BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-19-2023, 02:43 PM   #1
gasto83
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Competition

Unhappy Oil drain plug spinning 😭

So, I did a stupid thing. I'm not a mechanic, but I tend to do a lot of work on all my cars, and oil changes are probably one of the most basic things. Changing the oil on my 2021 X3m was a stupid decision.

I cannot say for sure that it was me or if this happened during the last oil change at the dealer (bought it used with 1k miles), but as I'm installing the drain plug, I noticed that it was threading far too many turns. I used a torque wench at 25nm. I cannot remove the plug with the wrench, but I have yet to try any other options. I'm assuming I should be able to remove it with a vice-grip wrench.

I believe that the oil pan threads are most likely stripped. I was quoted over the phone $4k from the dealer.

I have read a lot of success stories using TimeSert on older bimmers including M cars, but I have not found any "thread" on the newer ones. It seems that I'm the first idiot to do this to an S58.

Maybe a more technical person can help me out, what would you do? Timesert or fork over $4k to change the oil pan?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 03:36 PM   #2
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasto83 View Post
So, I did a stupid thing. I'm not a mechanic, but I tend to do a lot of work on all my cars, and oil changes are probably one of the most basic things. Changing the oil on my 2021 X3m was a stupid decision.

I cannot say for sure that it was me or if this happened during the last oil change at the dealer (bought it used with 1k miles), but as I'm installing the drain plug, I noticed that it was threading far too many turns. I used a torque wench at 25nm. I cannot remove the plug with the wrench, but I have yet to try any other options. I'm assuming I should be able to remove it with a vice-grip wrench.

I believe that the oil pan threads are most likely stripped. I was quoted over the phone $4k from the dealer.

I have read a lot of success stories using TimeSert on older bimmers including M cars, but I have not found any "thread" on the newer ones. It seems that I'm the first idiot to do this to an S58.

Maybe a more technical person can help me out, what would you do? Timesert or fork over $4k to change the oil pan?

Timesert or helicoil will be sufficient. If it's done right.

Otherwise the 4k is valid, a LOT of prep work has to be done before you can even get to the pan. If you go that route make sure you go to a GOOD dealer that has a master tech that knows what he's doing.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 03:38 PM   #3
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Can you post a picture of the drain plug on the oil pan? I have only seen it one time so far, so I dont have a good visual in my head of the space you are working with. Personally, as a machinist, if there is adequate space to work with, I would rethread the pan a size up, and get a matching upsized drain plug. Somewhat similar as doing a thread insert... only I would skip the insert and just use a plug for the upsized thread rather than using the insert to bring the thread size back down.
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      01-19-2023, 04:03 PM   #4
gasto83
Registered
Rep

Before forking $4k to a dealer, I'm going to try rethreading a size up, just discovered a tool made by AGA tools (one that they actually sell to BMW) and report back next week!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 10:08 PM   #5
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
Can you post a picture of the drain plug on the oil pan? I have only seen it one time so far, so I dont have a good visual in my head of the space you are working with. Personally, as a machinist, if there is adequate space to work with, I would rethread the pan a size up, and get a matching upsized drain plug. Somewhat similar as doing a thread insert... only I would skip the insert and just use a plug for the upsized thread rather than using the insert to bring the thread size back down.
this is generally the way to go. save your drained oil and pour it through once more to flush any residual out, before wrapping up any refilling with fresh oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 06:26 AM   #6
KodiakEd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 / X7

Not to ask a stupid question, but since this is a 2021 model, wouldn't this be covered under warranty?

01-20-2023, 08:59 AM   #7
maxima8295
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakEd View Post
Not to ask a stupid question, but since this is a 2021 model, wouldn't this be covered under warranty?

Not if he caused it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 12:09 PM   #8
gasto83
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
this is generally the way to go. save your drained oil and pour it through once more to flush any residual out, before wrapping up any refilling with fresh oil.
Yea, I agree! I'm going to be trying this soon. Will also be adding what's called a "clean oil plug" so that I won't have to remove the plug in the future. Simply plug in an oil vacuum to remove the oil!

Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      01-20-2023, 01:02 PM   #9
R BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328Xi GT, 2020 X3 MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M Comp  [0.00]
2014 328Xi GT  [10.00]
I like that.
Only issue is, how much does it stick up inside the oil pan and not allow the very bottom to be sucked out?

Now after posting I see how it has a place to allow oil to be sucked thru. Boy are they proud of their product when they price it.

Last edited by R BMW; 01-20-2023 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0