BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-19-2022, 12:54 PM   #23
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbeeX3 View Post
Thanks for sharing this, I will think about it the only thing of not my preference is leather seats, my family find it too firm and they liked that non leather seats more comfortable. If you do not mind sharing can you please tell me how much dealer gave you this car, I just want to know how much dealer earns on such deals out of curiosity.

Thanks
Sure thing. I sold it the dealer for $38k on the dot. I have no experience with the sensa-tech seats. Wasn’t aware they are more comfortable. My daughter has the Volkswagen fake leather seats and I can’t stand them, as they make me sweat. We are going to sell her Tiguan and get her a rav4 with ventilated leather seats.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2022, 09:48 PM   #24
G01_nyc
Paul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i Msport

Quote:
If you do not mind can you please share what kind of deal you got on Factory ordered X3?

Thanks
Carbon black on mocha. Heated rear seats, rear sunshade for the baby, sensatec dash. Pretty much everything except dynamic handling, parking assist, HK and shadowline as the latter two options weren’t available. But also for the 30i Msport there are no All season tires available so I had to swap them out. I was able to get the $1000 loyalty rebate although this is my 1st Bmw and got $17k for my wife’s A3 with 60k miles and needed some work done to it. I was gonna take 15-16k
      01-20-2022, 07:24 PM   #25
SimSimma35
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M-sport (Tanzanite)

I love my 30i

Hello new member here just wanted to add my take. As someone who currently owns a 2018 30i(gave it to Mrs to ditch her X1) and now also have a 2022 30i with M-sport package I can honestly say the 30i has enough power for me. I don’t speed tht much, especially now with New York giving out tickets for going 35 mph(literally got a speeding ticket for going 45 in 30 zone a few months back). Like another member stated aside from the engine there’s literally no difference between to M40i even more so on the 2022 if you get the shadowline package.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2022, 07:45 PM   #26
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I understand why you didn't jive with the Q5, as I recently had the opportunity to drive around a family members new Q5 around the holidays. Its super nice and luxurious, but just not for me. However, the X3 30i and Q5 are competitors with similar engine power numbers, and believe me it did NOT leave me wanting for more power. If the M40i didn't exist, I doubt I'd be wishing for more oomph from an SUV. Unless you're drag racing at every stop light, I dont think you'll often notice anyone out-accelerating you. Combine that with the great handling and dynamics, plus the refreshed interior and exterior,, and you have a winner.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 1
      01-20-2022, 10:07 PM   #27
NewbeeX3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive30i 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by G01_nyc View Post
Carbon black on mocha. Heated rear seats, rear sunshade for the baby, sensatec dash. Pretty much everything except dynamic handling, parking assist, HK and shadowline as the latter two options weren’t available. But also for the 30i Msport there are no All season tires available so I had to swap them out. I was able to get the $1000 loyalty rebate although this is my 1st Bmw and got $17k for my wife’s A3 with 60k miles and needed some work done to it. I was gonna take 15-16k
Thanks for sharing this info really appreciate it and good to know that even on 1st BMW you got loyalty rebate.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:09 PM   #28
NewbeeX3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
Sure thing. I sold it the dealer for $38k on the dot. I have no experience with the sensa-tech seats. Wasn’t aware they are more comfortable. My daughter has the Volkswagen fake leather seats and I can’t stand them, as they make me sweat. We are going to sell her Tiguan and get her a rav4 with ventilated leather seats.
Really appreciate you sharing the details, looks like dealer is not making just 3 k on it. Yes we tried both leather seats and fake leather seats the fake one is more comfortable since it is less firm.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:10 PM   #29
NewbeeX3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I understand why you didn't jive with the Q5, as I recently had the opportunity to drive around a family members new Q5 around the holidays. Its super nice and luxurious, but just not for me. However, the X3 30i and Q5 are competitors with similar engine power numbers, and believe me it did NOT leave me wanting for more power. If the M40i didn't exist, I doubt I'd be wishing for more oomph from an SUV. Unless you're drag racing at every stop light, I dont think you'll often notice anyone out-accelerating you. Combine that with the great handling and dynamics, plus the refreshed interior and exterior,, and you have a winner.
Thanks for sharing your experience, this definitely helps in solidifying my decision for Xdrive 30i.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:17 PM   #30
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 x30i Dinan Sport gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettl View Post
I'm 2.5 years into a 30i xdrive. A couple things here and there, but none related to the engine. All in all it's been a great car. I moan about the power because i had a faster one before and made a choice I regret, in all honesty, the 30i is fine for day to day, especially if you don't don't care about being first to the next light. Here in northern CA, I find myself always stuck behind either a Prius or a hypermiling tesla, so who knows if I could use the extra power anyway…
My car fan teenage son and I were out today looking at a couple other cars as I'm trying to get ahead of lease end, looked at the Alpha Romero, RDX & XC60 and both said that even though my 30i is almost 3 years old, keeping it is the best option of those three. Bigger, still fresh even though it's pre-lci, and is much more composed on road with a fair amount of nimbleness for the curves.
Get a $ 221 Dinan chip and it transforms the car. Best 5 minute upgrade ever.

