BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #177
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
So there it is - 355hp. I'm glad I was wrong, and they did get the higher output B58 ready after all. Surprised they are calling it an "M0" though since that was what the original 322hp version was called while the newer 335hp version goes by "O0". In any case, this bodes well for the G20 release next year. I'm sure the 740i and 540i will eventually get updated too (740i is still using the 322hp version, even).

Great looking SUV - best looking of the bunch compared to the Q5 and GLC in my opinion.
I was glad to see that many were wrong and that the G01 M40i will be at 355hp/369lbft. Looks are subjective but I would agree compared to the SQ5 and GLC43 AMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Just to go Apples to Oranges for a second, C&D tested a Macan S at 4.6 and a GTS at 4.4.

Of course BMW is just listing conservative estimates and the 40i should be quicker than 4.6.
That C&D test was notoriously inaccurate as they were confusing the Macan S/GTS/Turbo. No difference stated between TC on/off or if SC was even an option. Never seen a real world slip where a Macan S broke 5.0s 0-60. If you've seen one, please share it. Macan GTS stands at 4.6s with TC off and SC optioned and Macan T/PP at 4.4s/4.3s with TC off and SC optioned. Real world numbers will be interesting to see when people start getting their hands on an X3 M40i and running it on a track. Not saying the Macan isn't a better overall package, but heads up with price considered, it is going to be hard to top this M40i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
The only thing I don't like about the new X3 are the silver buttons throughout the interior. I hate the look of the shiny silver buttons and think it makes the interior look very cheap. I will reserve final judgement until I see it in person, but if they look anywhere near as bad as they do in the photos, it will cause me to write off the new X3 and pick up an SQ5 instead.
IMO, I found the interior of the 2018 SQ5 to be way too clunky when I sat in one and the connections at the door panels too busy. The Info/NAV screen was also too small and awkwardly placed...almost as an after thought. The previous generation interior was better. What I can not get past is that the rear exhaust is fake and just bits of cheap fake plastic chrome and black trim. But hey, opinions are that...opinions. Enjoy the SQ5. To each their own.

In this SAV class, BMW did us continuing X3 owners well. It feels like they really listened because many of the issues that plagued the F25 seem to have been resolved. The M40i will hang with a Macan GTS with little trouble and if everything pans out the way it's looking, the X3M will be a segment monster that will force a Macan Turbo S out of Porsche and give the Stelvio QV and the AMG 63S a run as well. I will reserve further judgment until I receive mine but I am glad I will be getting one. Great job BMW.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #178
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

This new X3 looks way better than the new gen Q5. Interior also looks so much better. Good job BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #179
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
Only the experience that comes with being a customer for years, could lead one to the conclusion that by not extending the dash trim all the way across in front of the passenger, that it is an obvious cost cutting measure.

It couldn't possibly be they just designed it that way.
Yes, it looks unfinished and plain in my eyes and I see it as a cost cutting measure. You don't see them making that mistake with the 7-series, 5-series, and X5. Plus the drivers lower dash storage that for years was felt and lined nicely so items would not rattle when placed in there. Another cost cutting measure.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 01:05 PM   #180
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
I was glad to see that many were wrong and that the G01 M40i will be at 355hp/369lbft.
Regarding our discussion in the past about the G02 X4 M40i, clearly it too will get nothing less than 355hp. At the same time, I think it's a very safe bet now that it will get no more than that either (i.e. same engine as the X3 M40i), meaning no bump from one generation to the next. However, maybe I'll end up being wrong about that too. But, once the true M models are unveiled in roughly a year or so with 100hp+ more, everyone will forget all about these M Performance models anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #181
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

C&D has detailed test sheets of both the S and GTS with straight and weather normalized times. Other domestic mags have also hit under 4.5s and 1/4 times within a tenth, as have countless posted time slips. The previous US Spec SQ5 has hit 4.9s, so a Macan isn't going to be slower than that.

C&D lists stability control off, with Comp mode on and Launch Control engaged for the GTS to get their 4.4s 0-60 with an amusingly slow 13.0 1/4 at 105. That's on the awful Michelin Latitudes. But regardless, the X3 should be close to or quicker than that. I was just answering what competition is available with similar acceleration under $70k. So there's the Macan, likely the new SQ5, and technically, the SRT GC.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #182
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Ok, let´s be real, the comparison with the Macan is a bit unjust, the Macan is based on the old Q5, and looking inside the Macan, it relieves old tech, one button for each feature - are you kidding me?
Not much premium or new tech, performance - sure.
But in real life, pretty much the only competitor for BMW G01 these days (in EU), is the new Q5 and partially the new Volvo XC60, the Jag is also hopeless dated inside. When the PHEV G01 comes, along side the X3M, it will be a very competitive line up, and the most complete amongst all brands imo. The BS about weak brand and BMW loosing it´s way, the truth is, they have never been in a better position than these days, don´t look back, look ahead.
:-)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #183
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
It's my opinion and I'm allowed to express how I and many others in the auto business for whom I work for feel.

