BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-15-2023, 12:54 PM   #1
Damiank
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Bmw X3M Comp

Clicking noise from rear

I have a clicking noise coming from the rear of the car everytime I step on the accelerator while being in D or R transmission. I seen a few posts about it but I never seen a concrete resolution to the problem. Anyone that knows please chime in I would appreciate it very much. I am bringing it to the dealer but I can already sense they are trying to tell me it’s normal noise for an M car. Car is a 2022 BMW X3m Comp around 12,000 miles on the clock.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 02:06 PM   #2
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have the same issue only under acceleration, I cant figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 02:35 PM   #3
cardtables
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC, 2020 X7 40i

There are alot of threads about this.... I have it too on mine. The quick answer is that there is a service bulletin for the same drivetrain on other models, and the fix is locktite on the drive shaft i believe. the X3M is not listed on the models affected, so some have had issues getting the dealership to do it.

Do a search to check out the other threads on the issue, good luck!
thestimp981.00
      11-15-2023, 06:23 PM   #4
Damiank
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I have see the bulletin somewhere in a post but it’s no longer available when clicked. I regret not taking a picture of it prior. Maybe someone on here can provide it again? I sat down with the SA and they kept on looking in their computer system for anything related to such sound and nothing. Some people say it’s adding that BMW locktite and some say it’s some differential bolt. Anyone else possibly knows further please chime in. I hate the sounds and I can’t believe that it could be normal operation.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 08:02 PM   #5
Damiank
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you this seems something new and different. However I don’t have any shaking or hesitation. It’s only a clicking sound everytime I hit the gas.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 01:27 PM   #6
Damiank
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Car is at the dealership. I am getting the usual speach like everything is fine with your car this noise is normal. Anyone can help get more info on this issue? Just so I can prove to the dealer other people have this issue and it’s getting resolved at certain dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 11:48 PM   #7
cardtables
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC, 2020 X7 40i

Try this service bulletin - I took screenshots.
Attached Images

Nippa16.50
      11-18-2023, 10:44 AM   #8
Damiank
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks so much. I will definetly provide this to my SA. Much appreciated for your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:16 AM   #9
IcEWoLF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiank View Post
Car is at the dealership. I am getting the usual speach like everything is fine with your car this noise is normal. Anyone can help get more info on this issue? Just so I can prove to the dealer other people have this issue and it’s getting resolved at certain dealerships.
The tech who sat with me on the test drive tried to tell me the same crap. I told him it wasn’t normal and they needed to fix it or I was going to call BMW corporate and send them a video of the noise.

Rest assured, they fix it. I gave them the bulletin number and they got it all taken care of last winter. No issues since.

Some of these bums (techs) think a cliking noise on an $80k car is normal. They should be out of their jobs.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 03:45 PM   #10
Damiank
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcEWoLF View Post
The tech who sat with me on the test drive tried to tell me the same crap. I told him it wasn’t normal and they needed to fix it or I was going to call BMW corporate and send them a video of the noise.

Rest assured, they fix it. I gave them the bulletin number and they got it all taken care of last winter. No issues since.

Some of these bums (techs) think a cliking noise on an $80k car is normal. They should be out of their jobs.
Thank you for sharing. Did you provide them with the bulletin SI B26 01 18 that was shared in this post?

The dealer is giving me such a hard time. Since the X3M is not in that bulletin they don’t seem interested in doing the repairs. I might have to call corporate. These people are nuts I don’t know why they are so crappy. This whole warranty is nonsense because they don’t want to do any work.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 02:11 AM   #11
IcEWoLF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiank View Post
Thank you for sharing. Did you provide them with the bulletin SI B26 01 18 that was shared in this post?

The dealer is giving me such a hard time. Since the X3M is not in that bulletin they don’t seem interested in doing the repairs. I might have to call corporate. These people are nuts I don’t know why they are so crappy. This whole warranty is nonsense because they don’t want to do any work.
Yes, I’d suggest telling the Service Advisor to call their regional tech rep or BMW corporate.

Keep escalating until they get off their lazy ass and get it taken care of. Countless members used the above bulletin to fix this annoying issue.

I’m surprised the bmw techs haven’t requested the bulletin to be updated to include the X3M/X4M to the list. Just shows how lazy some of these people are.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 11:17 AM   #12
Damiank
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Well finnaly after going back and forth multiple arguments they ended up fixing it. They used the info in the bulletin and it worked. Super happy about that but the service from these service centers is horrible nowadays. I can only speak on my experience but this warranty is bullshit. The amount of time and headaches I spent to get this fixed I could of easily paid someone else to do it and save the stress. The people at the service center were acting like they are doing me a favor for addressing and fixing my car that’s nuts.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 03:37 PM   #13
reedcour
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M

I have the same issue, i have to take it into the dealer. its super annoying.
Appreciate 1