BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #23
pault949
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 F25 "Helga"

New guy here. I am experiencing the same hum as explained by OP (I have a 2014 X3 xDrive28i). I am planning on implementing the Dynamat solution shortly, but I think my real concern is the actual source of the noise. I put new tires on it and I was thinking the noise would subside a bit but there was no change at all. Could this be a drive line issue? It does seem to be emanating from the rear of the vehicle, so I am not thinking transmission but the source is the most concerning thing for me as there are some people on this thread that don't seem to have as bad a hum as others.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #24
pault949
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 F25 "Helga"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault949 View Post
New guy here. I am experiencing the same hum as explained by OP (I have a 2014 X3 xDrive28i). I am planning on implementing the Dynamat solution shortly, but I think my real concern is the actual source of the noise. I put new tires on it and I was thinking the noise would subside a bit but there was no change at all. Could this be a drive line issue? It does seem to be emanating from the rear of the vehicle, so I am not thinking transmission but the source is the most concerning thing for me as there are some people on this thread that don't seem to have as bad a hum as others.
Update: Took it into the dealer this morning and took a ride with the shop foreman. He immediately heard the noise and said that he was 90% sure that it was a wheel bearing. Then he decided to drive it and brought it up to about 40 mph and started to aggressively slalom. The tone would change on one turn of the slalom, but not on the other. At that point, he said he was 99% sure that it's a wheel bearing and that he would be 100% sure once it was on the lift.

Fortunately, it's still under CPO warranty and is covered. It's just going to cost me the $50 deductible.
Appreciate 0