BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-17-2022, 11:48 AM   #23
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 540i M-Sport Shadowline

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
When my dad passed, i took his phone with me - it has his iTunes music collection on it, that had also been the musical soundtrack of my life growing up. It’s been a great comfort to plug it in, play it on random, and feel I’m with him
Oh dang, man! I'm so sorry but what a treasure that you found. It's funny how songs can instantly bring back certain memories. For you, it's about your dad. That's a priceless treasure. A soundtrack to both your lives is an excellent way to explain it.

Damn onions are being cut somewhere again...
Appreciate 1
Darth One6612.50
      05-17-2022, 12:27 PM   #24
TJ@AUTOcouture
Private
Rep
Drives: Multiple

I think the decision to keep the car is a good one. Especially if its in that great of shape and you have a mechanic that isn't pushy and is reasonably priced. The maintenance he is suggesting is completely normal and definitely worth planning for. And like the other member mentioned above, definitely do the rear struts/shocks while you do the front.

When my father passed it was the day before my 16th birthday where I could finally drive with him and I had looked forward to it for so long because he is what got me into motorsports to begin with, starting with go-kart racing as a young child. He left me his 1989 Pontiac Formula 350 and like a dumbass teenager I totaled the thing going too fast around an off ramp within a couple months. What I wouldn't give to have that car back today....
Appreciate 2
Mr23779132.00
M8Bimmer1266.50
      05-17-2022, 12:45 PM   #25
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ@AUTOcouture View Post
I think the decision to keep the car is a good one. Especially if its in that great of shape and you have a mechanic that isn't pushy and is reasonably priced. The maintenance he is suggesting is completely normal and definitely worth planning for. And like the other member mentioned above, definitely do the rear struts/shocks while you do the front.
Agreed on all points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ@AUTOcouture View Post
When my father passed it was the day before my 16th birthday where I could finally drive with him and I had looked forward to it for so long because he is what got me into motorsports to begin with, starting with go-kart racing as a young child. He left me his 1989 Pontiac Formula 350 and like a dumbass teenager I totaled the thing going too fast around an off ramp within a couple months. What I wouldn't give to have that car back today....
Damn! I'm truly sorry. Turning 16, wanting to go driving with him, wanting to have your dad with you to share the experience, and him hooking you into motorsports leaves a gaping hole that can never be filled since he left too soon. My deepest condolences to you, sir. I can't even imagine!

And that car! Yes. I remember those very well and I know what you mean about wishing you had it now. Sometimes it amazes me how some of us made it through our teenage years even though we all did crazy stuff.

My very first car was a 1985 Chevy Camaro Z28. I got it my junior year in high school, drove the snot out of it, it went with me to college, and then I had to get rid of it soon after graduating. I miss that car because my father bought it for me as a gift. To this very day, I kid you not, I still dream about it. The dang thing meant just that much to me.

It's my hope that my "car dreams" will renew soon but this time I want it to be centered around dad's 528.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #26
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Sigh, so sorry for your loss. He looked amazing especially for 83 and seemed like a great guy. Unfortunately, some of us know what you're going through. It's a sad part of life.

Glad to hear you've decided to keep the car. You would've kicked yourself if you decided to sell. I know I still do when I was temporarily insane and sold my dad's guitars…no idea why I did it, even my bro said what the… and that I should've kept them. I'm still driving my BMW and it's only 2 years newer and it's my DD/only car(!). I dunno anything about your dad's car but you're in good hands w lots of knowledgeable ppl here.

Take care.
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      05-17-2022, 03:08 PM   #27
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Sigh, so sorry for your loss. He looked amazing especially for 83 and seemed like a great guy. Unfortunately, some of us know what you're going through. It's a sad part of life.
The continued generosity and kindness of complete strangers on this forum amazes me. Thank you for your kind words and thank you for taking the time to look at his obituary. Wow. I'm sort of speechless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Glad to hear you've decided to keep the car. You would've kicked yourself if you decided to sell. I know I still do when I was temporarily insane and sold my dad's guitars…no idea why I did it, even my bro said what the… and that I should've kept them. I'm still driving my BMW and it's only 2 years newer and it's my DD/only car(!). I dunno anything about your dad's car but you're in good hands w lots of knowledgeable ppl here.

Take care.
Indeed. The decision has been made! It must remain in the family and I may lean heavily on the shoulders of enthusiasts and drivers here on this forum from time to time for help. It sounds as if once the call goes out and the post is made, that I will have no shortage of people willing to help.

