BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #67
EllisGJ
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpedge View Post
My M40i has this very issue. Settings all turned on and vibration set to max. I can't even tell if it's working. The surface changes between the lanes and the cats eyes do cause vibration feedback through the steering wheel. Using the the indicators when swapping lanes proves this. Car manufacture date is 3 Jan and I have the DA package, not the +.
I suggest that everyone who is affected by this issue contact their dealer and BMW customer relations: 1 (800) 831-1117.

Also consider filing a complaint with SaferCar.gov: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint.

This is a non-trivial failure in BMW's so-called "intelligent safety system." The response I've received so far from BMW is "performing as designed." Not happy with that, obviously.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #68
Sharpedge
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

A journey on a smoother road surface has resulted in a barely noticeable vibration. During a lane charge in an overtaking manoeuvre it is over too quickly to really notice it. I tried to slowly drift out of my lane and it vibrates for longer but still leaves me wondering if it is working or if I'm picking up vibration from the road. It also vibrates if I use the indicators and there is a car in the blind spot.

If concentrating hard and expecting the vibration to work it's just about noticeable. During a laps in concentration it will be missed for sure. Poor show for a safety feature. It might be that BMW is in the game of subliminal warnings

Oh buy the way, not to rub it in for my US cousins over the pond, but this is on the M Sport steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #69
Robert310
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

I am having this same issue with my 2018 X3. The vibration worked for about the first week I had the vehicle. It felt almost like a cell phone vibration when it went off. Now I hear a noise but no vibration. I even changed the setting to high.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #70
MostlyHarmless
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
I suggest that everyone who is affected by this issue contact their dealer and BMW customer relations: 1 (800) 831-1117.

Also consider filing a complaint with SaferCar.gov: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint.

This is a non-trivial failure in BMW's so-called "intelligent safety system." The response I've received so far from BMW is "performing as designed." Not happy with that, obviously.
I just called BMW North America and spoke to a very nice representative who basically told me that they have to go with what the dealership's service department says. My Service Advisor told me the vibration was working as designed, so BMW NA is going to back that up. Unless, of course, I want to take it to another dealer and get a second opinion. They also suggested asking the service dept. manager to go with a ride with me and drive it herself so she can see what I'm talking about. That's probably the best option for now, so I'll try to arrange that the next time I'm in the area.
2002 E46 330i in OB
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #71
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Just a thought. Is there a way that the vibration can be captured on video... that will allow multiple owners to recreate the issue in a basically similar situation? We could demonstrate "working" vibration as compared to "not working " vibration in a qualitatively meaningful way.

Using a passenger to shoot video... if you hold a colorless glass containing a colored liquid (like Gatorade, etc) on the top of the wheel. Induce a situation that should trigger the vibration.

Then post the videos on here.

Please be smart about how this is done... don't crash your beautiful X3.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #72
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_Rob View Post
Just a thought. Is there a way that the vibration can be captured on video... that will allow multiple owners to recreate the issue in a basically similar situation? We could demonstrate "working" vibration as compared to "not working " vibration in a qualitatively meaningful way.

Using a passenger to shoot video... if you hold a colorless glass containing a colored liquid (like Gatorade, etc) on the top of the wheel. Induce a situation that should trigger the vibration.

That’s a really great idea. I would suggest comparing this to a g30 5 series seeing as the wheel is apparently directly from that car.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #73
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Quote:

That’s a really great idea. I would suggest comparing this to a g30 5 series seeing as the wheel is apparently directly from that car.
Exactly.

But this will especially help the impacted owners if there are some examples that vibrate significantly different than others of the same model.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #74
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly.

But this will especially help the impacted owners if there are some examples that vibrate significantly different than others of the same model.
I had it in my x1. It didn’t offer adjustment but was significantly more noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #75
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep

Lane Departure Warning Steering wheel vibration issue

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly.

I had it in my x1. It didn’t offer adjustment but was significantly more noticeable.
I agree with your point, too. Even doing a visual demo across different BMW platforms will be helpful for getting BMW USA to acknowledge the issue.

The dealers will likely not be much help until there is acknowledgment from BMW corporate.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #76
BMWDude2018
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0i

Garage List
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 5.0ix  [0.00]
Quote:
I swapped out my stock wheel for an M-sport. The M-sport vibrates more.

It just so happened that I was going somewhere with my wife following in her car. I phoned her and asked to sit in the adjacent lane in my blind spot. Turning on the signal is enough to induce a wheel vibration warning. The M-sport wheel does vibrate more, but not as much as my old M-sport wheel in my 2014 X5 (different model wheel).

