BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Reduced Driver Assistance Warning

Hey guys! So my 2019 X3 M40i has had this "Reduced Driver Assistance" waning came up like 5 times in the last 2 months and the dealer couldn't tell me exactly what's wrong with it. Each time after I restarted the car the warning notification was gone.

2 times it happened at night no raining when I was using the ACC and auto steering in traffic
2 times happened during the day clear weather when I was using the ACC and auto steering in traffic
Last time happened during the day clear weather just normal driving

Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Since the messages relates to the sensors, I would say there is something wrong with one or more of them. I would go to the dealer and let them.check it properly.
      01-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

There is another recent thread on this, one needed new camera, and one had a steering column fixed.

Reduced Driving Assistance https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568428

For the frequency of warning you have, I think it's time to see your dealer. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the info and yeah tomorrow I'll be bringing in my car for this same issue the 3rd time.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen3ybq View Post
Thanks for all the info and yeah tomorrow I'll be bringing in my car for this same issue the 3rd time.
Maybe share with them the experience of fellow members to give them some place to look for the root cause?

Good luck. Keep us posted the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:
Maybe share with them the experience of fellow members to give them some place to look for the root cause?

Good luck. Keep us posted the outcome.
Yes that's the plan and I'll show them this thread tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update: dealer said they updated the software on my car and test drove 30 miles without any issue. I seriously doubt that's the issue but I'll pick up the car see if that will fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quick update: dealer said they updated the software on my car and test drove 30 miles without any issue. I seriously doubt that's the issue but I'll pick up the car see if that will fix the issue.
Keep observing and hope this is just a bad case of electronic gremlins. God forbid If the issue ever comes back, you will know exactly what to do. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
allen3ybq448.00
      01-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Keep observing and hope this is just a bad case of electronic gremlins. God forbid If the issue ever comes back, you will know exactly what to do. Good luck!
If it happens again will be my 4th time bringing it back for the same issue in the last month. I heard someone whispering lemon to me
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #10
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

If not software, might be bad sensor or camera as pointed out by another member
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #11
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If it happens again will be my 4th time bringing it back for the same issue in the last month. I heard someone whispering lemon to me
I agree with you that they should not be allowed to get away with just doing something superficial without attempting a more expansive fix like replacing camera. Gently hint that you are open to going the 'Lemon route' and ask them to escalate the matter to BMW Corp (to get a field engineer looking into this matter if your dealer is out of options on what to do) if needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #12
Cruisejack
Rep
Drives: diesel X3

I had the same issues occurring initially intermittently and then progressively to every drive. The dealer found a short in the steering column that triggered the issue. Once they fixed that i have not had any more problems.

Joe
Appreciate 2
allen3ybq448.00
xylodan27.00
      01-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #13
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph.seychell@gmail.com View Post
I had the same issues occurring initially intermittently and then progressively to every drive. The dealer found a short in the steering column that triggered the issue. Once they fixed that i have not had any more problems.

Joe
Very helpful post. op try mentioning this
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 07:50 AM   #14
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
If it happens again will be my 4th time bringing it back for the same issue in the last month.
So far it seems potential causes for this Reduced Driving Assistance error message are: 1). Electronic gremlin which resolves after turning off car and just restarting; 2). dirty sensors with resolution after cleaning; 3). possible software corruption resolved with an update; 4). 'short' in the steering column; 5). faulty camera in rear view mirror housing resolved with camera replacement; and 6). loose seating of camera in it's bracket resolved with new windshield and re-calibration. I'm attaching an image of #'s 5 & 6 which detailed our successful repairs.

A schematic and part numbers of the camera-based driver assistance system can be found at the FCP Euro Website for Genuine and OEM parts: https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search...iX/USA/66_0465

Let us know if your Svc team identifies a 7th possible cause.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
allen3ybq448.00
weez271.50
      01-16-2019, 10:28 PM   #15
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
So far it seems potential causes for this Reduced Driving Assistance error message are: 1). Electronic gremlin which resolves after turning off car and just restarting; 2). dirty sensors with resolution after cleaning; 3). possible software corruption resolved with an update; 4). 'short' in the steering column; 5). faulty camera in rear view mirror housing resolved with camera replacement; and 6). loose seating of camera in it's bracket resolved with new windshield and re-calibration. I'm attaching an image of #'s 5 & 6 which detailed our successful repairs.

A schematic and part numbers of the camera-based driver assistance system can be found at the FCP Euro Website for Genuine and OEM parts: https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search...iX/USA/66_0465

Let us know if your Svc team identifies a 7th possible cause.
Seems like a common problem with an uncommon solution....or maybe no solution at all. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #16
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 - Ultimate Pkg- Canada

Driver Assistance

Quote:
Hi allen3ybq,

Is your Drive assistance issue finally got resolved?
Did they do anything else beside software update?

