BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5

Mobility Kit or Spare Tire (Tyre, for you who drive on the wrong side of the road!)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I am interested to know whether you have opted, or plan to opt if you have not yet purchased a X3M, for one over the other, and why.

A few considerations which occur to me:

1. Raised floor with a spare means you lose some cargo space and liftover height increases. Point in favor of mobility kit.
2. More than one flat at a time, rare though that may be, means a single spare won't be useful. Point in favor of mobility kit.
3. Donut spare has speed and range limitations a plugged tire may not. Point for the mobility kit.
4. If the mobility kit doesn't work for any reason, you have no alternative to to being towed. Point for the spare.
5. The mobility kit means do-it-yourself without regard to weather, darkness, and location. The spare can be used by AAA/RAC/BMW Roadside Assistance if you can summon them; not sure if they would attempt to use the mobility kit on your behalf if called? Call this a tie? Do-it-yourself repair with the mobility kit is faster under favorable environmental conditions, not so much otherwise.

What have i missed in thinking about the pros and cons of each solution?

A somewhat related question: Is the cargo cover able to be stored beneath the cargo area floor with either, or both, options?

Lastly, for those who have elected to go with the mobility kit, do you consider the included sealant sufficient, or are you adding a tire plug kit for potential roadside use? My understanding is that liquid sealants work well for smaller punctures, but that larger ones will need a plug.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

My goodness, you are methodical in your evaluation. I actually like that. Coming from an X3M40i, I already built my own mobility kit even though bmw gave you nothing but lots of storage with that vehicle on run flats. I chose the mobility kit on my X3MC foremost because I couldn't stand the trunk lip. Kinda defeats the purpose of the stainless skid/load plate. That said, I removed BMW's kit from the generous storage space and reinstalled my air compressor, jack, plug kit, and tire iron. I still have room under there for heavy duty jumper cables too. My personalized mobility kit probably cost me $300 total, but I'm ready to handle anything short of a slashed tire!
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

OP, if your car is equipped with TPMS, never use the liquid sealant since it will most likely damaged the sensor.

Secondly, I believe you will scrap that tire after the sealant or at the very least it will throw off the balancing if it not applied properly.

I personally would just put max pressure the tire can handle and drive to a safe place to plug it or have it plugged by a shop if you don't know how.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
DrGadget
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i F20 LCI-2

Garage List
2018 BMW M140i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
I am interested to know whether you have opted, or plan to opt if you have not yet purchased a X3M, for one over the other, and why.
Okay, I am not in the X3M forum, but thought I would submit my experiences concerning spare tyres. I hate run-flats (aka run-craps) and quickly sold my first set. Mercifully, the M140i has Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (tyres).

To stay worry-free on the open road requires a few more items than BMW puts in the 1 series – in fact, most of its cars based on my experiences. Originally for my E82, I purchased an OEM Mobility Kit (Part No. 71100413439) and an OEM Lifting Jack kit (Part No. 71102182448) which came with gloves, chock, breaker bar and torque wrench set to 19Nm.

I never had to use the Mobility Kit, and sold it with the E82. When it came to the Lifting Jack Kit, regrettably the breaker bar was too short and had to be replaced with a longer bar. Worse still, the torsion wrench in the kit did not have a right-angled connector to the socket and it too had to be replaced. Another short-coming of the kit was the fact that the bare metal socket needed to be replaced with a soft-skinned Kinchrome (like Sidchrome) version to protect the wheels. I also purchased a Michelin ML-12265 Tyre Inflator which inflates or deflates the tyre to reach the set pressure on the inbuilt gauge at the press of a button and is better than the mobility kit pump in the M140i.

The most expensive purchase was an OEM Space Saver spare wheel as shown in the images below - on the vehicle where you can see it clears the big calipers, and strapped in the boot. Unfortunately, even a space saver takes up boot space on a long trip, but I regard that as a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Last edited by DrGadget; 11-23-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I have the spare in my x3m. I miss having the extra storage (both underneath and above). But it’s good piece of mind knowing I have the spare. Fingers crossed that I never have to use it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

You don't only lose space and increase lift over with the spare - you lose the attachment "rails" and the attachment points for cargo nets, etc. So a decent loss of functionality if you are in to those things.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
DrGadget
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i F20 LCI-2

Garage List
2018 BMW M140i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbelly View Post
You don't only lose space and increase lift over with the spare - you lose the attachment "rails" and the attachment points for cargo nets, etc. So a decent loss of functionality if you are in to those things.
This assumes your Bimmer has an Extended Storage Pack, for many models.

I'd rather the peace of mind. 🤗
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #8
CaptSlow27
Private
Rep

I just ordered an X3M Comp last week - can anyone confirm that if you select the mobility kit option, you do not receive the spare tire and corresponding trunk hump? My dealer was less than confident in his answer (in fact, he had no idea about the mobility kit option to begin with).

Appreciate any insights.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 07:50 AM   #9
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSlow27 View Post
I just ordered an X3M Comp last week - can anyone confirm that if you select the mobility kit option, you do not receive the spare tire and corresponding trunk hump? My dealer was less than confident in his answer (in fact, he had no idea about the mobility kit option to begin with).

