BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
mvoneuw
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2004

Installation of anchors in the trunk for car seat

Hello folks,
My family and I recently moved to Latvia and purchased a used 2004 X3. I was putting in the car seat for my son and realized there are no anchors in the trunk for a top tether (there is a LATCh/isofix system). I looked through the owners manual and there are supposed to be 3 anchors in the trunk but they are nowhere to be found (I removed the floor of the trunk). Does anyone know if it's possible to have them installed or to install a DIY anchor into part of the metal frame underneath the cargo floor?
Let me know. I feel like the X3 I purchased is the only model without these anchors. Maybe I have a 2003 model. I contacted the BMW service center in Riga and they basically said there is no need to use the top tether.
Any advice or info would help.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
englishtom1596
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW X3/ 98 BMW M3

that is... extremely odd. Im pretty sure you don't need the top one as its just for lateral stability but as a parent you definitely want them to be secure as possible and I use mine. Must not have installed them on early generations because they're welded to the body i believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
JayM40i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW x7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596 View Post
that is... extremely odd. Im pretty sure you don't need the top one as its just for lateral stability but as a parent you definitely want them to be secure as possible and I use mine. Must not have installed them on early generations because they're welded to the body i believe.
Not sure if this applies to you but my car seat suggested just using the seat belt with no need for the latches.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
englishtom1596
Enlisted Member
Rep

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=72_0549

Take that back. They bolt in. Don't know if yours will have the bolt holes though.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_5180

Trunk floor with holes
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #5
englishtom1596
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM40i View Post
Not sure if this applies to you but my car seat suggested just using the seat belt with no need for the latches.
yes our car seats (Britax) give that option also but the latch system is so much more sturdy.
Appreciate 0