BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-11-2019, 04:42 AM   #23
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Quote:
It's great, but the fully Electric X3 is going to be an absolute game changer for BMW.
Bring on the electrics

Is this for real? Most people hate the idea of electric....
Yeah most of the old people maybe ❗️
🤣 That will reduce the post count. What will all the people talking about exhaust sounds talk about then? They will have to book into rehab!

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:49 AM   #24
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's great, but the fully Electric X3 is going to be an absolute game changer for BMW.
Bring on the electrics

Yeah most of the old people maybe ❗️
🤣 That will reduce the post count. What will all the people talking about exhaust sounds talk about then? They will have to book into rehab!
You might be right.

I personally like Electric a lot.

I also like the sound of my M's exhaust.

I'm OK with paying my psychologist $125 an hour.
      06-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #25
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
should get use to it, its the future.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:41 AM   #26
Barrancos
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30D

Quote:
should get use to it, its the future.
I am not that sure it is the future, let's see...

In Barcelona 70% of the people park outside, in the street, are we going to have charges in all streets every 3 meters ?

I see the future in 10 years being not having a car, and renting self driving cars by the minute, maybe electrical...
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10710.50
      06-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #27
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

I wish they would
1) double the battery and double the electric motor hp
2) enable the full power of the 4 banger.
3) offer a hybrid with the b58 like they do in the 7 series.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #28
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrancos View Post

In Barcelona 70% of the people park outside, in the street, are we going to have charges in all streets every 3 meters ?

I see the future in 10 years being not having a car, and renting self driving cars by the minute, maybe electrical...
I can't comment on Spain, I dont have enough knowledge to answer your question. infrastructure I would imagine is drastically different between the two. But here in the states, yes electric will be a lot more normal moving forward in my view.

as far as self driving cars, no doubt those will become options eventually, would be nice to get a few extra min of sleep for those heading into work

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #29
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Absolutely correct.

A win win for everyone including the planet... 🌎
That last statement has yet to be proven. Too many variables go into it, starting with what will happen to our planet once all of 4 billion electric cars will need those limited-resource batteries, and ending with how electricity is produced for your home.

If we don’t look at the whole chain and revolutionize every link, it will be a half assed solution. Not that humanity doesn’t have a lot of history of those.

Just so you understand, I don’t mind EVs, and will buy/lease/whatever one when conditions are ready, but I don’t drink the coolaid and think it’s single malt.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5888.50
      06-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #30
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Germany is going to take it in the shorts big time.
Why? The world isn’t quite ready for EVs, except for a few markets.

If you come up with a new EV into a saturated market, it won’t sell well, and you won’t recoup your R&D costs. So as always it’s a question of timing, and certain brands are betting on different strategies and release timing.

Ford won’t sell a ton of EVs in the middle of the US, so they’re not rushing. GM rushed with the Bolt, and sales are dismal. BMW bet big time with the i3, and it flopped, so now their plan B is to come up with the 2nd gen a bit later when the market is more mature. Audi is more upfront, Benz more conservative like BMW.

We’ll see who takes the lead eventually, bombastic statements aren’t enough to move product in sufficient, profit making quantities.

My money isn’t on any specific horse in this race. They will all feel and drive the same, so why bother with any specific brand other than incentives/rebates/lease rates.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      06-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #31
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Absolutely correct.

A win win for everyone including the planet... 🌎
That last statement has yet to be proven. Too many variables go into it, starting with what will happen to our planet once all of 4 billion electric cars will need those limited-resource batteries, and ending with how electricity is produced for your home.

If we don't look at the whole chain and revolutionize every link, it will be a half assed solution. Not that humanity doesn't have a lot of history of those.

Just so you understand, I don't mind EVs, and will buy/lease/whatever one when conditions are ready, but I don't drink the coolaid and think it's single malt.
Zero Tailpipe Emissions...

And I charge on hydro and solar power ‼️
      06-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #32
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Why? The world isn't quite ready for EVs, except for a few markets.

If you come up with a new EV into a saturated market, it won't sell well, and you won't recoup your R&D costs. So as always it's a question of timing, and certain brands are betting on different strategies and release timing.

Ford won't sell a ton of EVs in the middle of the US, so they're not rushing. GM rushed with the Bolt, and sales are dismal. BMW bet big time with the i3, and it flopped, so now their plan B is to come up with the 2nd gen a bit later when the market is more mature. Audi is more upfront, Benz more conservative like BMW.

