BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-11-2019, 02:42 AM   #1
Eulenspiegel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i; 1994 E34 530i

Cruise control cannot be activated

I see this message, cruise control cannot be activated, and another one: Activate cruise control first, quite often, when they are almost never called for, in my opinion. As to Activate cruise control first, perhaps when the Set button is pushed, what should an well designed system presume that the driver intended??? Why should it be necessary to push a separate activate button first?

Also, ACC deactivates any time the brake pedal is touched, however lightly. Since ACC approaches slow and stopped cars much too fast, I often/usually instinctively or voluntarily use the brake to get it right. Or, maybe I just stop for a traffic light. At least if the car comes to a complete stop, pressing the Resume button often does not have the sensible result of re-engaging ACC, and thus resuming the pre-set speed as soon as traffic allows (as it does if one accelerates first and then pushed the Resume button)

To restate, is there any reason why Set cannot be used without the separate step of pushing the activate ACC button first? Is there any reason why the Resume button should not re-activate (ie, resume) the preselected speed (subject to maintaining the set number of spaces behind cars ahead, of course)?

Put this in the "Things I hate about my X3" list.

/Rant off/
1999 E39 540i
2011 F25 X3 XDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Cruise control cannot be activated

When you the push the ACC button, the adaptive/active cruise control is SET to the current speed. After this, with the rocker switch you can change it to the speed limit speed, or any other speed you desire. I think it's intuitive, but for you probably not.
If you brake while ACC is on, you are overriding the system and thus taking control of the car. The car shouldn't be able to override a driver, so the ACC is paused in this case, assuming you are taking control. Try to trust the ACC when approaching traffic and let the system do, what it can. It will still warn you, when it's not able to reduce the speed enough to stop the car before hitting the traffic in front of you and you have still the time to stop it by yourself. You can change the gap between the car in front of you when using ACC, which can result in earlier braking. Play with it and I'm sure you will find some setting the you will be happy with.

I agree, that getting into the speed after the car in front of you move to the other lane is quite slow, but you can still press the gas pedal (that will not stop the ACC,) and get to the desire speed faster. In case of traffic light - you should be the one, that tells the car, to start moving after a stop at the lights, not the other way around.

This is cover quite clearly in the manual this time. If you don't understand it, try to go to the dealership and let the genius explain you the system and how they work. It will save you of the anger for not understating why your vehicle is acting the way it is and not the way you think it should. Coming from and old car I assume all of this is quite new to you, so be patient and take your time to read the manual, watch some videos and learn. Good luck.
TXSchnee1316.50
      05-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
I believe ACC relies on the radar sensor and not the cameras (correct me if I'm wrong), which is why the system does a poor job of recognizing vehicles that are stopped.

The key to using ACC is having it lock onto a vehicle in front (identified by the BMW 5 series in your dashboard). Otherwise, the system is not really functioning any different than standard 'dynamic' cruise control. When you approach stopped vehicles at an interchange, is the 5 series icon present? If not, the car has not realized you are coming up on stopped vehicles.

Until ACC utilizes both the radar and cameras, it is not a complete solution. That being said, I still love this feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
jondreads
Rep
Drives: X3, 3er Touring

When approaching slow moving or stopped traffic that ACC has not yet spotted I'll manually brake and press resume when I've roughly matched speeds.

The only time I've noticed the car will say it can't activate ACC is when I'm stopped and the system is completely off or if it is paused and I'm moving and still braking. I need to come to a complete stop before hitting resume or let go of the brake pedal first.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
Eulenspiegel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i; 1994 E34 530i

I am fully capable of reading and understanding the manual. The point is: I just don't like some of the decisions BMW made in implementing the controls. To the extent trust is the issue, it would help if I always knew, for sure, whether ACC is active without taking my attention away from hitting the car in front of me. In any case, by poor engineering decision or more likely by limited ability to look far enough ahead, it just approaches slow or stopped cars too fast for my liking, and I'm a pretty aggressive driver when I'm in control or the car.

As to the ACC controls that I'm complaining about here, the set button is often useful for telling the car, yes, ACC at the current speed is what I want. Since it deactivates so often (touch the brake), I might not be sure without looking whether ACC is currently on and activated, on and deactivated or Off. If it's already on, the top ACC button will shut it off! Allowing the Set button to turn it on if necessary, activate if necessary and set the speed would be sensible, convenient, and keep my eyes on the road. What harm would it cause?

As to the resume button, jondreads says "The only time I've noticed the car will say it can't activate ACC is when I'm stopped and the system is completely off or if it is paused and I'm moving and still braking. I need to come to a complete stop before hitting resume or let go of the brake pedal first."
When I brake and come to a complete stop, there is no good reason that I can see for the ACC to turn itself actually off. That should be an example of deactivation. In fact, I think it is just deactivated, because if I step on the accelerator and start moving, the resume button works. Again, my complaint is that, while still stopped, I should be able to use the resume button to say, hey, I was driving using ACC. Too bad I had to use the brake. Now, resume what I was doing, i.e. ACC on and activated and set to the former speed now (without using the accelerator) to the extent any traffic ahead of me allows. Where's the harm?
edit: I wonder if Auto H) is affecting the behavior after a stop.)
1999 E39 540i
2011 F25 X3 XDrive35i

Last edited by Eulenspiegel; 05-11-2019 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
jondreads
Rep
Drives: X3, 3er Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulenspiegel View Post
Again, my complaint is that, while still stopped, I should be able to use the resume button to say, hey, I was driving using ACC.
Pretty sure that's what I do, with auto hold on. If I'm behind a car it will follow the other car when it moves off. If not, I agree you have to do 2 actions (resume and press the accelerator) and perhaps it could be one. I guess BMW have taken the view that the car shouldn't start moving because of a steering wheel button press?
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
allie2931
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

I'm having a similar problem when I active adaptive cruise control it says frontal collision and acc not working. it sometimes works and other times it dose not work. any thoughts what's wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
allie2931
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

I'm having a similar problem when I active adaptive cruise control it says frontal collision and acc not working. it sometimes works and other times it dose not work. any thoughts what's wrong?I'm having a similar problem when I active adaptive cruise control it says frontal collision and acc not working. it sometimes works and other times it dose not work. any thoughts what's wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I'm having a similar problem when I active adaptive cruise control it says frontal collision and acc not working. it sometimes works and other times it dose not work. any thoughts what's wrong?I'm having a similar problem when I active adaptive cruise control it says frontal collision and acc not working. it sometimes works and other times it dose not work. any thoughts what's wrong?I'm having a similar problem when I active adaptive cruise control it says frontal collision and acc not working. it sometimes works and other times it dose not work. any thoughts what's wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie2931 View Post
I'm having a similar problem when I active adaptive cruise control it says frontal collision and acc not working. it sometimes works and other times it dose not work. any thoughts what's wrong?
I'd say make sure your front sensors are clean, and that your license plate frame, if you have one, is not blocking the radar.
Appreciate 0