BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #45
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Its narrow due to side bolster and hard to get comfortable if you are a big person. I have the comp and I am a 6ft 200lb guy and its a tad narrow. I can live with it but that is the compromise. I bought mine sight unseen or driven and got the first customer spec'd one in Michigan. Lesson learned. On the contrary the M8 seats are amazing as are the X5/7 and the M5. Just the right width and very comfy for long trips.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #46
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Its narrow due to side bolster and hard to get comfortable if you are a big person. I have the comp and I am a 6ft 200lb guy and its a tad narrow. I can live with it but that is the compromise. I bought mine sight unseen or driven and got the first customer spec'd one in Michigan. Lesson learned. On the contrary the M8 seats are amazing as are the X5/7 and the M5. Just the right width and very comfy for long trips.

Noushy
Hey Noushy .. thanks for your input. I appreciate that you commented on the M8 seats. I'm about to spec an M850i, which can be speced with M sport seats as an option, and I was worried that the M8 seats will be the same as the ones in X3M in terms on width. I haven't sat in the new M8, but have tried the X3M and I definitely share the same sentiment as others. Could you please elaborate more on the comparison between the seats. You will definitely help me .. thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #47
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBMW6 View Post
Quote:

Noushy
Hey Noushy .. thanks for your input. I appreciate that you commented on the M8 seats. I'm about to spec an M850i, which can be speced with M sport seats as an option, and I was worried that the M8 seats will be the same as the ones in X3M in terms on width. I haven't sat in the new M8, but have tried the X3M and I definitely share the same sentiment as others. Could you please elaborate more on the comparison between the seats. You will definitely help me .. thanks
The M8 seats are wider and much more supportive, more geared towards comfort. They were specifically designed for that and I know this because Magna designed the seats and my good friend is the VP of R&D and told me so. I have a 50 mile commute each way and no issues driving the M8. In fact it is parked outside the hospital tonight since I am on call. The X3Mc is fine and I drive it a lot but just because they look similar they are not the same. The cushions and padding in the M8 are thicker and deeper whereas the seats in the X3Mc are thinner and less padded. Adjustments are the same but that is BMW. I am able to get much more comfortable in the M8, it is much closer to a 7 series where the X3Mc is more like a M3. You will be fine in the M850i it is a terrific daily driver and the softer ride makes it a better long distance cruiser. I would not worry about the seats or comfort, the 8 series is much wider and that gives it bigger armrests and more room.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #48
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The M8 seats are wider and much more supportive, more geared towards comfort. They were specifically designed for that and I know this because Magna designed the seats and my good friend is the VP of R&D and told me so. I have a 50 mile commute each way and no issues driving the M8. In fact it is parked outside the hospital tonight since I am on call. The X3Mc is fine and I drive it a lot but just because they look similar they are not the same. The cushions and padding in the M8 are thicker and deeper whereas the seats in the X3Mc are thinner and less padded. Adjustments are the same but that is BMW. I am able to get much more comfortable in the M8, it is much closer to a 7 series where the X3Mc is more like a M3. You will be fine in the M850i it is a terrific daily driver and the softer ride makes it a better long distance cruiser. I would not worry about the seats or comfort, the 8 series is much wider and that gives it bigger armrests and more room.

Noushy
Thanks man .. I appreciate your detailed and prompt response. Yes indeed, I was comparing the seats based on ascetics as they look similar in terms of design. I didn't expect the difference would be as much as you've described. Even my dealer couldn't provide me with information about the seat variance. Since I'm overseas, my dealer didn't receive any M8s yet and I was forced to compare to the X3M seats. But I'm glade I came to this forum and spotted your response. One more inquiry .. Have you tried the standard seats in the M850i in comparison to the M8 seats? If you did, which one would you recommend in terms of comfort and support? I would appreciate your comment as it would settle my choice. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #49
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBMW6 View Post
Quote:

Noushy
Thanks man .. I appreciate your detailed and prompt response. Yes indeed, I was comparing the seats based on ascetics as they look similar in terms of design. I didn't expect the difference would be as much as you've described. Even my dealer couldn't provide me with information about the seat variance. Since I'm overseas, my dealer didn't receive any M8s yet and I was forced to compare to the X3M seats. But I'm glade I came to this forum and spotted your response. One more inquiry .. Have you tried the standard seats in the M850i in comparison to the M8 seats? If you did, which one would you recommend in terms of comfort and support? I would appreciate your comment as it would settle my choice. Thanks
I sat in an early M850i when they first came out and test drove it. I found that seat to be equally comfortable. Their is no choice in the M8 comp, you get the sport seat. Other than slightly wider bolsters it's about the same. The seats in the X7 are the same as the M850i according to magna and they are fantastic. I prefer the support of the M seats because I am used to it, having owned many M cars but really you will be fine with either. If you drive fast and corner hard get the sportier seat, otherwise both are fine.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #50
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I sat in an early M850i when they first came out and test drove it. I found that seat to be equally comfortable. Their is no choice in the M8 comp, you get the sport seat. Other than slightly wider bolsters it's about the same. The seats in the X7 are the same as the M850i according to magna and they are fantastic. I prefer the support of the M seats because I am used to it, having owned many M cars but really you will be fine with either. If you drive fast and corner hard get the sportier seat, otherwise both are fine.