We'll see who takes the lead eventually, bombastic statements aren't enough to move product in sufficient, profit making quantities.

My money isn't on any specific horse in this race. They will all feel and drive the same, so why bother with any specific brand other than incentives/rebates/lease rates.
Why?

Because Tesla is absolutely eating all of their lunches combined.

And you can add Lexus to that list as well. Tesla is outselling Mercedes BMW and Lexus combined ‼️
      06-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #33
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why? The world isn't quite ready for EVs, except for a few markets.

If you come up with a new EV into a saturated market, it won't sell well, and you won't recoup your R&D costs. So as always it's a question of timing, and certain brands are betting on different strategies and release timing.

Ford won't sell a ton of EVs in the middle of the US, so they're not rushing. GM rushed with the Bolt, and sales are dismal. BMW bet big time with the i3, and it flopped, so now their plan B is to come up with the 2nd gen a bit later when the market is more mature. Audi is more upfront, Benz more conservative like BMW.

We'll see who takes the lead eventually, bombastic statements aren't enough to move product in sufficient, profit making quantities.

My money isn't on any specific horse in this race. They will all feel and drive the same, so why bother with any specific brand other than incentives/rebates/lease rates.
Why?

Because Tesla is absolutely eating all of their lunches combined.

And you can add Lexus to that list as well. Tesla is outselling Mercedes BMW and Lexus combined
Exactly!!

We had a Lexus hybrid while back and the whole concept didn't make sense in the real world.

I don't think the BMW versions fair any better.

However the 48v or 24v options as in Mercs make sense if you do it particularly for torque filling from performance aspect. It also runs their advanced adaptive suspension on the GLE etc.

But to use the hybrid for better mileage or anything else is a waste of resources.

GM etc didn't fare as well simply because the whole infrastructure & eco system wasn't developed from the ground up like Tesla did.

We have a Tesla and what that car does, I wouldn't trade it for anything else simply because there isn't any other option like it.

Now when the Model Y comes out, it's going to outsell almost every other vehicle in its price range because Tesla has proven the concept works.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 3
jphcbpa299.50
///M TOWN13117.00
      06-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #34
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Thanks ADC, no one ever mentions where the electricity to charge the electric cars is coming from. Most countries are close to the limit of electric production as it is, never mind having to now support all these new vehicles being constantly charged after driving 100 miles or so.

What happens to all the cars when the batteries are dead as they don't last long and certainly not as long as an ICE. Are people really going to pay several thousand $/Ł's to replace the batteries or are they just going to dump them.

What's happening to the planet with the increased load on power stations? Will this lead to more Nuclear stations, not sure that's a wise move. Solar power I hear you say, well good luck with that. It's currently summer in the UK and it's raining, very grey and 12 degrees. There isn't enough sun around to charge my watch never mind a car. And what about all the mining for the lithium to make the batteries, what impact does that have on the planet?

Electric may well be the very boring future, but I don't think I'm old and I certainly don't think we should wishing it to arrive any sooner than it really has to.
Appreciate 2
munna129.00
titomi926.00
      06-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #35
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
Thanks ADC, no one ever mentions where the electricity to charge the electric cars is coming from. Most countries are close to the limit of electric production as it is, never mind having to now support all these new vehicles being constantly charged after driving 100 miles or so.

What happens to all the cars when the batteries are dead as they don't last long and certainly not as long as an ICE. Are people really going to pay several thousand $/£'s to replace the batteries or are they just going to dump them.

What's happening to the planet with the increased load on power stations? Will this lead to more Nuclear stations, not sure that's a wise move. Solar power I hear you say, well good luck with that. It's currently summer in the UK and it's raining, very grey and 12 degrees. There isn't enough sun around to charge my watch never mind a car. And what about all the mining for the lithium to make the batteries, what impact does that have on the planet?

Electric may well be the very boring future, but I don't think I'm old and I certainly don't think we should wishing it to arrive any sooner than it really has to.
My battery will outlast the car, and have a second life after that as a storage device to help power a school or building when power goes out. ICE cars are the dying breed.
      06-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #36
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
~65 hp less than the glc350e would be extra tough to choose this because those benz’s on are mega discount rn too
Mercedes makes similar phevs to BMW but they have been getting poorer reviews. Despite each having more HP per the reviews they don't handle as well nor do they actually go faster.