Now calling me a kid, which I am not and assuming I have to go buy a used Bentley is pretty presumptuous of you and shows how much intelligence you have if bullying with words is your method.
Listen Floridian, you don't read sarcasm well through a computer screen, I get it.

Kids complain hence why I called you that and I put it in quotes because I know you are 45 plus years of age. I think BMW is not for you any more though. On a serious note, you should go shopping with other companies that suite your complaining, opps, I mean style. Good Luck Alpine.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #184
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
Listen Floridian, you don't read sarcasm well through a computer screen, I get it.

Kids complain hence why I called you that and I put it in quotes because I know you are 45 plus years of age. I think BMW is not for you any more though. On a serious note, you should go shopping with other companies that suite your complaining, opps, I mean style. Good Luck Alpine.
Alpine has a point. BMW has made a strategic decision over the last 10 years to change the brand. It is most evident in the driving dynamics of their cars (maybe much less so in their SUVs). There have been numerous articles written about the decline in steering quality and handling of each successive generation of 3er, 5er, and 7er--the heart and soul of the car line up. BMW now is all about technology, luxury, and style. How a car drives has become a lower priority.

BMW is now reaping what it sows. BMW car sales in the US are plummeting especially compared with their luxury counterparts. IF they continue down this path, BMW will only be known as a successful SUV company.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #185
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post

I am actually 38 and you sound like a child. In normal society one can express themselves without people like you making others feel otherwise. Take some anger management courses and learn to how have a healthy normal discussion without resorting to your antics.
Appreciate 1
scottomfg286.50
      06-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #186
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Alpine has a point. BMW has made a strategic decision over the last 10 years to change the brand. It is most evident in the driving dynamics of their cars (maybe much less so in their SUVs). There have been numerous articles written about the decline in steering quality and handling of each successive generation of 3er, 5er, and 7er--the heart and soul of the car line up. BMW now is all about technology, luxury, and style. How a car drives has become a lower priority.

BMW is now reaping what it sows. BMW car sales in the US are plummeting especially compared with their luxury counterparts. IF they continue down this path, BMW will only be known as a successful SUV company.
You must not drive your new BMWs hard enough then. I can get past the steering feel for now. I had older BMWs as well, so I understand.

But when these Cars/SUVs are pushed to the absolute limit, the performance speaks for itself. Especially with properly equipped tires, very important so you can squeeze and extra 10% of grip. I have a heavy 335 GT, 4300 lbs with my ass sitting in it. And I can still take turns that I normally wont in a Lexus rental, or Jag.

Not every new BMW will be as nimble as a 330ci was in 2001. Or feel as solid as a beautiful 2003 540i M-Sport edition. I get it, trust me.

The one thing I learned is adapting to change and adjusting your driving habits to remind you of a hint of the past. Like I said, drive your BMW at its limit and you will see what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #187
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am actually 38 and you sound like a child. In normal society one can express themselves without people like you making others feel otherwise. Take some anger management courses and learn to how have a healthy normal discussion without resorting to your antics.
- hurt
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #188
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post

Lux, You and many others, such as myself, feel the same way. Most people over time accept what's given to them without thinking for themselves and realizing that they're given less of a product from what made them become the best of the best.

Time will catch up to BMW and they'll either respond in a positive way by providing that "Ultimate Driving Machine" feeling once again, or they will continue down a path where other brands will continue to surpass them in the driving experience.

Honda went through something similar through the 2000's and now they have just recently started to make their cars again more in a direction for what Honda was known for mostly in the 90's.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #189
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
C&D has detailed test sheets of both the S and GTS with straight and weather normalized times. Other domestic mags have also hit under 4.5s and 1/4 times within a tenth, as have countless posted time slips. The previous US Spec SQ5 has hit 4.9s, so a Macan isn't going to be slower than that.