I like the idea of a glass of water to test the vibration effect. Lots of variables though, so you would have to run several instances over the same road at the same speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:27 PM   #77
KSag
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix, 2020 X5 X40i

Yesterday I had my X3m40i at my dealer to fix the interior lighting on the left side. I received an X3 30i as a loaner. I was surprised at how much vibration the loaner had in the steering wheel. I can never tell if mine is just the road or if there is a faint vibration. I am getting very concerned with this car. First the interior lighting goes out on one side and now the vibration issue. What’s next?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #78
gordonyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW

Any news if there's a solution already? I couldn't feel the LDW on my car.

BTW how I wish my steering wheel is M Sport wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #79
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonyz View Post
Any news if there's a solution already? I couldn't feel the LDW on my car.

BTW how I wish my steering wheel is M Sport wheel.
I brought my car in for this and a few other things on Monday. They said the field engineer for bmw will drive be the car. I haven’t heard anything back yet but will post back when I do.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #80
X3_M40i
Rep

Had mine for less than 300 miles and have yet felt the steering wheel vibrate even after crossing over the center line. Have the vibration set as high as possible. Sounds like the first trip to the dealership is imminent.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #81
bmwx3guy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert310 View Post
I am having this same issue with my 2018 X3. The vibration worked for about the first week I had the vehicle. It felt almost like a cell phone vibration when it went off. Now I hear a noise but no vibration. I even changed the setting to high.
Yes I have the same issue with my 2018 X3. Took it to the dealer. And they ordered some part from Germany. But it’s still the same. No change. Going to take it back to the dealer again.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #82
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Field engineer drove be my car today. My service advisor said that they determined the system was working as designed and that they have had a lot of people moving from f series cars into the g series cars making by the same observation. I expected this would be the outcome but by at least reporting the issue to the dealer they have record of the complaint which could eventually lead to a software patch, but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #83
gordonyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW

Quote:
Field engineer drove be my car today. My service advisor said that they determined the system was working as designed and that they have had a lot of people moving from f series cars into the g series cars making by the same observation. I expected this would be the outcome but by at least reporting the issue to the dealer they have record of the complaint which could eventually lead to a software patch, but who knows.
To me I never drove any BMW before and I don't feel anything.

want some refund at least.
the blindspot alert doesn't make a sound and feels like getting nothing after paying full 900
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #84
fxoffroad
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 X3/'18 i3s/'12 X5/'03 Z8

Lane Departure warning/vibration works exceptionally well - and effective - in our X3.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #85
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonyz View Post
To me I never drove any BMW before and I don't feel anything.

want some refund at least.
the blindspot alert doesn't make a sound and feels like getting nothing after paying full 900
I’ve been driving a 530i for a week now and it is the exact same way. It’s pretty disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #86
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Just picked up our May 2018 build M40i with LDW. Vibration on "Strong" is practically non-existent.

07-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #87
steven619
Rep

They even replaced the steering wheel. Still does not work. on the highest settings, you feel nothing. Not even a small rumble. It's not a safety feature if it doesn't work. I'm waiting for it to be the fault during an accident before they take is seriously.

The engineer suggests ANYONE with this problem do the following:

Have them take the vehicle in and explain the issue, have the dealer submit and INFO only case with the subject title "Steering vibration insufficient feedback" have the dealer comment in the case that TSE Robert Coake and Jared Lee involved.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #88
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxoffroad View Post
[SIZE="3"]Lane Departure warning/vibration works exceptionally well - and effective - in our X3.[/SIZE]
Same. Driving home from the beach today, I got a little too close to the shoulder, and I felt a vibration right away. I thought maybe it was heavy gravel on the road, so I on purpose got close to the side again. again the vibration. So I tried the other way, into the centre of the road. same thing. this time however, I had been going over 70k, and so the car started to try and correct itself. Enough to be noticeable at least.

The vibration was certainly not "strong", but it was definitely enough to be noticeable on a regular road. and this was on the medium setting. IMO it works perfectly. Not strong enough to be an irritant or to freak you out, but enough to get your attention.

If you are expecting a "strong" vibration, I think you are expecting too much. however, if you are purposely trying to trigger it, and you can't feel anything or barely so after meeting the requirements of the system, it's definitely not working right. And I fully agree it's something that needs fixing. Definitely not a fault of the system though, so there should be hope for 100% of the people who it doesn't work for.
Appreciate 0