Noushy
Thanks a lot for your input .. much appreciate it. Enjoy your rides
Appreciate 1
noushy1657.00
      02-16-2020, 08:05 AM   #51
Ironwood
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

Yes, I complained earlier about how painful manspreading is on these cars. If a vendor sold one, I'd definitely purchase a specially made pad that filled up the seat to prevent the knife-like lower seat bolsters from digging into my thighs. It is my wife's car and she loves it, so I shouldn't complain.

Edit: We took her X3M on a two hour drive to the North GA mountains to ride the Tail of the Dragon. That's a stretch of road with 300 curves in 11 miles and no intersecting roads. It is popular with motorcycles and high end sports cars. I took a well used bed pillow and placed it in the driver's seat and it was really comfortable. It filled up the area between the lower seat bolsters enough that my thighs didn't notice them. My God this car handles! The noises my wife was making were spectacular! I could approach a hairpin at high speed and stand on the brakes and whip through the turns with no tire squealing at all. The only squealing was coming from the passenger seat.

Last edited by Ironwood; 03-17-2020 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
noushy1657.00
      02-24-2020, 07:13 AM   #52
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

I'm 6'1" 200 Lbs and I find the seats to be quite uncomfortable because of the narrow seat bottom. The rest is fine. I also sit manspreading and usually have my left foot on the foot rest or pulled back a lot more where my calf is up against the seat and my foot is flat on the floor.

I never noticed it before I bought the car but find that it makes me really dislike the vehicle because Im never comfortable when driving it and I dread any long distance trip that I might need to take.

Per some of the recommendations here I have been trying to push/pull on the bolster to try and open them up a little bit. They stay spread for a little while be then creep back to their original position. Maybe after more attempts they will finally stay. It's made it a little better but I wouldn't say that it's good yet. It's been frustrating, my M3's were much more comfortable.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #53
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barathon View Post
I'm 6'1" 200 Lbs and I find the seats to be quite uncomfortable because of the narrow seat bottom. The rest is fine. I also sit manspreading and usually have my left foot on the foot rest or pulled back a lot more where my calf is up against the seat and my foot is flat on the floor.

I never noticed it before I bought the car but find that it makes me really dislike the vehicle because Im never comfortable when driving it and I dread any long distance trip that I might need to take.

Per some of the recommendations here I have been trying to push/pull on the bolster to try and open them up a little bit. They stay spread for a little while be then creep back to their original position. Maybe after more attempts they will finally stay. It's made it a little better but I wouldn't say that it's good yet. It's been frustrating, my M3's were much more comfortable.
I have to agree. I loved these seats when I first got the car, but over time they have become more and more uncomfortable. I no longer enjoy driving it as I constantly feel pain in my hips and thighs from the seats. I'm 6ft 1 and 185lbs, so not excessively big either. Rather than getting better over time it feels like it is getting worse - I think as the seat base breaks in, you sit lower in the seat, putting even more pressure on the sides. I may have to try a cushion to lift me up out of the base a bit. I may consider selling it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #54
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
I have to agree. I loved these seats when I first got the car, but over time they have become more and more uncomfortable. I no longer enjoy driving it as I constantly feel pain in my hips and thighs from the seats. I'm 6ft 1 and 185lbs, so not excessively big either. Rather than getting better over time it feels like it is getting worse - I think as the seat base breaks in, you sit lower in the seat, putting even more pressure on the sides. I may have to try a cushion to lift me up out of the base a bit. I may consider selling it.
That sucks - surely there is a way to mod this to be more comfortable?

Like perhaps taking the leather off and breaking/cutting the bolsters so they lie flat?

I haven't been on a long trip and just have been dealing with the less than ideal comfort.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #55
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
I think it’s metal. As per earlier post I pushed mine more open, it can be flexed outward a few mm. Did same on passenger seat too as it was even narrower and bothered my skinny wife. It’s better now, still snug, but my thighs don’t ache. 6’1 and 34” here.

