BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
afrirado
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Lightbulb Firestone use pennzoil platinum euro L 5W30 for BMW gasoline car

I am just curious of the platinum euro L oil, it's approved for BMW LL-04 which is for diesel engine. But Firestone use this for all BMW gasoline engine which needs LL-01 approval. I guess the oil can be used even not approved by pennzoil or BMW because it's description said can be used in gasoline engine, will we get into trouble for this non LL-01 approved oil? below is description from pennzoil

MAIN APPLICATIONS
Pennzoil® Euro L SAE 5W-30 uses Pennzoil’s®
most advanced emissions-compatible technology to help
gasoline engine exhaust catalysts and keep diesel
particulate filters clean and protects it from ash build-up
that can block the exhaust system and lead to reduced
engine performance.

Pennzoil®
Euro L SAE 5W-30 can be used for modern
diesel engines with particulate filters, as well as modern
gasoline engines.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:28 AM   #2
HPR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i M Sport

I believe that LL04 is acceptable for BMW engines requiring LL01. Both are HTHS oils suitable for use in engines that see high temperatures, particularly turbos. LL04 oil has additional additives which give it properties suitable for diesel use as described in your post above. The compatibility does not run the other way however. LL01 is not an acceptable substitute where an LL04 oil is called for.

If I'm in error on this I'm sure that someone will offer a correction and more info.
      06-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
I believe the LL-04 is backwards compatible to LL-01 and would be perfectly acceptable. It's what I run in my X3d.
      06-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
afrirado
Rep

Thank you guys, when I ask pennzoil tech support, they also said euro L doesn't approve for LL-01. maybe I am just paying too much attention on manufacture approved specs but not on the actual oil properties.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

If I remember right the oils have to do with sulfur in the fuels - US and Euro are different and then there's gas / diesel. I don't know which direction the oils are compatible but it might be something to look into for this. Make sure your oil has something you dont' need, as opposed to doesn't have something you do need. Compatibility might even depend on the fuel type and location and what is true for one person is not for another.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #6
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
If Pennzoil believed that LL04 was interchangeable with LL01, than why do they also sell Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor? I suspect that Firestone likes to push Euro L because it less expensive than Pennzoil's LL01 blend. The reason LL04 is specified for diesels is because of its low ash content - a property important in a diesel's exhaust gas re-circulation system and soot reduction.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #7
afrirado
Rep

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
If Pennzoil believed that LL04 was interchangeable with LL01, than why do also sell Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor? I suspect that Firestone likes to push Euro L because it less expensive than Pennzoil's LL01 blend. The reason LL04 is specified for diesels is because of its low ash content - a property important in a diesel's exhaust gas re-circulation system and soot reduction.
That is my thinking as well, for corporation profits is first priority and lower cost to them is preferred. I finally found one article:https://www.bimmerworld.com/BMW-Engine-Oil/
BMW never certified LL-04 for the US market because a) there weren't many Diesels for sale here, b) it was incompatible with the high amounts of sulfur and Ethanol in US gasoline. However, since 2014 our gasoline more closely matches European sulfur levels. US sulfur remains higher so if you're using a LL-04 oil you should change it more often as sulfur will dilute the oil (5,000 oil change interval is sufficient). Oil analysis can give you more insight how your local fuel is interacting with the oil. LL-04 and LL-01 are interchangeable/compatible but LL-04 is preferred for BMW turbo engines for its higher ZDDP and low SAPS. Food for thought: the official BMW Motorsport oil recommendation for the M4 GT4 race car is a LL-04 spec oil. Our race team uses Red Line Euro Series 5W40.

I am afraid that I didn't change oil every 5000 miles based on the suggestion in the article.
Appreciate 0