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D440-0047
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:03 AM   #31
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
Quote:
I'm 2.5 years into a 30i xdrive. A couple things here and there, but none related to the engine. All in all it's been a great car. I moan about the power because i had a faster one before and made a choice I regret, in all honesty, the 30i is fine for day to day, especially if you don't don't care about being first to the next light. Here in northern CA, I find myself always stuck behind either a Prius or a hypermiling tesla, so who knows if I could use the extra power anyway…
My car fan teenage son and I were out today looking at a couple other cars as I'm trying to get ahead of lease end, looked at the Alpha Romero, RDX & XC60 and both said that even though my 30i is almost 3 years old, keeping it is the best option of those three. Bigger, still fresh even though it's pre-lci, and is much more composed on road with a fair amount of nimbleness for the curves.
Get a $ 221 Dinan chip and it transforms the car. Best 5 minute upgrade ever.

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D440-0047
Funny you should mention… I initiated a lease buyout today on my 2019 that's due back in August, I just don't see the market getting back to the old 12% off days anytime in the next couple years and I refuse to pay more for less features…. Mines got 23k miles and most of the buttons I want so I'll keep it for a few more years. Nothing else out there drives as nice or has as much space in this class.
So I've been researching tires, jb+, jb4 & car bahn this evening. Car bahn is Dinans new company and is headquartered in San Jose near where I live. $500 gets it remapped to about 300 horsepower, another 500 for the warranty. I'll check out the Dinan branded box too, looks just as interesting!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:56 AM   #32
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimma35 View Post
Hello new member here just wanted to add my take. As someone who currently owns a 2018 30i(gave it to Mrs to ditch her X1) and now also have a 2022 30i with M-sport package I can honestly say the 30i has enough power for me. I don’t speed tht much, especially now with New York giving out tickets for going 35 mph(literally got a speeding ticket for going 45 in 30 zone a few months back). Like another member stated aside from the engine there’s literally no difference between to M40i even more so on the 2022 if you get the shadowline package.
You were surprised to get a ticket when you were going 15mph over the posted limit?