It's interesting you mentioned the guitar angle. I have sold my share over the years that I wish I hadn't. I dabble in the art of the guitar, consider myself a "bedroom player" (because I just do it for enjoyment and for myself), and have several Les Pauls, Strats, and Telecasters stashed away in various rooms but I would not hesitate to sell all of them at a moment's notice if it meant helping my mom out of a jam.

It doesn't sound as if I'll have to do that since dad was a genius with numbers, kept a tight budget, planned to make sure their future was secure, and that mom would never have to worry, but I think you know what I mean. For my mother, I would give up all my worldly possessions if it meant helping her.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 03:49 PM   #28
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

I didn't see in your Dad's obit this detail. But if you have him cremated maybe you can hang some of his ashes in there around the mirror in a nice locket.
That way he'd be right between you and your Mom when you go out in the car.
Take Dad along for the ride sorta thing.
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      05-17-2022, 03:52 PM   #29
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
I didn't see in your Dad's obit this detail. But if you have him cremated maybe you can hang some of his ashes in there around the mirror in a nice locket.
That way he'd be right between you and your Mom when you go out in the car.
Take Dad along for the ride sorta thing.

That would be a great idea! What a hoot. However, he's being buried. He purchased plots for both of them a very long time ago, pre-paid for everything in advance, the tombstone is already in place, etc.

All that's left is the graveside service, internment, and they'll mark the tombstone with the date of his death.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 04:09 PM   #30
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr23779 View Post
Thank you, sir! I was definitely not ready for this and would give anything for just 1 more minute of clarity with him.

Agreed. I've made the decision to keep his car and even though people give me strange looks, I'm still going to talk to dad while I'm driving it. Others will just have to figure I've either completely lost my mind or they'll have to get over it.

What a small world! I was born in Corpus Christi in '69 and we moved into The Woodlands in '75. I spent my entire childhood and young adult life there. Went through all the schools from elementary through high school before moving away to attend college. Once I was done with college, I got married and we moved near mom and dad (still in The Woodlands), but around 2008 we moved into Spring (still on the Montgomery County side of the creek, thank God!)

We live in the Spring Trails/Harmony/Bender's Landing area here where Riley Fuzzel and the Grand Parkway 99 toll road intersect. As a kid, I remember when Riley Fuzzel was a two lane country road in the middle of nowhere and we could hunt by the creek! Not anymore. You wouldn't recognize the area if you saw it today.
I definitely understand, no one will ever be ready for anything like that.

Glad you decided to keep the car too! The legend lives on

Small world indeed! My dad was born in the Heights but finished high school out in Spring (went to Klein High) and we ended up moving back to the area when I was 5 and they're still there to this day. I went to Klein as well and grew up in the Louetta/Champion Forest/249 area. The Woodlands has changed a LOT even since I was back in high school (graduated in 2003). So has Spring though I guess. When my dad graduated Klein, it was in a field. When I graduated it had about 9 buildings and 4,000 students
      05-17-2022, 04:14 PM   #31
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
That would be a great idea! What a hoot. However, he's being buried. He purchased plots for both of them a very long time ago, pre-paid for everything in advance, the tombstone is already in place, etc.

All that's left is the graveside service, internment, and they'll mark the tombstone with the date of his death.
Lock of hair maybe?
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      05-17-2022, 04:18 PM   #32
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Lock of hair maybe?

I found a comb of his in the middle console compartment. I'll leave it there! It definitely still has his DNA on it.

Excellent idea!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #33
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
I found a comb of his in the middle console compartment. I'll leave it there! It definitely still has his DNA on it.

Excellent idea!
Ask for a few locks of his hair. They do that. I got a few of my Son. Gotta do it while you can of course. Your mom might like a lock in an envelope. My Mom did. You could also set some in Acrylic and make a small plack or hanging acrylic lobe with his hair inside.
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      05-17-2022, 04:34 PM   #34
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Ask for a few locks of his hair. They do that. I got a few of my Son. Gotta do it while you can of course. Your mom might like a lock in an envelope. My Mom did. You could also set some in Acrylic and make a small plack or hanging acrylic lobe with his hair inside.

I just sent a text to mom with your idea. She thought it was wonderful and is going to contact the funeral home to collect a small lock of hair. I told her it was your idea and about maybe putting it in acrylic one day.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #35
M8Bimmer
Rep

I don't have much "artsy" in me but I'm sure some artist type person could make a few nice things with his hair visible in them.
I'm sure somewhere out there somebody who does for a business. Maybe google around to see the possibilities.
Maybe your Mom could have a nice thing for her table in the sunlight somehow.
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      05-17-2022, 04:46 PM   #36
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
She also asked that they take his fingerprint so that she can send it off to have either some earrings or a necklace in the shape of a heart imprinted with his fingerprint. The funeral home told mom they'd handle all of that for her! Wow
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #37
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Keep the car, keep an eye on the maintenance.

