BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
coolspot
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

X3 Camera Diagnosis Charge - $199 CAD?

Brought a car into service in a Toronto area dealership... was asked to bring it back a few weeks later to do a full car scan due to funkiness with the rear camera. Upon showing up for the second appointment was hit with a $199 Camera Diagnosis charge. Is this the new normal with BMW? None of these charges were disclosed upfront and I was told to bring it back because my first appointment found error codes. I had to escalate to the service manager and make a minor scene to get the charge waived - sheesh not a good experience with a new car (first major service).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
IslandDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Totally dependant on the service manager from my experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
XxDanoxX
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot View Post
Brought a car into service in a Toronto area dealership... was asked to bring it back a few weeks later to do a full car scan due to funkiness with the rear camera. Upon showing up for the second appointment was hit with a $199 Camera Diagnosis charge. Is this the new normal with BMW? None of these charges were disclosed upfront and I was told to bring it back because my first appointment found error codes. I had to escalate to the service manager and make a minor scene to get the charge waived - sheesh not a good experience with a new car (first major service).
Sounds like vehicle warranty all the way for me! Dealership in the wrong.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      10-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
coolspot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDanoxX View Post
Sounds like vehicle warranty all the way for me! Dealership in the wrong.
My thinking exactly - they said some people brought in cars with damaged cameras and thus need to charge them for diagnostics. What’s disappointing is that they scheduled the appointment and the same service advisor didn’t even look at my file to remind himself why I’m bring the car in... like I said they scheduled the appointment because they ran out of time last service. The service manager was very gracious nevertheless disappointing. We bought three cars from this dealership at once last year!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:14 AM   #5
XxDanoxX
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
My thinking exactly - they said some people brought in cars with damaged cameras and thus need to charge them for diagnostics. What’s disappointing is that they scheduled the appointment and the same service advisor didn’t even look at my file to remind himself why I’m bring the car in... like I said they scheduled the appointment because they ran out of time last service. The service manager was very gracious nevertheless disappointing. We bought three cars from this dealership at once last year!
I noticed service from main dealers has dipped lately. There was a time your car got washed and hoovered before being returned if in for a service.

Mine doesn't do that anymore - they want paying! Honda still do as a matter of course!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:36 AM   #6
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDanoxX View Post
Quote:
My thinking exactly - they said some people brought in cars with damaged cameras and thus need to charge them for diagnostics. What's disappointing is that they scheduled the appointment and the same service advisor didn't even look at my file to remind himself why I'm bring the car in... like I said they scheduled the appointment because they ran out of time last service. The service manager was very gracious nevertheless disappointing. We bought three cars from this dealership at once last year!
I noticed service from main dealers has dipped lately. There was a time your car got washed and hoovered before being returned if in for a service.

Mine doesn't do that anymore - they want paying! Honda still do as a matter of course!
The idea of a dealer washing my car is enough to cause a coronary. They either use an automatic car wash, or hand wash en mass.

Both equal swirls and scratches! Mine has a large do not wash sign
Appreciate 1
XxDanoxX126.00
      10-29-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Hey coolspot is this a new vehicle? And what dealer was this?
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #8
coolspot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Yeah new car, just under a year old, only has 7,000km.

Probably best not to name the dealership since the service manager did resolve the issue but the dealership is located North of Toronto in the GTA suburbs.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I am surprised they don't require you to sign something before doing any work on the car, which there should have been bc disclosure of any costs. I always have to sign, even it's its recall or even regular service.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #10
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
The idea of a dealer washing my car is enough to cause a coronary. They either use an automatic car wash, or hand wash en mass.

I would think that most cars are washed by the dealer before handing off to a customer, especially if the car was stored uncovered with the protective covers off? My dealer offers free weekly washes and it is their own hand wash. Thankfully never had any issues!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #11
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah new car, just under a year old, only has 7,000km.

Probably best not to name the dealership since the service manager did resolve the issue but the dealership is located North of Toronto in the GTA suburbs.
Ok I know who the dealer is, but in any event, where the heck do they get the nerve to charge you even a cent on a warrantied vehicle. I get the SM resolved your issue in the end, but wanting to charge you ANYTHING in the first place is ridiculous.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #12
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post

I would think that most cars are washed by the dealer before handing off to a customer, especially if the car was stored uncovered with the protective covers off? My dealer offers free weekly washes and it is their own hand wash. Thankfully never had any issues!
Mine was done by a professional retailer
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #13
shrinivaskk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2020

Quote:
Ok I know who the dealer is, but in any event, where the heck do they get the nerve to charge you even a cent on a warrantied vehicle. I get the SM resolved your issue in the end, but wanting to charge you ANYTHING in the first place is ridiculous.
This is crazy man !
I will be going in for my first service for my X3 2020 (15K) in couple of weeks at the dealership in West of GTA (considered to be kinda rich people's paradise and hence the attitude of dealership).

Not sure, if I'm expecting any hidden charges...

Any signs of caution I need to keep looking for?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #14
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinivaskk View Post
Quote:
This is crazy man !
I will be going in for my first service for my X3 2020 (15K) in couple of weeks at the dealership in West of GTA (considered to be kinda rich people's paradise and hence the attitude of dealership).

Not sure, if I'm expecting any hidden charges...

Any signs of caution I need to keep looking for?
There should be zero charges, car is under warranty
Appreciate 0