have my car for the weekend till they get the results of this test.
Appreciate 1
Wills28653.00
      09-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #15
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

I'm a bit underwhelmed with the car at the moment - I got it back after the dealership had it for two weeks to replace a malfunctioning rear differential sensor & to repaint the rear bumper.

Went to back into my parking space this morning at the office & had a message pop up about a parking sensor malfunction. I'm going to see if it happens again, but I'm not happy to have another error message pop up two weeks after I get my car back.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #16
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanakey View Post
I'm a bit underwhelmed with the car at the moment - I got it back after the dealership had it for two weeks to replace a malfunctioning rear differential sensor & to repaint the rear bumper.

Went to back into my parking space this morning at the office & had a message pop up about a parking sensor malfunction. I'm going to see if it happens again, but I'm not happy to have another error message pop up two weeks after I get my car back.
I don't know if this is all dealerships or a factor of the car being new but the ability for BMW service departments to fix something correctly on the first try seems elusive by the stories on this board and my personal experience.

I had a TPMS error which left a code and they didn't do anything to fix it and it popped up again after I took the car back. It has now gone away but they didn't even try because it wasn't on the dash at the time.
Appreciate 1
Macanakey138.50
      09-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #17
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

To be honest I'm not to impressed with my first M car it has only covered 1450 miles and to have an issue were they need to involve BMW technical to me its not an easy fix and doesn't fill me with confidence for the future.

I do know new cars have issues but my last 3 BMW's (all 5 tourings) never had an issue which required BMW technical. Had the last one for over 3 years and it never put a foot wrong.

Hopefully get some info tomorrow on what the fault is.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #18
Lyndon_X3M
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F97 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Well a thud is more of a physical feeling than a noise to me, plenty of noise from the exhausts but no thud or perhaps more accurately drive train shunt..
Agreed. My driveway is short and is on a slight angle upwards with the end of the drive switching downwards on the utility strip to the road.

Whenever I start, hear lots of revs and noise from the exhaust, gentle on the throttle to move forward, revs drops but it is a little aggressive as the brake releases. Wouldn't describe as a thud though.
Appreciate 1
Wills28653.00
      09-17-2020, 12:07 AM   #19
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Out of interest I checked the tracker app last night and noticed that the car hasn't moved for over 36 hours.

According to the app the car is sat in a compound at the back of the dealers and has been there since Tuesday afternoon.

So they either don't need the car in the workshop to do the test or someone is telling me porkies.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:18 AM   #20
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Rang the dealer this morning. Apparently the issue is with the prop shaft. So they are having to drop it off the car re lube it and put it back on this fix works in most cases but won't know till the car is retested after repair.

It's apparently been an issue with M3 and M4 cars but mines only the 4th X3MC in the UK with this issue.

To say I'm not impressed is an understatement and to be honest if the fix work I don't want the car back.

This sort of issue on an M car after 1400 miles has finished me with this car.

Thanks for reading and all the replies.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 05:02 AM   #21
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post

I had a TPMS error which left a code and they didn't do anything to fix it and it popped up again after I took the car back. It has now gone away but they didn't even try because it wasn't on the dash at the time.
I had the TPMS issue, they aid it was a faulty valve so replaced it, a week later and it came up again, but then went away and hasn't occurred since.

I think there are plenty of ghosts in this machine.
      09-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #22
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo535 View Post
Rang the dealer this morning. Apparently the issue is with the prop shaft. So they are having to drop it off the car re lube it and put it back on this fix works in most cases but won't know till the car is retested after repair.

It's apparently been an issue with M3 and M4 cars but mines only the 4th X3MC in the UK with this issue.

To say I'm not impressed is an understatement and to be honest if the fix work I don't want the car back.

This sort of issue on an M car after 1400 miles has finished me with this car.

Thanks for reading and all the replies.
That's a shame Steven, it does help to have a good dealer though.

Although I have to say this is the first BMW regardless of M or not I've had that hasn't been a German made one and although we don't want to ascribe cultural stereotypes I do feel it's a bit like a BL car built at Longbridge as I've had many niggles and certain parts of the build quality are well below par with this car, ones that haven't been present on the others.

The good news is if you're not happy and want to jump the pricing is very strong at the moment on them so shouldn't be too painful, I have thought about jumping out myself however the engine is for me wonderful as is the handling so I'll keep it a bit longer.