BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
btks
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Competition

Unhappy More Issues with my X3MC

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Unfortunately, I'm back to report more issues with my X3MC and I am curious if anyone else is experiencing any of the following.
  • Key Not Detected - CarPlay/Bluetooth Crashes
  • Climate Control Issues - Not Blowing Out Warm Air
  • Clicking/Rattling Noise from the Engine Bay (attaching video)
  • Paint Peeling on Rear Bumper
  • Paint Bubbling/Peeling on Spoiler
  • Idle Surging / Almost Stalling after Fueling
  • Loud Knock/Clunk when Reversing and Turning Wheel

My key fobs have been replaced numerous times, the body domain controller once or twice, as well as the radio antenna in the rear of the vehicle. It has not been successful to resolve the Key Not Detected and CarPlay/Bluetooth Crashing.

Regarding the issues with Climate Control, I first noticed that the vehicle was not cooling properly during the summer (even with the temperature adjustment set to the far left in iDrive), but I figured that this was due to the hot weather. However, now I am experiencing a similar issue during the winter - the vehicle is not maintaining a proper temperature. While it is blowing warm air out at the feet, only cool air is coming through the top vents at most settings. I can only get warm air to come out consistently at the max (84), but this is too hot. At 80 or 82, cold air blows out through the top vents. I have tried adjusting the setting in iDrive, but that has been unsuccessful. I recently took a 600+ mile trip each way and I was very uncomfortable due to unstable climate regulation. I dropped my vehicle off today at the dealership and received an X3 loaner vehicle. The climate control on the loaner is functioning perfectly. The top vents were blowing out warm air at 80 degrees, set to Auto, with the outside temperature reading 41 degrees, and the temperature adjustment in iDrive set to the middle. This same configuration on my X3MC at the same outside temperature results in cold air blowing out through the top vents.

I am experiencing a clicking/rattling noise from the engine bay. It comes and goes; the noise is intermittent.

I am also experiencing paint peeling on the rear bumper and bubbling/peeling on the spoiler.

Idle surging and nearly stalling after fueling (intermittent). I only use top-tier fuel from BP, Costco, Exxon, and Shell. This reminds me of an issue I had on my E92 M3 relating to the fuel tank breather valve.

I am experiencing a loud knock/clunk when reversing out of my driveway and turning the wheel. My driveway is on a slight incline and transitions from concrete to asphalt, with a sidewalk separating the driveway from the road, so there is a small drop onto the asphalt. Typical new neighborhood.

Video Link: https://vimeo.com/486450534
Attached Images

Last edited by btks; 12-02-2020 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I can second the paint peeling, clunking, engine noise, and idle irregularity. I had my rear spoiler repainted under warranty. As far as the other concerns, my dealer couldn't identify any culprits. No codes or mechanical issues to be seen. Not sure if these are just bugs with the first gen s58 or what but certainly doesn't stop me from otherwise loving this beast. I'm only leasing but I could see myself having different feelings had I purchased or financed.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
btks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
I can second the paint peeling, clunking, engine noise, and idle irregularity. I had my rear spoiler repainted under warranty. As far as the other concerns, my dealer couldn't identify any culprits. No codes or mechanical issues to be seen. Not sure if these are just bugs with the first gen s58 or what but certainly doesn't stop me from otherwise loving this beast. I'm only leasing but I could see myself having different feelings had I purchased or financed.
I purchased mine and I have been treating it with the utmost care, as I planned to keep this beast for the long haul. However, mine has already spent 30+ days at two different service centers and now I highly question the long-term reliability of this vehicle. The build quality is not even great.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by btks View Post
Quote:
I purchased mine and I have been treating it with the utmost care, as I planned to keep this beast for the long haul. But mine has already spent 30+ days at two different service centers.
Damn that's rough. Any explanations from your service centers?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
btks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Damn that's rough. Any explanations from your service centers?
None. It will be looked at by a representative from BMW today for the fourth time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

I had my rear bumper repainted under warranty & I heard a clunk this morning when I backed out of the driveway onto the road. My driveway to road setup is like that of the OP's. No other issues yet, though.

That said, I don't think that any of these cars are really problem-free any more. It is disappointing. It seems like the more sophisticated these cars get, the more potential problems they have. I had several issues with the Macan I replaced with this X3, & I had really wanted to keep the Macan long-term. We decided to replace it because we didn't feel like we could trust it, even with an extended warranty.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
btks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanakey View Post
I had my rear bumper repainted under warranty & I heard a clunk this morning when I backed out of the driveway onto the road. My driveway to road setup is like that of the OP's. No other issues yet, though.