I have started another thread for very similar issue I faced late last week with my 2018 X3. I left the car with the dealer this morning and it is more than 6 hours and they have not called me yet. So I am not sure what's going on with my X3.

Please respond to above 2 questions.

I am developing little anxiety on seriousness of this issue. I live in small city called Regina in province called Saskatchewan in Canada. We have only 1 dealer in town so I am their mercy.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 07:16 PM   #17
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khatopito View Post
Quote:
Hi allen3ybq,

Is your Drive assistance issue finally got resolved?
Did they do anything else beside software update?

I have started another thread for very similar issue I faced late last week with my 2018 X3. I left the car with the dealer this morning and it is more than 6 hours and they have not called me yet. So I am not sure what's going on with my X3.

Please respond to above 2 questions.

I am developing little anxiety on seriousness of this issue. I live in small city called Regina in province called Saskatchewan in Canada. We have only 1 dealer in town so I am their mercy.

Thanks
I haven't been driving too much since they updated the software I have been dealing with two flat tires in a week lol and my car is back at dealer now. And they didn't do anything else besides updating the software.
I'll let you know after I get more time behind the wheels after my tire is replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #18
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 - Ultimate Pkg- Canada

Quote:
I haven't been driving too much since they updated the software I have been dealing with two flat tires in a week lol and my car is back at dealer now. And they didn't do anything else besides updating the software.
I'll let you know after I get more time behind the wheels after my tire is replaced.
Thanks for quick response.

Yesterday they updated my X3 software. They told me that software update was done remotely by BMW company (not sure BMW Canada, US or Germany) and not by dealer. This software update now gives me an option to use passive cruise control. This means car will maintain the selected speed but will not maintain the distance between my car and car in the front. When I start Cruise control, it will default to Active Cruise control where car will maintain the distance between my car and car in front. I can disable Active and make it Passive.

So Yes this software update will let me use cruise control on highway with no traffic or not many speed signs. But I am still not convinced how it is going to help me in running the car with all Driving Assistance features which were disabled when ACC was deactivated by car computer because Radar did not see any car in front for long time. Reason I am doubting this is because all driver assistance features were disabled even when I never started Cruise control. (before software update)

I may not be able to test this software upgrade for few more months as I have no plan to go on highway with not much traffic in near future.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #19
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khatopito View Post
Quote:
Thanks for quick response.

Yesterday they updated my X3 software. They told me that software update was done remotely by BMW company (not sure BMW Canada, US or Germany) and not by dealer. This software update now gives me an option to use passive cruise control. This means car will maintain the selected speed but will not maintain the distance between my car and car in the front. When I start Cruise control, it will default to Active Cruise control where car will maintain the distance between my car and car in front. I can disable Active and make it Passive.

So Yes this software update will let me use cruise control on highway with no traffic or not many speed signs. But I am still not convinced how it is going to help me in running the car with all Driving Assistance features which were disabled when ACC was deactivated by car computer because Radar did not see any car in front for long time. Reason I am doubting this is because all driver assistance features were disabled even when I never started Cruise control. (before software update)

I may not be able to test this software upgrade for few more months as I have no plan to go on highway with not much traffic in near future.

Thanks
I drove in traffic with ACC and auto steering on for a good 2 hours yesterday no issue yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #20
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

I have started to experience this myself a few times on my '19 M40i, most recently this morning while driving to work, and got the Blind Spot and Side Collision errors. Similar to OP, turning the car off then right back on resolves, and the error occurring seems to be hit or miss. I initially assumed it had to do with some of the coding I have been doing, as I had been coding both the side radar and SAS modules, but yesterday drove for a few hours with no issues, then this morning it randomly pops up.

Since I have ISTA installed on my laptop that I keep with me, if it pops up again I will stop and connect to the car before shutting down to see what faults are showing in there, and will post back what I find since it seems to be becoming an issue for many.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #21
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
I have started to experience this myself a few times on my '19 M40i, most recently this morning while driving to work, and got the Blind Spot and Side Collision errors. Similar to OP, turning the car off then right back on resolves, and the error occurring seems to be hit or miss. I initially assumed it had to do with some of the coding I have been doing, as I had been coding both the side radar and SAS modules, but yesterday drove for a few hours with no issues, then this morning it randomly pops up.

Since I have ISTA installed on my laptop that I keep with me, if it pops up again I will stop and connect to the car before shutting down to see what faults are showing in there, and will post back what I find since it seems to be becoming an issue for many.
Thanks and please do so!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #22
Chimpysan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 2019

I got 2019 330i for a week. Got the driving assistance message more than 10 times in the first 3 days of having the car. Brought back to bmw for service, got no estimate on how long it will be fix or what is the real issue. Now I’m on loaner car for 3rd day. Also the wireless charging pad, doesn’t charge my iphone8. I don’t know if I’m making right decision on moving from Lexus or not
Appreciate 0