Yes it is...because currently...Macan<MacanS<SQ5<MacanGTS<MacanT<Macan PP

C&D lists stability control off, with Comp mode on and Launch Control engaged for the GTS to get their 4.4s 0-60 with an amusingly slow 13.0 1/4 at 105. That's on the awful Michelin Latitudes. But regardless, the X3 should be close to or quicker than that. I was just answering what competition is available with similar acceleration under $70k. So there's the Macan, likely the new SQ5, and technically, the SRT GC.
Sorry for the confusion. I think we agree that there is no way a Macan or a Macan S does 0-60 in 4.5s. That is GTS/T/PP territory. Current X4 M40i will run circles around a Macan/Macan S let alone the previous generation SQ5. Current F25 X3 35i can hang here respectfully in this bracket. Time will tell on the current SQ5 model. In any case, the new 2018 SQ5 out performs the Macan/Macan S and still sits under the current Macan GTS.

Performance wise, X3/X4 M40i will compete with Macan GTS/GLC43 AMG(C)/SQ5/M Levante/J FPaceS. The question here is: Can the M40i outperform the GTS?

Performance wise, X3M/X4M will compete with Macan Turbo(PP & S)/GLC63(S)AMG(C)/AR Stelvio QV/RSQ5/and yes...the upcoming Urus. Not including the Urus(lol), can the Stelvio QV take out the AMG63S before Porsche brings the S to market? We will know in September.

GC SRT and the GC Trackhawk are in X5 territory which is not in the same class even though the may fall in similar price ranges. The Trackhawk will most likely be close to the 100k range.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #190
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Lux, You and many others, such as myself, feel the same way. Most people over time accept what's given to them without thinking for themselves and realizing that they're given less of a product from what made them become the best of the best. ...
Perhaps it is time for us to step back a moment and take a deep breath. Passion about our vehicles is a great thing but it seems at times, especially on forums for some reason (not being face-to-face and being able to read others' expressions maybe?), gentle discourse and debate can become off-centered.

I do not wish to preach, but with that said, I must respectfully disagree with your assessment as to why some keep purchasing the X3, or a BMW in general. Trust when I say that I am not a blind loyalist when I make a vehicle purchase. It is one that is thoughtfully assessed. And I do have a few years on you (which honestly shouldn't even enter into the equation if valid points are made). And I have owned a host of BMWs and other major Mnfrs' offerings as well.

This X3 fits our family perfectly. Size, performance, cargo-load (which keeps getting skewed in the discussions - why does the Macan keep showing up in this cargo class, regardless of how well it performs it will never be on our radar screen as it can't carry what we need it to carry?), and cabin experience (with the discrepancies of past generations now being rectified).

So regardless of what the automotive industry perceives (rightly or wrongly) as a mis-guided direction from BMW Corporate, please understand they are making vehicles which some of us do like, wish to voluntarily purchase with full knowledge of other brands' offerings, and may actually know what they are doing is best for their families.

Apologies in advance for the length of this post, and best wishes in everyone's choices for a vehicle which fits their requirements moving forward.
Appreciate 4
kozzi927.00
mcc3456332.00
scottomfg286.50
      06-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #191
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Hey BMW, look, I get it, products like the X3 are the real money makers for the business. This new X3 design is great and it will probably sell like hotcakes. Even the outgoing X3, which is a few years old managed to outsell the more freshly designed vehicles, like the G-generation 7 and 5-Series. I understand business economics. However, this is still no excuse to not design an all-new engine for the F90 M5. Hell, if you would have designed a proper new ///M engine, be it a six-cylinder or V10 for the next F90 M5, it would probably not have impacted the bottom line of the company very much since you will be selling so many of these new X3's.

Sincerely,

Disappointed ///M Fan

P.S. I know there will be a bonafide X3///M in the future, please at least give that car the option for a Manual Transmission too!
Pretty sure noone wants to spend big money on combustion engines anymore. Electric-Hybrid powertrain for 2020+ generation cars is more likely a focus of RnD. So all this M worshipping falls on deaf ears im afraid.
      06-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #192
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Reveal of the G01 X3 at the Spartanburg plant on Monday:

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #193
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Reveal of the G01 X3 at the Spartanburg plant on Monday:

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #194
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
I agree that base will be around $51-52k for M40i based on the difference of current X3/X4 and X5/X6. BMW's new pricing strategy, at least in the US, will be to increase the price of higher level trim model relative to base model, and maximum profit margin with the ongoing declining sales volume.