When I first got the car the seats felt fine, 1500 miles later the ache kicked in. The above has helped though.
I had a similar problem when I first got my M2C. A thigh ache from the seat bolsters. It appeared after my first long trip but is no longer a problem. However I do seem to put my left leg more "on" it than "in" it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #56
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep

It bothers me after 5 or 10 mins of driving. Very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #57
drjoe66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 & 2019 X3

Same problem in the M3. The Seat bottom is too narrow. Very uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #58
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

Are the sport seats worse or better than the standard non comp seats? (referring to the leg/butt dimensions) (tried to type space instead of dimensions and it was censored -- go figure)

Still deciding which way I want go. Really want a comp, but not a fan of 21" wheels and the seats are a concern. Not overly fat 6'2", 240lbs.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 02:50 AM   #59
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

fits me fine. maybe go on a diet ?
      03-15-2020, 03:33 AM   #60
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
fits me fine. maybe go on a diet ?
I have zero fat on my ass or legs, but thanks for assuming we are fat.

I love we how comfortable the standard X3 M Sport Seats are.
Appreciate 2
hilld185.00
heavyD^23688.50
      03-15-2020, 03:43 AM   #61
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post
Are the sport seats worse or better than the standard non comp seats? (referring to the leg/butt dimensions) (tried to type space instead of dimensions and it was censored -- go figure)

Still deciding which way I want go. Really want a comp, but not a fan of 21" wheels and the seats are a concern. Not overly fat 6'2", 240lbs.
Non comp isn't an option in the UK, but if they are similar to the regular X3 seats, that's the way to go if you are tall. The M seats are about 12.5" between the bolsters. They are quite tall bolsters too, so there's quite a bit of pressure there unless you have very narrow hips.

I have no issues with regular X3 seats, nor the 850i seats. In fact no other car has had seats as narrow as the comp that I've sat in. Even the M235i seats are broader.

I cycle a lot so am pretty trim, but my hips are broad and my thighs quite muscular. I've ordered a cushion from Amazon to lift me up out the bolsters a bit.
Appreciate 1
hilld185.00
      03-15-2020, 07:28 AM   #62
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I noticed that I’ve adopted a new searing position which seems to help . Previously my legs would be extended and spread with my left foot on the rest plate near the peddles and the bolsters digging into my thighs.

Now my left knee is 90 degrees with my foot flat on the mat and my thigh is pretty much on top of the bolster.

This way my right leg has room and there is not as much pressure from the left bolster.

I didn’t realize I was doing this until yesterday but it seems to help.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #63
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

this thread is the only one that makes me glad i got the standard x3m and not the competition. The seats bothered me on my short test drive and wasn't sure if i could deal with it for 3 years. my non comp standard sport seats are plenty comfy. although i wish they had ventilation... they tend to get very warm even w/o the heated seats on
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #64
X4MforME
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M

Garage List
2020 X4M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
I've had my X3MC for 3 weeks now and for some reason I've just started noticing that I barely fit in the seat width wise. I weight about 220, 6 ft tall, and my thighs sort of over hang the butt/leg area bolsters a little bit. I haven't really found the seats uncomfortable per se but I think they would be much more comfortable in I fit completely inside the butt/leg bolster area. I'm no lard ass, but I'm not a skinny mini either. Anyone else experience this? Would the X5M(C) have wider seats? I don't notice this in our new 2020 Chrysler Pacifica minivan as I seem to fit within the entire seats in it and I must say they are more comfortable (not sure if it's all because of the width or just the seats are more comfy in general--of course it's not a performance vehicle either and I realize that fact). What do you think?
YES! Very similar stats here. And the bottom sides of seat are quite sharply contoured. Was thinking bout breaking them down a bit by letting my mother in law drive it a bit....🤭
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #65
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowMeaWay View Post
YES! Very similar stats here. And the bottom sides of seat are quite sharply contoured. Was thinking bout breaking them down a bit by letting my mother in law drive it a bit....🤭
That might do it . . .

I've noticed that the "knife edge" on my MSport seats has already started to soften. Use a ton of leather conditioner and that should help. Make sure you work the conditioner into the seam really good.

The first week I had the car I was feeling the sharp edge along the seam push into my outer thighs (causing some discomfort) but now I don't feel it anymore. I kept pushing the bolsters apart too. The seat is still a bit snug in the butt/thighs, but no longer uncomfortable/annoying. I'm now very glad I went with the upgraded seats on my base X3M. Plus the ventilation is nice to have. The 'suck" method these seats use is much more effective than the "blower" method in my wife's X5. Can't wait to see how they work in the warmer weather.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #66
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

5'1', 105lb (female) here. Not much rear to squeeze into the seat, so the seat bottoms are very comfy for me. But I can't quite get the seat back/lumbar support to be as comfy as the Macan that replaced my X3 had. Any ideas on that? Can the lumbar be raised up & down, or just pushed out & in?
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0