Appreciate any insights.
I just ordered last weekend and the dealer confirmed it won't have bump situation once you selected mobile kit. I verified this configuration for the car in the showroom as well. Exciting to track my production status now.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
munchy106
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 m comp

I rang the dealer last week letting them know I had now puncher kit and he has got back to me today to say he has it in for me to collect.👍👍
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #11
CaptSlow27
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
I just ordered last weekend and the dealer confirmed it won't have bump situation once you selected mobile kit. I verified this configuration for the car in the showroom as well. Exciting to track my production status now.
Thanks for the info. How long did it take for your dealer to get you the production number to track?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #12
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSlow27 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the info. How long did it take for your dealer to get you the production number to track?
I have the production number when placed the order. It was 112 status and no it just changed to 150. I believe it's for 2nd week of Dec in the production. I have been tracking the status on line and it's showing quite accurate. I suggest you to talk to your CA and they should give you a production number right away. BTW I'm in Central region and I'm told it was the last one for 112 status by the end of this year.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #13
CaptSlow27
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have the production number when placed the order. It was 112 status and no it just changed to 150. I believe it's for 2nd week of Dec in the production. I have been tracking the status on line and it's showing quite accurate. I suggest you to talk to your CA and they should give you a production number right away. BTW I'm in Central region and I'm told it was the last one for 112 status by the end of this year.
Contacted my CA, apparently I already have a VIN and the vehicle has entered production! Thanks for the information.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #14
russellg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I’d take a spare wheel over RSC tyres or tyre slime any day.

Preferably full size, I don’t know why BMW don’t implement the spare wheel solution better.

However, I’ll be running with the mobility kit for most of the season but I might look to pick up the pram wheel/space saver for the longer trips.

Our other car has a fall size 20” wheel as standard, inc jack and brace etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #15
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Just to add my 2 cents....

I had a 2005 M3 and hit a particularly bad pothole on Super Bowl Sunday which bent my rim and split the sidewall on the tire rendering the tire goo (M-Mobility) useless.

I called BMW roadside assistance and apparently they were not licensed to tow me off that road as the state had given exclusive rights to one towing company.

There I sat for 3 hours waiting for the tow truck to show up. When they finally did, I figured I was saved. Nope, he just towed me off the parkway and said I had to call another tow company.

Another 2 hours went by as I waited for both BMW and AAA to show up (who finally showed at the same time). At that point I had it towed to my sister's house which was in the area.

The experience was about 4 1/2 to 5 hours of me waiting on the side of the road.

I will NEVER buy a car without a spare tire again in my life. I think if I was in an area with no cell service in the middle of the winter what would I have done?

I'll deal with a hump and buy less stuff when shopping...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:12 PM   #16
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Missing a lot as SPTA 97 has stated

A mobility kit only works for a small puncture. It does not work for a blowout or for a tire that is blown the tread, or separated I too was stranded for six hours, my daughter drove to pick me up there and were no other options in the area that I was in , on a Sunday night, everything within 300 miles was closed . This was When the runflat on our 2015 X.3 blew out After hitting a pothole , I had a plug kit with me but the tread was separated and there was no chance to repair it. No one within 500 miles Was open or even had a tire that would fit. So the x3 was Flatbeded 300 miles east and my daughter drove us home 300 miles to the west
      11-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #17
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
Missing a lot as SPTA 97 has stated

A mobility kit only works for a small puncture. It does not work for a blowout or for a tire that is blown the tread, or separated I too was stranded for six hours, my daughter drove to pick me up there and were no other options in the area that I was in , on a Sunday night, everything within 300 miles was closed . This was When the runflat on our 2015 X.3 blew out After hitting a pothole , I had a plug kit with me but the tread was separated and there was no chance to repair it. No one within 500 miles Was open or even had a tire that would fit. So the x3 was Flatbeded 300 miles east and my daughter drove us home 300 miles to the west
Yikes! That's worse than mine!

To add, the rim was toast so I had to order a new one and the car sat at my sister's house while I waited and I had to have someone drive me home an hour away.

Once the new rim and tire came in (over a week later), I went back out to her place to get them mounted. A major snow storm was forecasted and luckily I had gotten everything back together as the flakes started to fall - the tires were summer performance.

Bottom line, had the same thing happened with a spare I could have thrown it on, taken it home, got the new rim and tire, and mounted it at my leisure.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:18 AM   #18
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Just to add my 2 cents....

I had a 2005 M3 and hit a particularly bad pothole on Super Bowl Sunday which bent my rim and split the sidewall on the tire rendering the tire goo (M-Mobility) useless.

I called BMW roadside assistance and apparently they were not licensed to tow me off that road as the state had given exclusive rights to one towing company.

There I sat for 3 hours waiting for the tow truck to show up. When they finally did, I figured I was saved. Nope, he just towed me off the parkway and said I had to call another tow company.

Another 2 hours went by as I waited for both BMW and AAA to show up (who finally showed at the same time). At that point I had it towed to my sister's house which was in the area.

The experience was about 4 1/2 to 5 hours of me waiting on the side of the road.

I will NEVER buy a car without a spare tire again in my life. I think if I was in an area with no cell service in the middle of the winter what would I have done?

I'll deal with a hump and buy less stuff when shopping...

...and this is another reason why buying a spare tire made sense to me
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:26 PM   #19
benignbrent
Registered
Rep
Drives: honda

if you are looking for tyres check out Karl Knudsen Automotive they have a great selection and very affordable price they also have a very professional car technicians
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #20
Hephaestus
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: M4

Need spare M4 2022 suggestions

I need a spare donut for the 19” wheel for my M4 2022. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0