BMWs of a certain vintage leak oil, it's sort of a fact of life, so the OPG is probably something that could be done soon - I'd factor it in with the next scheduled oil change unless it's bad.

Front struts, I guess the mechanic is insinuating there's misting/first signs of wear on them, which figures for the mileage. I'd be surprised if they were in any dire need of replacement right now, but surely will sometime in the next 20k miles.

I guess my question would be; do you want to keep it immaculate, or just keep it good? The former to me means doing things before they become an issue, where the latter means doing them on time when they become an issue. Neither is wrong, but that's how I'd frame it in my mind.

Enjoy the car
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      05-17-2022, 05:53 PM   #38
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Keep the car, keep an eye on the maintenance.

BMWs of a certain vintage leak oil, it's sort of a fact of life, so the OPG is probably something that could be done soon - I'd factor it in with the next scheduled oil change unless it's bad.
Roger that, sir!

Quote:
Front struts, I guess the mechanic is insinuating there's misting/first signs of wear on them, which figures for the mileage. I'd be surprised if they were in any dire need of replacement right now, but surely will sometime in the next 20k miles.
Exactly how he phrased it. He wasn't concerned in the least at getting it done and for as little as I'll drive it (I'm retired with nowhere to go!), he said it was just something to keep an eye on for now.

Quote:
I guess my question would be; do you want to keep it immaculate, or just keep it good? The former to me means doing things before they become an issue, where the latter means doing them on time when they become an issue. Neither is wrong, but that's how I'd frame it in my mind.

Enjoy the car
I'm going to keep the car exactly as my father kept it - immaculate! He took care of issues WAY before they became a concern. I will do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 08:49 PM   #39
Rono63
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Sorry for your loss.

I see the memorial service is on the 21st. I lost my mother two years ago on the 21st. It's still hard and I miss her every day.

It's so fortunate that you will have something that your father cared deeply for that you can keep in your life.

I hope you will be able to spend time in the car with your mother to enjoy all the memories of your father.
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00
      05-17-2022, 09:02 PM   #40
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono63 View Post
Sorry for your loss.

I see the memorial service is on the 21st. I lost my mother two years ago on the 21st. It's still hard and I miss her every day.

It's so fortunate that you will have something that your father cared deeply for that you can keep in your life.

I hope you will be able to spend time in the car with your mother to enjoy all the memories of your father.

I picked my mom up with the car yesterday, we swung by our church, spoke with the pastors to shore up the details for the service, and then drove back to her house to eat.

I'm also terribly sorry for your loss!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #41
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Dad's car. Photos were taken this morning after I ran it through a quick wash. (Please disregard my mother-in-law's SUV in the background!)

Appreciate 7
FCX52380.50
Mavus2027.50
F30lolz6798.50
nyalpine907431.00
      05-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #42
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

You made the right decision to not sell the car. A car itself is just a commodity, but then it contains memories that are priceless. In this case, there is a finality to it, that cannot be replaced no matter what. It can bring you joy that no amount of money can. If it were me, I'd restore it if it were in bad shape. But looks like you lucked out with a really nice one. As others have said, it's one of the best classic BMW designs IMHO.

The only regret will be selling it…not worth selling. IMHO.
Appreciate 2
Mr23779132.00
Jenya B144.00
      05-18-2022, 12:13 PM   #43
Mr23779
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2023 540i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
You made the right decision to not sell the car. A car itself is just a commodity, but then it contains memories that are priceless. In this case, there is a finality to it, that cannot be replaced no matter what. It can bring you joy that no amount of money can. If it were me, I'd restore it if it were in bad shape. But looks like you lucked out with a really nice one. As others have said, it's one of the best classic BMW designs IMHO.

The only regret will be selling it…not worth selling. IMHO.

Agreed. This was dad's garage queen. His pride and joy. The interior is immaculate. Leather still smells new. I can smell my father in it, too. Normal small nicks and dings on the front end from rocks and debris from the road, otherwise there's no other damage anywhere.
Appreciate 2
FCX52380.50
M8Bimmer1266.50
      05-18-2022, 09:44 PM   #44
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

The car looks beautiful. Elegant and classy. Just keep it the way your dad would that is the best way. Hang in there.
__________________________________________________ _________________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
Appreciate 1
Mr23779132.00