BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Drivetrain malfunction on road trip

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I felt the car shudder a bit and then an error appeared: drivetrain malfunction continued driving possible. Car in limp mode, reduced power and red line is at 3000. Car shudders when pressing on throttle.

A slow drive into town, turned off car, after 10 minutes or so turned car back in, error is gone.

I'm 1200 miles from home, closest dealer is almost 400 miles away. And it's Saturday, so I feel like the best option is to just try to make it home.

Will this error pop up again so you think? Or was it just some transient computer glitch?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
Gsavarese
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Garage List
Can you find an autozone to scan the code and give you an idea what the fault is?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #3
x3mcer
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

See my previous threads on the same issue.

I've gone through fuel injectors and oxygen sensors, but no longer have confidence in the car.

This was supposed to be the ultimate dad car as my firstborn is on the way, but there is no way I trust carrying passengers in it.

Last edited by x3mcer; 08-14-2021 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #4
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3mcer View Post
See my previous threads on the same issue.

I've gone through fuel injectors and oxygen sensors, but no longer have confidence in the car.

This was supposed to be the ultimate dad car as my firstborn is on the way, but there is no way I trust carrying passengers in it.
I drove about 400 miles today with no issues. Except once on an overtake it seemed like the car stuttered a second before blasting off. I have an appt with the dealer the day after I get home assuming the CEL doesn't come on again and I end up getting towed.

My confidence in the car has been shaken a bit but this is the first issue I've had with any BMW in over 100,000 miles so I can't complain too much. And it may turn out to be a computer glitch? Hopefully not a constant string of issues…
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #5
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Drive it home and let the dealership figure it out. Could be as simple as bad gas. I have 20k miles on my X3MC and have had zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #6
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
I felt the car shudder a bit and then an error appeared: drivetrain malfunction continued driving possible. Car in limp mode, reduced power and red line is at 3000. Car shudders when pressing on throttle.

A slow drive into town, turned off car, after 10 minutes or so turned car back in, error is gone.

I'm 1200 miles from home, closest dealer is almost 400 miles away. And it's Saturday, so I feel like the best option is to just try to make it home.

Will this error pop up again so you think? Or was it just some transient computer glitch?
Just got back from Dealer. They said that two pistons misfired once, and that caused the fault. They said the misfire was likely caused by altitude (I was in the mountains about 7000' of elevation).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
Just got back from Dealer. They said that two pistons misfired once, and that caused the fault. They said the misfire was likely caused by altitude (I was in the mountains about 7000' of elevation).
Wut ... the turbos ran out of boost??? Nice dodge on the Dealers part.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0