Appreciate 2
arRod1981910.50
racerbruce3853.50
      01-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #33
NewbeeX3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I've been researching tires, jb+, jb4 & car bahn this evening. Car bahn is Dinans new company and is headquartered in San Jose near where I live. $500 gets it remapped to about 300 horsepower, another 500 for the warranty. I'll check out the Dinan branded box too, looks just as interesting!!
I have never heard of this, does this void the warranty (4Y/50k)? If not are there any other concerns related to this change or it works without any issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 04:24 PM   #34
brettl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have never heard of this, does this void the warranty (4Y/50k)? If not are there any other concerns related to this change or it works without any issues?
There's a lot of debate in the forum on this subject. Yes, from what I understand if a failure is caused by a piggyback (or a tune) and bmw can prove it, they can decline a warranty claim. if the dealer notices a piggyback or a tune in the Ecu they may or may not overlook it or note the vehicle records. According to many on this forum (myself included) think ecu tunes are a better way to go as they can address several parameters in the engine making it a 'safer' way to go. Car bahn, Steve dinans new company offers a tune, dinans philosophy from what I understand is get more from the car safely, even at the expense of a few peak horsepower which resonates with me. The piggyback on the other hand fools one or two sensors to achieve the result, but could create other potential problems. Advantage is they are cheaper and can be easily removed before going for service, but from what I can tell, if bmw try's really hard, they can tell that a piggyback was attached triggering the aforementioned warranty concerned. I'm on the fence in what to do. Wait a year and a half till warranty is done and go tune? Screw the warranty and go now? Piggyback now? Have another beer and think about it some more? Just drive in sport for a couple weeks? What's a guy to do?
Appreciate 2
racerbruce3853.50
      01-21-2022, 05:37 PM   #35
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

You will really enjoy the 30i. Nothing wrong with them at all. I had four x3's.
2013 35i ( in line 6) . 2016 28i ( 4 cyl). 2018 x3 30i and currently 2022 M40.

My dealers sell a lot more 30i than M40. You will see more 30i's on the road than M40. You are right most likely don't need all the extras so why pay more.

Only on this forum will have the most M40i, likely as more car enthusiasts here, with too much time. haha. Actually, I also noticed your astute observation of who the posters are.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 05:52 PM   #36
SimSimma35
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M-sport (Tanzanite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_G01 View Post
You were surprised to get a ticket when you were going 15mph over the posted limit?

So you just skipped over the part where I said “I don’t speed that much” lol. I wasn’t surprised at all, I was rushing to work and tried to catch a light which was the only reason I ended up going that fast in that moment. I wasn’t consistently going 15 over.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:06 PM   #37
NewbeeX3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
You will really enjoy the 30i. Nothing wrong with them at all. I had four x3's.
2013 35i ( in line 6) . 2016 28i ( 4 cyl). 2018 x3 30i and currently 2022 M40.

My dealers sell a lot more 30i than M40. You will see more 30i's on the road than M40. You are right most likely don't need all the extras so why pay more.

Only on this forum will have the most M40i, likely as more car enthusiasts here, with too much time. haha. Actually, I also noticed your astute observation of who the posters are.
Thanks for taking out time and sharing your experience, really appreciate it.
Yes almost every thread/post and posters are M40 only. May be my next upgrade after 30i will be 40i.
Appreciate 1
barcelona271.00
      01-21-2022, 08:11 PM   #38
JaeP
Private
Rep

Quote:
There's a lot of debate in the forum on this subject. Yes, from what I understand if a failure is caused by a piggyback (or a tune) and bmw can prove it, they can decline a warranty claim. if the dealer notices a piggyback or a tune in the Ecu they may or may not overlook it or note the vehicle records. According to many on this forum (myself included) think ecu tunes are a better way to go as they can address several parameters in the engine making it a 'safer' way to go. Car bahn, Steve dinans new company offers a tune, dinans philosophy from what I understand is get more from the car safely, even at the expense of a few peak horsepower which resonates with me. The piggyback on the other hand fools one or two sensors to achieve the result, but could create other potential problems. Advantage is they are cheaper and can be easily removed before going for service, but from what I can tell, if bmw try's really hard, they can tell that a piggyback was attached triggering the aforementioned warranty concerned. I'm on the fence in what to do. Wait a year and a half till warranty is done and go tune? Screw the warranty and go now? Piggyback now? Have another beer and think about it some more? Just drive in sport for a couple weeks? What's a guy to do?