That said, I don't think that any of these cars are really problem-free any more. It is disappointing. It seems like the more sophisticated these cars get, the more potential problems they have. I had several issues with the Macan I replaced with this X3, & I had really wanted to keep the Macan long-term. We decided to replace it because we didn't feel like we could trust it, even with an extended warranty.
I have XPEL paint protection film on my rear bumper. I wonder if the paint will peel off when the film is taken off, given that the paint clearly has not adhered to the bumper properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Love the car mostly. Drivetrain is fantastic but paint peeling keeps peeling, exhaust sounds like something is loose in there, accident avoidance software/hardware has been very buggy. Started trying to avoid things that were not there. They reprogrammed and it seemed to work fine. Then they replaced a camera and the heads up warnings stopped. Now they want to reprogram it again. Still waiting for the exhaust to be approved even though they said they ordered it a month ago. A new spoiler apparently has been ordered and will be painted for a 4th attempt. I told them this is their last shot at fixing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Did they say anything about the engine noise? Mine sounds like that but I just assumed it was direct injection ticking. Paint peeling is a problem (I have it also). Have not experienced the HVAC issues or the clunking in reverse issue, though I remember reading another thread on here about that (I believe the poster got it fixed).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

This might be a good time to understand how Lemon Law works in Maryland.

These issues are disappointing. But there isn't a good reason to keep the vehicle if it doesn't meet reasonable expectations.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #11
btks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
Love the car mostly. Drivetrain is fantastic but paint peeling keeps peeling, exhaust sounds like something is loose in there, accident avoidance software/hardware has been very buggy. Started trying to avoid things that were not there. They reprogrammed and it seemed to work fine. Then they replaced a camera and the heads up warnings stopped. Now they want to reprogram it again. Still waiting for the exhaust to be approved even though they said they ordered it a month ago. A new spoiler apparently has been ordered and will be painted for a 4th attempt. I told them this is their last shot at fixing it.
Wow, four attempts? After what I have been through, I think one attempt is generous.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #12
btks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Did they say anything about the engine noise? Mine sounds like that but I just assumed it was direct injection ticking. Paint peeling is a problem (I have it also). Have not experienced the HVAC issues or the clunking in reverse issue, though I remember reading another thread on here about that (I believe the poster got it fixed).
Not yet, except that the rep from BMW will look at all of my complaints today.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #13
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Holy @#$#! This does not bode well for the upcoming M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #14
Spec23
Private
Rep
Drives: na

For those having repetitive issues, have you considered contacting BMWNA? Have had three vehicles purchased back and can tell you that having them involved usually makes things easier.

1 (800) 831-1117
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #15
evo-mike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec23 View Post
For those having repetitive issues, have you considered contacting BMWNA? Have had three vehicles purchased back and can tell you that having them involved usually makes things easier.

1 (800) 831-1117
I tried calling this number a few weeks ago and got a rude person that kept asking me what I wanted her to do about it, like rhetorically. Like it's normal to have stuff repainted this many times. Basically said I needed to go thru the dealer unless the dealer is a problem. My dealer has been ok, they've tried to fix it, they just aren't.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #16
Spec23
Private
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
I tried calling this number a few weeks ago and got a rude person that kept asking me what I wanted her to do about it, like rhetorically. Like it's normal to have stuff repainted this many times. Basically said I needed to go thru the dealer unless the dealer is a problem. My dealer has been ok, they've tried to fix it, they just aren't.
Wow, sorry to read of their response. Perhaps give them another call?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #17
mjrennie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Sorry to hear all this. Honestly...my X4MC is sublime, tremendous build quality, IMHO, cannot fathom what's going on with these reported problems. I've had 4 Beemers, this is my 2nd M car after a simply wonderful M3. I love them. Hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      12-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #18
btks
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have been in contact with BMW NA since June/July. I didn't get anywhere with them and I have owned 3 M cars.

Last edited by btks; 12-02-2020 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #19
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

1 (800) 831-1117
When I had my spoiler repainted they kept the car for 2 weeks and repainted it 3x because each time the work came out crap. Appreciate the intent but dang it was annoying. My SA had me come in the same day the regional warranty manager was visiting so he could see for himself the paint issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #20
evo-mike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1 (800) 831-1117
When I had my spoiler repainted they kept the car for 2 weeks and repainted it 3x because each time the work came out crap. Appreciate the intent but dang it was annoying. My SA had me come in the same day the regional warranty manager was visiting so he could see for himself the paint issue.
So i didn't include the garbage paint jobs the outsourced paint shop did. But there were runs, spots without actual paint, like how do you miss that? Spots where the black underneath shown thru, like not enough paint. The spoiler peeled instantly. I'm less than 3mi from the dealer and was peeled by the time I got it home. I'm seriously over it. I asked the dealer or port had it repaired/repainted and that's why the issue, they said no. I'm also only 2hrs from Spartanburg so not likely it went to port.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #21
btks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
They told me that the ticking noise is normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #22
btks
Private
Rep

Quote:
The clunking noise is due to the summer tires. BMW has identified that the summer tires cause this noise in colder weather (below 47 degrees Fahrenheit). The remedy for the nuisance is winter tires or all-season tires.
Appreciate 0