BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #23
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

Thanks for the reply Wills2.

To be honest when I bought the car my intention was to keep it for the full term of the finance if not longer something I have never done before but this issue has just been the last straw.

If it had been some other issue I would have stayed with the car but I wouldn't feel confident pushing on in the car after an issue with the prop shaft.

Like you said the build quality is not a patch on German built BMW which I've had in the passed but the engine and looks made up for that.

I'm guessing all has not gone to plan on the repair as the Dealer told me he would ring later today if all goes well but I've had no call.

Hopefully I can try to get something sorted tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      09-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #24
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Its a little update.

Went to collect courtesy car today. I had a long chat with the service advisor who's told me they are 99% this fix will work but they have been told by BMW technical they cannot release the car to me till it passes the test they have to perform.

The issue is the cassette that holds the prop shaft was very dry so it had to be lubricated with some special lube.

Once I get the car back I have to monitor the situation and if the sound returns the car will have to have a new diff.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #25
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Collected the car today and was told to monitor the situation by the service advisor and if it returns I must take the car back.

I asked if the noise returns is the car safe to drive she said yes but you must return it.

Short drive home about 4 miles noticed a noise in the same area as previous but didn't seem as loud and was when I put the engine under load (not heavy acceleration).

Got home and put the car into reverse and guess what I noticed the noise again unot as loud

So it looks like its going back in. Will ring the dealer on Monday.
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      09-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #26
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Dealer rang today to see how I was getting on explained the situation and that the fault had become intermittent, he said interment faults are difficult to fix.

Said he will have a word with the technician who repaired the car and possibly contact BMW technical.

Just been out in the car short drive 6-7 miles and got the noise at least 5 times mainly setting off form a standing start as well as that got single bang sound from the same area but it only did this once.

Last edited by Steveo535; 09-23-2020 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #27
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo535 View Post
Dealer rang today to see how I was getting on explained the situation and that the fault had become intermittent, he said interment faults are difficult to fix.

Said he will have a word with the technician who repaired the car and possibly contact BMW technical.

Just been out in the car short drive 6-7 miles and got the noise at least 5 times mainly setting off form a standing start as well as that got single bang sound from the same are but it only did this once.
That's not good and as it's the drive shaft/diff not safe I'd say they need to do better.
      09-22-2020, 12:37 AM   #28
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

That what I told them about the car not being safe but the have said it's safe to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #29
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Car booked in again for the same repair.

Dealer has no interest in doing any sort of deal to get me out of this car and into another BMW.

So looks like if this repair fails I will be either rejecting the car or if they repair it I will be part x it for a non BMW.

Really disappointed with the whole situation had 4 cars off dealer in 4 years and the deal they have offered me on getting out of the x3 is less discount than I can get online. Only good thing is there is equity in my car.

9 years of BMW ownership didn't think it would end like this.

Thanks for reading
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      09-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #30
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

That sucks, get it in for the repair then part ex/sell it to another BMW dealer/used car garage like Redline or Alexanders (you know the ones with the nice cars) It's no good if your local dealer isn't interested in helping.

A friend in the motor trade watched a 69 plate 4.5k mile X4M go through BCA last week for 56k so the values are firm at the moment.
      10-06-2020, 07:10 PM   #31
James Cole
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I have perhaps the same noise...

Its mainly when loading the powertrain forward and then engaging reverse... I do get a "clunk" or a "thud" a bit metallic.

Its coming from the shaft that connects to the rear diff, and only does the noise as it seems to load unload.

Could this be the same noise.

Are any of you guys getting a clunk while engaging reverse from drive?

JC
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:36 AM   #32
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cole View Post
I have perhaps the same noise...

Its mainly when loading the powertrain forward and then engaging reverse... I do get a "clunk" or a "thud" a bit metallic.

Its coming from the shaft that connects to the rear diff, and only does the noise as it seems to load unload.

Could this be the same noise.

Are any of you guys getting a clunk while engaging reverse from drive?

JC
Sounds like you could have the same issue as me. Does it do it every time you engage drive or reverse? The only difference is I didn't need to load the engine then put into gear to make the noise it did it if I just put it into gear and drove off.

That's how mine started then became apparent as you loaded the engine.

Mine is back in the dealers again for the 3rd time not sure if they are replacing the diff or if they are on with BMW technical to find out what to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:13 AM   #33
James Cole
Private
Rep

I does it every time I engage reverse and sometimes when on accel / decel slightly.

The spline that connects to the rear diff and driveshaft might need loctite applied, there is a TSB for this on the M5s, has your dealer tried this?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #34
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I does it every time I engage reverse and sometimes when on accel / decel slightly.

The spline that connects to the rear diff and driveshaft might need loctite applied, there is a TSB for this on the M5s, has your dealer tried this?
Hi.

My dealer had to order some special lube for the prop shaft cassette and in 99% of cases this works.

The lube has help a little as the fault is now more intermittent but still there.

Sounds like you have the same fault as me. Get it into your dealer and tell them BMW technical are aware of this issue.

I was told the car is safe to drive but needs looking at.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:33 AM   #35
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Dropped the car off at the Dealers on Monday. Got a call today to say they cannot make the car fault and they have checked the front and rear diff and they are both perfect (what a surprise).

Looks like I'll just have to turn the radio up till I can afford to move it on.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #36
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

I'm may put in 2+2 together and making 5 but checked my tracker log when I got home only to find the tracker has only logged 1 journey which was 0.17 miles.

