BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M40i

Question Windshield replacement BMW vs local shop

Hey Folks,

I've had a pretty epic crack in my windshield since a month or so after I bought the vehicle. I'm slowly looking into getting it replaced and trying to understand how this all works if a person goes through insurance (Alberta, Canada).

BMW: $2153 for the windshield, top and bottom moulding + $360 install + shop supplies = call it $2500.

Windshield Surgeons (local shop) : can get it for $910 installed which accounts for the heads-up display, rain sensors, lane departure etc. The only oddity the gal suggested was that the forward collisions/lane departure camera would need to be re calibrated and that price would be on top. Call it $1200.

I've never had a windshield replaced in my life, let alone done so via insurance, so I have some questions for those who have been through this on their X3 or a previous vehicle.
  1. Is there any reason not to trust a local reputable glass/windshield shop to obtain all the correct or necessary parts (e.g. they didn't mention the top/bottom moldings)?
  2. BMW never mentioned the camera bit or needing to re calibrate it
  3. Folks at the local shop suggested that insurance gives the price of the windshield based on a national average that they provide to the local shop. If that price is less than their cost, they'll sometimes return some of that thus saving me some of my deductible. This sounds nice...otherwise I'd probably just live with the crack a while longer. Can anyone weigh in on how this works?

Thanks,
Scott
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
I don't see a reason why you couldn't necessarily trust a local shop versus the dealership but I'd want to make sure the local shop quoted you as using OEM glass instead of aftermarket glass when comparing prices.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00
      04-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I don't see a reason why you couldn't necessarily trust a local shop versus the dealership but I'd want to make sure the local shop quoted you as using OEM glass instead of aftermarket glass when comparing prices.
Valid point on the OEM, although, what would be your concern? I haven't read much positive about how 'soft' the glass is, but i suppose the various sensors, heads-up display, etc and how well they'd work would be reason to stick OEM.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Valid point on the OEM, although, what would be your concern? I haven't read much positive about how 'soft' the glass is, but i suppose the various sensors, heads-up display, etc and how well they'd work would be reason to stick OEM.
I had to replace mine on my now sold 2015 x3. I went OEM but didn't do it at the dealer. Went to Apple Auto Glass. Bit cheaper than the dealer. My worry was the rain sensor and HUD.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #5
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
I had to replace mine on my now sold 2015 x3. I went OEM but didn't do it at the dealer. Went to Apple Auto Glass. Bit cheaper than the dealer. My worry was the rain sensor and HUD.
How'd it work out in the end with the rain sensor & HUD?

After learning a bit about OEM vs some other stuff, and since insurance is paying regardless, I'm inclined to do this at BMW, but appreciate still learning the ins and outs of this process.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
How'd it work out in the end with the rain sensor & HUD?

After learning a bit about OEM vs some other stuff, and since insurance is paying regardless, I'm inclined to do this at BMW, but appreciate still learning the ins and outs of this process.
Worked out great, no complaints. I skipped the dealer install because it was ~$150 cheaper at Apple including installation. Insurance did cover it, so truthfully not too sure why I chose to save THEM the $$ lol...if I had to do it again, I'd probably let the dealer do it, but not because Apple did a crappy job. Hope that helps
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
Scottatah139.00
      04-01-2019, 11:28 PM   #7
GregM4
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: VERDE ERMES G82 M4 Xdrive

Letting people know that some models of BMW use a coating or laminate in their windscreens to focus the headsup disply correctly.

Some after market windscreens, even though recommended may not work.

Just saw this on a friends M4 - insurance coming put in a so-called approved one, but not genuine part, and the headsup was out of focus. BMW confirmed this as well.

Not sure about the X3 though.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 01:23 AM   #8
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Hey Folks,

I've had a pretty epic crack in my windshield since a month or so after I bought the vehicle. I'm slowly looking into getting it replaced and trying to understand how this all works if a person goes through insurance (Alberta, Canada).

BMW: $2153 for the windshield, top and bottom moulding + $360 install + shop supplies = call it $2500.

Windshield Surgeons (local shop) : can get it for $910 installed which accounts for the heads-up display, rain sensors, lane departure etc. The only oddity the gal suggested was that the forward collisions/lane departure camera would need to be re calibrated and that price would be on top. Call it $1200.

I've never had a windshield replaced in my life, let alone done so via insurance, so I have some questions for those who have been through this on their X3 or a previous vehicle.
  1. Is there any reason not to trust a local reputable glass/windshield shop to obtain all the correct or necessary parts (e.g. they didn't mention the top/bottom moldings)?
  2. BMW never mentioned the camera bit or needing to re calibrate it
  3. Folks at the local shop suggested that insurance gives the price of the windshield based on a national average that they provide to the local shop. If that price is less than their cost, they'll sometimes return some of that thus saving me some of my deductible. This sounds nice...otherwise I'd probably just live with the crack a while longer. Can anyone weigh in on how this works?

Thanks,
Scott
BMW always recalibrate cameras after play with windshield. If doing it elsewhere, make sure those guys know how to do that.
      04-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

The dealership will just outsource the fitting anyway, so go with a decent local shop, but make sure they use OEM BMW stamped screen, a lot of fitting companies will swear that the aftermarket ones are made by the same factory to the same spec, but that almost always not the case, and BMW will likely not cover any warranty claims on the cameras, HUD etc. if you fit non OEM screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #10
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