On the other hand, I do have a small issue with the BMW 3/5 series phevs. I wish they would have offered a version with the 6 cylinder ICE or at least the 252 HP 4 cylinder ICE. 99.99% of the time I don't need the extra power but it is still nice to have.

If I were going to purchase a BMW SAV phev, I would hold out for the X5 which comes with a better ICE.
Appreciate 2
JMon369.00
      06-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #37
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Damn yall bicker like mad.

I think there's fair arguments on both sides. The US (and I suppose China) are trying really had to get the infrastructure in place for EVs. I know a couple European countries adore EVs but as a whole Europe is very unfriendly (both in infrastructure and cost) to non-hatchback type vehicles. Until an EV the size and cost of a Citroen C3 becomes available don't count on Europeans to make the switch in masses. And as another poster said Europeans generally park on the street as the American concept of big parking garages is non-existent. Suburbia could support EV charging but a significant portion of Europeans reside in urban settings.

Who knows if the future will entail foregoing car ownership in favor of ride sharing services, Lime, ZipCar, etc.? Or if the market for cars will keep growing as Asian economies strengthen and millions of people attain greater purchasing power. Then there's the question of the environmental impact of EV production.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #38
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

You could give me a brand new M8 for my i8, no thanks.
You could give me a brand new X5 for my i3, no thanks.

E-Power is superiority in dynamics and driving comfort and the first Gen BMW i-Cars are already fantastic machines of great quality. I drove X5 and 5er for many years and I know what I'm saying.

Mid termed the solution is EV for short and mid range and Hybrid for long range.

The Game Changer is Volkswagen, just wait yet a little bit...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #39
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Mercedes makes similar phevs to BMW but they have been getting poorer reviews. Despite each having more HP per the reviews they don't handle as well nor do they actually go faster.

On the other hand, I do have a small issue with the BMW 3/5 series phevs. I wish they would have offered a version with the 6 cylinder ICE or at least the 252 HP 4 cylinder ICE. 99.99% of the time I don't need the extra power but it is still nice to have.

If I were going to purchase a BMW SAV phev, I would hold out for the X5 which comes with a better ICE.
Not a massive difference, but going by the manufacturer’s numbers the Benz is indeed quicker to 60 (6.2 vs 6.5)

More compelling reason for the GLC is price, dealers are letting them go for $42k down from $57. Pretty darn good value for a carpool lane commuter. Looks like at least a year wait for the X3 in the US anyway. Agreed a 6 would be nice.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50
      06-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #40
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post

What happens to all the cars when the batteries are dead as they don't last long and certainly not as long as an ICE. Are people really going to pay several thousand $/£'s to replace the batteries or are they just going to dump them.

My thoughts and worries exactly. Everybody is talking about future with EV cars, but somehow forgetting to say the B side - where would the power come from, what is gonna happen with the batteries, etc. Is future really in EV? I'm not sure. Not until we figure out aforementioned questions.

For those comparing power of EV and petrol/diesel cars - EV are not to bring more power, but bring less emissions. Nothing more. That's so far the only argument I'm hearing in favor of EV.
      06-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #41
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
~65 hp less than the glc350e would be extra tough to choose this because those benz’s on are mega discount rn too

I'm with you on that !
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #42
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
bring on the electrics
Pretty sure Tesla has shown the rest of the Industry that EVs can be fun.

#ludicrousMode
      06-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #43
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrancos View Post

You don't need to charge when parked. You can actually bring the car to a fast charging station, similar to a gas station, but with electricity instead of gas. Your car will be fully charged in 15-30 minutes. This is how literally tens of thousands of Tesla owners do in northern Europe as of today.
      06-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #44
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
My thoughts and worries exactly. Everybody is talking about future with EV cars, but somehow forgetting to say the B side - where would the power come from, what is gonna happen with the batteries, etc. Is future really in EV? I'm not sure. Not until we figure out aforementioned questions.

For those comparing power of EV and petrol/diesel cars - EV are not to bring more power, but bring less emissions. Nothing more. That's so far the only argument I'm hearing in favor of EV.
Try the new Tesla Model 3 Performance. Crazy power and good handling. Faster than a BMW M3/M4.