BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
SimplySpoons
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F25 X3 xLine

Getting flashed for LED headlights

I'm a few months into ownership of my X3 with the Adaptive LEDs, and I've noticed that even with only my lowbeams on, people consistently flash me. I used to get flashed while using the adaptive highbeams, so I was thinking that they weren't angling themselves enough in order to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, so I stopped using them. However, people still flash me while just the lowbeams are on

Has anybody else noticed this with their LED lights?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
I've haven't been flashed once since we've had the adaptive LEDs but, on the odd occasion I've seen another BMW with them coming towards me, I've though 'wow!, they're bright' - not dazzling, just much brighter/whiter than normal halogens or Xenons

So, assuming that your self-leveling system is working properly, perhaps people are just seeing very bright headlights coming towards them, making the assumption that you're on full beam and flashing in the expectation that they're about to get dazzled...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
lovebimmers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35I

Wish I had that issue. But too bad 2014 x3 didn't come with led option, only xenons

Would love the hot lady's to flash me while driving. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #4
gullyg
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

You've not set it to the wrong side of the road have you? In the vehicle settings there's an option to set them for going to countries where they drive on the opposite side.

I drove about for a couple of days after fiddling like a plonker. I got flashed loads, as soon as I put it back I've not been flashed since.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySpoons View Post
I'm a few months into ownership of my X3 with the Adaptive LEDs, and I've noticed that even with only my lowbeams on, people consistently flash me. I used to get flashed while using the adaptive highbeams, so I was thinking that they weren't angling themselves enough in order to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, so I stopped using them. However, people still flash me while just the lowbeams are on

Has anybody else noticed this with their LED lights?
Have you coded anything like NGHB for your LED lights? Only time I've gotten flashed is when I've been stopped at a light/stop sign on an incline and the car opposite of me is lower. When this happens, I just flash em back with the high beams and then they shut up..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
SimplySpoons
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F25 X3 xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullyg View Post
You've not set it to the wrong side of the road have you? In the vehicle settings there's an option to set them for going to countries where they drive on the opposite side.

I drove about for a couple of days after fiddling like a plonker. I got flashed loads, as soon as I put it back I've not been flashed since.
This car is the US variant that doesn't come with the auto-angling feature enabled from the factory, so it was enabled via coding. Would that setting still be available within iDrive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Have you coded anything like NGHB for your LED lights? Only time I've gotten flashed is when I've been stopped at a light/stop sign on an incline and the car opposite of me is lower. When this happens, I just flash em back with the high beams and then they shut up..
Excuse my ignorance, but what does "NGHB" stand for? The headlights were coded in order to enable the full adaptive functionalities, as opposed to just the simple auto on/off whenever an oncoming car approaches
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
This car is the US variant that doesn't come with the auto-angling feature enabled from the factory, so it was enabled via coding. Would that setting still be available within iDrive?

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "NGHB" stand for? The headlights were coded in order to enable the full adaptive functionalities, as opposed to just the simple auto on/off whenever an oncoming car approaches

I'm no sure what you mean by "auto-angling." If you said it was coded, I assume NGHB (No Glare High Beam) was enabled where the headlights can maintain a high beam without glaring a vehicle in front of you. Watch the youtube link from here: https://goo.gl/images/k6xxP6

If this is what you have enabled via coding, its very possible that it was not coded correctly if you are getting flashed. The correct way to code them is detailed in this document:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...uXjXShi8Xysvxw

I would follow up with the person who coded it for you and show them this manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 04:20 AM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
I'm no sure what you mean by "auto-angling." If you said it was coded, I assume NGHB (No Glare High Beam) was enabled where the headlights can maintain a high beam without glaring a vehicle in front of you. Watch the youtube link from here: https://goo.gl/images/k6xxP6

If this is what you have enabled via coding, its very possible that it was not coded correctly if you are getting flashed. The correct way to code them is detailed in this document:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...uXjXShi8Xysvxw

I would follow up with the person who coded it for you and show them this manual.
I have fixed dozens of vehicles that were coded incorrectly for No-Glare high beams. You should not be flashed ever.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
is it possible to do swap from Xenon to LED headlights?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #10
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
is it possible to do swap from Xenon to LED headlights?
Anything is possible. It just depends on skills and finances.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #11
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Anything is possible. It just depends on skills and finances.

does it require coding??
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:

does it require coding??
Yes, it would require coding.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #13
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Yes, it would require coding.
thats would be hardest part on my end

headlights can be easily purchase
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #14
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
thats would be hardest part on my end

headlights can be easily purchase
Any factory option just requires VO coding. It should be the easy part.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907384.50