There was a time when my BMW dealer offered and installed the Dinan Sportronics on my 2014, 2017 X3’s. They stopped doing it but my dealer isn’t concerned. In fact I bought my first one from the dealer. I went to the dealer and a tech there showed me where the connectors should go on my 2021 X3 but I installed it with my sales guy. So I was comfortable. Your experience may vary.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:25 PM   #39
brettl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
Quote:

There was a time when my BMW dealer offered and installed the Dinan Sportronics on my 2014, 2017 X3’s. They stopped doing it but my dealer isn’t concerned. In fact I bought my first one from the dealer. I went to the dealer and a tech there showed me where the connectors should go on my 2021 X3 but I installed it with my sales guy. So I was comfortable. Your experience may vary.
I'm planning to use a different dealer for repairs going forward. One dealer seems to be more okay then the other.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:49 PM   #40
lxlxlx
Rep
Drives: Lemon 2020 X3

Quote:
Hi I am currently the owner of Accord, and want to get a SUV.
Initially I short listed X3,Q5,GV70,GLC300. Drive wise I liked the X3 30i best among all of these options, GV70 is very close infect in few things even better, just because it is new in the market I am not going for it. GLC is due for a complete makeover soon, so I do not want to buy the current model. Drive wise I did not like Q5 compared to X3 30i.

On this forum most of the posts are about X3 M40i or X3M and nothing much about X3 30i. Most of the people I spoke to personally, advised me against 30i they said either go for M40i or else get some other brand! BMW ends up more in servicing center than any other car! But during my test drive 30i came on top, hence it is not getting off my mind so asking your help/experience.

I will be buying new X3 30i and planning to keep it for 4 years and then change it.

My questions is - Is X3 30i really a bad choice? power wise I am ok with 30i, at the moment I do not need more power than 30i. X3M and 40i are beyond my budget. When I checked the USA sales figure of Q5, GLC300 and X3 the X3 always sold more than other two every year.
Even brand new X3 30i will end up making multiple trips for maintenances in its first 4 years? Is the the build quality so bad?

Please share you experience with X3 30i and provide any suggestions in this regard.

Thanks
X3 does drive better than many competitors, but speaking from personal experience it's the worst car I've ever had in terms of build quality, although I'm definitely in the minority.

Mine was a factory ordered 2020 30i xdrive. In the first three months after delivery and in less than 2000 miles, I had to take it to the dealer *7* times to fix all types of major and minor issues. In less than a year, it spent more than 45 days at the dealer. Its best reliability record was 4 month without a dealer visit. BMW NA did absolutely nothing to help.

"Luckily" there were a few issues that they could not fix / refused to acknowledge, which allowed me to go through my state's lemon law program and get a judgement against BMW.

PM me if you're interested in the details.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2022, 11:50 AM   #41
JaeP
Private
Rep

I’ve owned now 9 X3’s, including 2 2020 X3Ms, 2021 x30i and zero problems except for one 2017 where the HK amp was replaced twice under warranty.

I must have been very lucky but most cars have had very little problems for me.

Last edited by JaeP; 01-22-2022 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-22-2022, 02:07 PM   #42
keithguido
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3M40 1984 911 TARGA

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40  [10.00]
Wife loves her 30 MSport. Just drove 5,000 miles it Pittsburgh at 30+ MPG. Coming from 400hp 550I she has no problems!

Last edited by keithguido; 03-05-2022 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
JaeP63.00
Tch-Nrd124.50
      01-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #43
JaeP
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithguido View Post
Wife loves her 30 MSport. Just drove 5,000 miles it Pittsburgh at 30+ MPG. Coming frpn 400hp 550I she has no problems!
If you install a Dinan Sport, she will really love it ! I did it 2 weeks ago and it’s so much more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:13 PM   #44
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

I have a 2019 X3 30i MSport.......LOVE IT. I actually bought it out after the lease was done. I have installed the BAVSOUND speaker up grade and its GREAT Also I have th BPM Sport ECU flash and it really transforms the car. When I bring in for service just flash back to stock, then vice-versa afterwards. Really great. Yeah it would be nice to have the X3M.....but with these prices now......what's the point of paying MSRP??

I think the X3 is the best bang for buck all around vehicle right now, if you want something a nicer than a Toyota or Honda. I've never really had problems at all and the car runs amazing.