BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-27-2020, 01:41 AM   #1
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

aFe drop in vs afe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si?

Sorry in advance for my confusion...

According to aFe’s website, the n55 35i pricier Magnum FORCE insulated cone intake is reporting decent dynoed gains, 32hp, 60tq, but they claim 10% air flow improvement over stock.

But... their drop in filter they claim increases air flow by 40+%??!!

Can someone please tell me what I’m missing? Is the cheaper drop in actually making more power some how? Or is the Magnum making that power with increased volume?

Last edited by pdubq; 03-27-2020 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
I think the difference is in one is talking about the filter itself and the other is talking about the intake and not the filter. When they compare the the OEM and their drop in, it can have up to 45% better flow. And when they compare the OEM ducting intake to their intake they get a 10% better flow in addition to the filter, I think.

It is confusing and not explained very well on their site. All I know is I am happy with my Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si Cold Air Intake
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
I think the difference is in one is talking about the filter itself and the other is talking about the intake and not the filter. When they compare the the OEM and their drop in, it can have up to 45% better flow. And when they compare the OEM ducting intake to their intake they get a 10% better flow in addition to the filter, I think.

It is confusing and not explained very well on their site. All I know is I am happy with my Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si Cold Air Intake
Thanks najnad!! I ordered the magnum force stage-2 last night regardless, but it’s great to hear you’re happy with it!! Looks like it’s a fairly straight forward DIY.

Did you also do the intake pipe and/or charge pipe?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
yes, I have the FTP intake and charge pipe, but I let my shop do those when my X3 was in for other service as I dont have a lift and hate crawling under the car.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0