BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-04-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
achew
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05 E83 X3 2.5L Manual Trans

Garage List
05 X3 E83 Rear Noise Sound

I'm trying to diagnose and fix an annoying sound. It is a two tone rapidly alternating mid pitch sound coming from the rear of the car. It is hard to pinpoint the exact location as it resonates throughout the rear of the car. It doesn't start until 35mph and gets louder at higher speeds. There is a 70-75 mph range where it goes away. It is present on acceleration and deceleration except for in that 70-75 mph zone.

In the video, there are two sounds. The first is a constant a metallic sound that is coming from the rear diff (I've been told that this is normal, but correct me if I am wrong). The second is the two tone rapidly alternating sound that I'm trying to figure out. I'm thinking it could either be the wheel bearings (no difference on curves) or the rear diff since that is also making noise (the noise doesn't emanate from the space place as the rear diff noise though).

I recently installed a rebuilt transfer case and driveshaft with a new guibo and center support bearing.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:41 AM   #2
Rodentmaster
Rep
Drives: .....pending

That is not a good noise...Start researching either replacement diff (final drive) or a good quality diff rebuild.
Mine is noisy as well and finding a good replacement is not easy.
Many local shops and mechanics have told me that the recent era of BM's have seen a real decline in drive train quality, robustness and durability. X5, X3 are well known here in Australia for final drive issues.
Very expensive bearings and gear sets.......if you can find them.

Final drives were supposedly improved over the run of the E83.
I'm not too sure about that one myself.....
Appreciate 0