When I played the journey it was the car going around the car park of the dealers to the workshop.

Yet the service advisor told me the car has been used everyday in all different driving situations.

So they have basically driven it once and turned it over a couple of times.

I hope I'm wrong and it's just the tracker not uploading the other journeys but it looks like someone's not being honest.

I'll mention it when I collect the car tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #37
KHATTI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 E30 M3

Garage List
1991 BMW M3  [7.50]
I was having a thud/crunching noise under acceleration coming from the passenger side. Could only hear it with the windows down and a reflective surface (wall/large curb) on the side for sound to come back in the cabin. Took it into the dealer and determined it was the rear pass side control arm. Replaced and it seems to have remedied the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #38
fcordano
Rep
Drives: 2011 frozen M3, 2018 M5, 911 G

Garage List
2018 f90 M5  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
thud or clank from rear

My 2018 M5 since purchased has had a clunk or thud possibly metallic sound from the rear most notably when engaging reverse and backing up from drive like a shifting of the suspension. never while driving normally or aggressively or even bumps. 2 BMW shops claim different diagnoses. One was normal brake noises from a performance vehicle and the second stated it normal suspension load noises. I dont believe it either way.
      10-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #39
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i x

I would get a thud when reversing, only after being parked for a bit. It was more prominent when the weather was cold.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #40
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep

Hi All

Had the car back from the Dealers a week now and still have the noise they have told me the only noise they could here were the brakes. This noise is not the brakes as its the same noise I've always had. they said it was the brakes the first time it went in and turned out to be the prop shaft so I've no real confidence in them and it happens intermittently but never when braking. Usually when the engine is under load or engaging a gear.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:02 PM   #41
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:

My X4M JUST started doing this yesterday, and I actually remembered reading your post a few weeks ago unrelated so I came back to find this thread again. Exact same symptoms, but for me it's like a high pitch squeal sound.. at first I thought it was the brakes, but realized its coming from under the middle of the car... forward <> reverse, then on accel/decel slightly. EXACT same symptoms.

Did you have your fixed? All it needed was lubricant?

Last edited by spucktacular; 11-09-2020 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: I can't write
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:37 PM   #42
420xdrive
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 420d xdrive

Hello everybody
I'm new in the forum.

Looking a similar issue, I've read this thread and I can say that I've the same noises of Steveo535.

My 420d xdrive started around 1000km ago and the noise raising up most frequently.

The reason apper to be the differential gear.
Steveo535, if you fix your issue can you share the solution? I'm going to make a repair of the rear differential.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 06:12 AM   #43
silver_metallic
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97 and F80 (gone)

After living with this problem for almost a year, I mastered how to replicate it... park car, go into reverse, stop, go into drive and clunk. You can also drive through a parking lot and quickly take your foot off the accelerator pedal to hear the clunk. Additionally, while cruising fast in comfort mode, quickly apply the brakes to slow the car. The subsequent downshifts will present you with the clunk.

Here's how I got the dealer to finally address it...

The X3MC (not sure about the regular X3M) uses the same driveshaft and differential as the F90 M5. I either read this in some technical documentation or dreamt it up.

After multiple dealer visits and excuses that strange noises in M cars are "normal", I did my own research by purchasing a day subscription to BMWTIS for $30.

On the TIS site, under F90 M5, search for DRIVELINE CLICKING/KNOCKING NOISE ON LOAD REVERSAL. In addition, in the video gallery of TIS, you can find an actual video of this noise in action. This video is taken from underneath an M5.

The fix, as others have stated, is to to remove the driveshaft, apply BMW-flavor Loctite to the splines of the differential housing and let it all dry for a few hours.

Take the service bulletin and video to your dealer and have them explain to you why this would not apply to your car. In the case of the OP, if the Loctite did not work, I would push for a new driveshaft and differential.

Good luck everyone who is experiencing this issue.
Appreciate 1
oreoOozZz126.00
      04-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #44
James Cole
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_metallic View Post
After living with this problem for almost a year, I mastered how to replicate it... park car, go into reverse, stop, go into drive and clunk. You can also drive through a parking lot and quickly take your foot off the accelerator pedal to hear the clunk. Additionally, while cruising fast in comfort mode, quickly apply the brakes to slow the car. The subsequent downshifts will present you with the clunk.

Here's how I got the dealer to finally address it...

The X3MC (not sure about the regular X3M) uses the same driveshaft and differential as the F90 M5. I either read this in some technical documentation or dreamt it up.

After multiple dealer visits and excuses that strange noises in M cars are "normal", I did my own research by purchasing a day subscription to BMWTIS for $30.

On the TIS site, under F90 M5, search for DRIVELINE CLICKING/KNOCKING NOISE ON LOAD REVERSAL. In addition, in the video gallery of TIS, you can find an actual video of this noise in action. This video is taken from underneath an M5.

The fix, as others have stated, is to to remove the driveshaft, apply BMW-flavor Loctite to the splines of the differential housing and let it all dry for a few hours.

Take the service bulletin and video to your dealer and have them explain to you why this would not apply to your car. In the case of the OP, if the Loctite did not work, I would push for a new driveshaft and differential.

Good luck everyone who is experiencing this issue.

I did this to mine and it worked. Noise is now gone.
Appreciate 0