We just had the glass on the X replaced by the dealership at no cost to us (no deductible). Suspicious how the glass took, what appeared to be a minimal impact, but cracked 2 feet in opposing directions. My husband filed the claim and requested OEM glass and it was approved over the phone. Dealer indicated that aftermarket glass was fine with the exception of the HUD which some people complained about double vision (His words, not mine). Dropped it off last Tuesday and picked it back up on Friday the same week. Everything came out perfect and even got a S/W update.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
We just had the glass on the X replaced by the dealership at no cost to us (no deductible). Suspicious how the glass took, what appeared to be a minimal impact, but cracked 2 feet in opposing directions. My husband filed the claim and requested OEM glass and it was approved over the phone. Dealer indicated that aftermarket glass was fine with the exception of the HUD which some people complained about double vision (His words, not mine). Dropped it off last Tuesday and picked it back up on Friday the same week. Everything came out perfect and even got a S/W update.
4 days for a windshield change? Or you just don't have time to pick it up earlier? I've got it sorted out in one day.
      04-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Yes, 4 days. Picked up vehicle as soon as it was available. They (allegedly) did have to order the windshield so not sure if this extended the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
4 days for a windshield change? Or you just don't have time to pick it up earlier? I've got it sorted out in one day.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #13
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 & 2018 X2

I had mine replaced several weeks after I bought it. Picked up a small stone that resulted in a crack across the windshield in the centre of my line of sight.

I checked with several local shops and at the time, they were unable to calibrate the lane departure warning and other safety features that are run through the unit mounted on the windshield. I ended up going to the dealership and putting it through my insurance so it cost me $250 at the end of the day. My advice is to go the dealer if you are going through insurance. The difference is not worth the risk of having problems with HUD and rain sensors.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 02:24 AM   #14
DHA-uk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

on my previous car (F80) I had to replace the screen before I ended the lease. Autoglass (large UK company) replaced it and recalibrated the HUD. However it was never as sharp in focus as the OEM screen was. Next time I will go to BMW and get them to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #15
Battin4th
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

I guess I'm going down this road too. This happened this morning even after moving over two lanes to avoid a dump truck being in front of me.

Wasn't even a loud tick when the rock hit but saw the star immediately. After getting to work, it already looked like this.

Not happy. Less about the cost since I have insurance but don't like anyone monkeying with my month-old car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #16
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

My 2018 cracked with less than 500 miles.

$1600 to replace. Mine cost was $50.

I said I wanted Oem. My insurance said that they have to replace with OEM if it is still in the model year.

It looks OEM and is marked OEM and the price sheet stated it was OEM. Must be!

Paul
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 10:07 PM   #17
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Lucky me... I’m in the replacement windshield club. 2 rock chips fixed in the last 3 months, this third chip did me in with a large crack.

Off to the dealer for replacement.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #18
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I joined the club too

My insurance has full glass coverage but they provide services through Safelite. At first I wanted to have my windshield replaced by the BMW dealer but the dealer didn't want to cooperate by calling to get approval for what the insurance would pay so I would know ahead of time if I would end up with any out of pocket costs. So a few more calls and I have Safelite coming to my home in two days and they will replace my windshield with BMW OEM glass and do the recalibrations necessary for the lane departure, heads up display and rain sensing wipers.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #19
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Interesting post - I have a 2017 328d touring with head up display and it was cracked badly from a stone hitting it on the highway. I went to Speedy Glass here in Ontario (I’m in Canada) and my insurance would not cover OEM but Speedy assured me the non-OEM was made in the same factory as the OEM and would work properly with the HUD and cameras / sensors. It was going to be $550 more for the BMW stamped windshield so I decided to go with the non-OEM knowing that if it wasn’t working correctly, I’d raise hell. The windshield was replaced this morning - it is a Pilkington shield and looks identical in every way to the broken one (absent the little BMW logo). It will be going into BMW for calibration of the cameras and whatever sensors that need recalibration - this cost is covered by the insurance claim. I can also report that the HUD image is unchanged from the original windshield - crystal clear and no ghosting or other issues. Pretty pleased I went with ‘aftermarket’ and kept $550 in my pocket. Hope this helps others in their decision making.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #20
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The dealership will just outsource the fitting anyway,
Not always. freshxdough here is a BMW Master Tech, and works at one of the US' largest dealerships - and does their windshield replacement work personally. Perhaps he'll be along to comment.

My closest BMW dealer, in Spokane WA (Lithia affiliation), also does their own windshield replacement. I had them do two on the 550xi, and both times required having the car set undisturbed overnight while the sealant cured.
      02-04-2021, 11:35 PM   #21
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variante Alta View Post
Interesting post - I have a 2017 328d touring with head up display and it was cracked badly from a stone hitting it on the highway. I went to Speedy Glass here in Ontario (I’m in Canada) and my insurance would not cover OEM but Speedy assured me the non-OEM was made in the same factory as the OEM and would work properly with the HUD and cameras / sensors. It was going to be $550 more for the BMW stamped windshield so I decided to go with the non-OEM knowing that if it wasn’t working correctly, I’d raise hell. The windshield was replaced this morning - it is a Pilkington shield and looks identical in every way to the broken one (absent the little BMW logo). It will be going into BMW for calibration of the cameras and whatever sensors that need recalibration - this cost is covered by the insurance claim. I can also report that the HUD image is unchanged from the original windshield - crystal clear and no ghosting or other issues. Pretty pleased I went with ‘aftermarket’ and kept $550 in my pocket. Hope this helps others in their decision making.
Concur also went after,Arlen I believe from speedy though they did the calibrations for me too. No issues.

I did separate my glass insurance from my auto insurance policy through a third party so I don’t have a $500 deductible nor will my insurance increase due to claims. Haven’t made use of it yet though.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #22
keithguido
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3M40 1984 911 TARGA

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40  [10.00]
Just replaced with Safelite using OEM BMW windshield. $600 for aftermarket and $1,200 for BMW item. All done via Farmers insurance. Had to insist on OEM and found out Safelite insisted on using OEM also due to HUD and rain sensing wipers. She had front windshield tinted so now another $100 for tint.
Appreciate 0