If a customer wants the B58 in either the x-line or luxury line, they are stuck with the I4, otherwise they move up market into the X5. At least the current X5/X6 has a choice of M Sport Package or Luxury package with either 35i or 50i engine.
every time I see other bmw's as options for me and my family, I look at the pricing and say why wouldn't I just get an M2 or an M3/4? Even though wife needs SUV lol
      06-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #195
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Lux, You and many others, such as myself, feel the same way. Most people over time accept what's given to them without thinking for themselves and realizing that they're given less of a product from what made them become the best of the best. ...
Perhaps it is time for us to step back a moment and take a deep breath. Passion about our vehicles is a great thing but it seems at times, especially on forums for some reason (not being face-to-face and being able to read others' expressions maybe?), gentle discourse and debate can become off-centered.

I do not wish to preach, but with that said, I must respectfully disagree with your assessment as to why some keep purchasing the X3, or a BMW in general. Trust when I say that I am not a blind loyalist when I make a vehicle purchase. It is one that is thoughtfully assessed. And I do have a few years on you (which honestly shouldn't even enter into the equation if valid points are made). And I have owned a host of BMWs and other major Mnfrs' offerings as well.

This X3 fits our family perfectly. Size, performance, cargo-load (which keeps getting skewed in the discussions - why does the Macan keep showing up in this cargo class, regardless of how well it performs it will never be on our radar screen as it can't carry what we need it to carry?), and cabin experience (with the discrepancies of past generations now being rectified).

So regardless of what the automotive industry perceives (rightly or wrongly) as a mis-guided direction from BMW Corporate, please understand they are making vehicles which some of us do like, wish to voluntarily purchase with full knowledge of other brands' offerings, and may actually know what they are doing is best for their families.

Apologies in advance for the length of this post, and best wishes in everyone's choices for a vehicle which fits their requirements moving forward.
This is more of a BMW car problem than a BMW SUV problem. They seem to maintain sporty SUV driving dynamics relative to other manufacturers. The same can't be said for their car lineup. It is what it is. I'm happy BMW can make awesome SUVs but wish they could regain that edge in their cars.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      06-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #196
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
? X3M will compete with Alfa stelvio quad

Alfa doesn't have a direct comparison engine to M40i

E pace will be smaller than X3, F Pace is the competitor here.

Show me a SUV the same size (and cargo capacity) as the X3 with 0-60 times under 5.0 and under $70k. I would put money on the M40i hitting 4.4-4.5 when it's tested with launch control.
It is a nice vehicle, but will priced about $3-4k too high (too close to upcoming Stelvio Quad). That is the point. The X3M will likely be more expensive than the Alfa, just like the M3 vs Giulia QV.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #197
BALL3N
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330xi, 2019 X3 x30i

Garage List
2020 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
? X3M will compete with Alfa stelvio quad

Alfa doesn't have a direct comparison engine to M40i

E pace will be smaller than X3, F Pace is the competitor here.

Show me a SUV the same size (and cargo capacity) as the X3 with 0-60 times under 5.0 and under $70k. I would put money on the M40i hitting 4.4-4.5 when it's tested with launch control.
It is a nice vehicle, but will priced about $3-4k too high (too close to upcoming Stelvio Quad). That is the point. The X3M will likely be more expensive than the Alfa, just like the M3 vs Giulia QV.
Full disclosure-I sell BMW. That said, BMW reliability, resale and dealer network vs unknown reliability of newer Alpha Romeo reliability, resale and smaller dealer networks has thousands of dollars of value. I love Italian style and automotive history. I'm impressed with a number of things about the Alpha Romeos-I admired the style of a Giulia on the way to work today. It doesn't mean I'd sink money into one over a BMW on the open market were it not for my affiliation.

I've handled lots of ///M's, Euro Deliveries, PC Deliveries, Dual Deliveries, some Individual Orders, an M4 GTS, an M760xi.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 12:53 AM   #198
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
They grills are too big IMO. I'm so happy they finally cut the headlights exending into the grill look. That has been something that's needed to go for a while. There is something weird about the back too, mainly the taillights, but I'm sure it will grow on me. They put in an uber aggressive hoffmeister kink, if you can call it that, so the side profile is odd to me.

It disappoints me that it's not really any lighter but I guess that's due to the increased amount of tech on board. I don't like the interior navigation style, tablet jammed in the dash look, even though they're nice because of how large they are. I guess the benefit of this generation will be better usability with increased tech. It's unforunate but it doesn't really grab me like the prior generation did. Overall, seems similar to the updates we saw from the F10 to the G30.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0