BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Help me diagnose transmission!

Hi All-

Very interested in picking up my next project, a 2007 X3 M Sport 3.0si. It's billed as a "no-move" mechanic's special. I love the challenge and have experience with e46's, e39's, my current M2, and most recently a 2007 335i.

The 2/07 build date X3 has 112k on it and allegedly no transmission issues before this. I'm not aware if it has the SIB for the holding gear when climbing but I assume so based on no issues to date. The owner could be downplaying things tho too.

The current owner stated that it lurched forward when he put it in drive, then he released the parking brake, and it has not moved since. No more information than that at this time.

I'm not a transmission guy but I've watched a YouTube teardown on the 6L45 and I think I could do it if I had to. But putting in a zip kit looks like "fun". Based on the description of how it died, would anyone be able to take a guess as to the issue? Asking price is $1500 and that seems pretty manageable if I don't need to pay BMW to replace the tranny.

Last edited by CantComplain; 04-13-2020 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

I bought two transmission and two motors for my 335d recently. Not sure about the 4*4 and related. Perhaps a good time to swap a manual?

Could it be seized engine? I'd start there. As I seized the 35d last winter.
Appreciate 0