BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-25-2023, 08:41 AM   #45
fersho
Rep
Drives: 2017 740i

Hi All, on the original post "Reduced Driver Assistance" waning came up like 5 times in the last 2 months " I got the same issue with my 740i G12. This is how I diagnosed and fixed it.

1) Ran BMW ISTA+ diagnostic specific to the steering wheel Vibrator Motor and the basic test failed

2) Disassemble the steering wheel https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nH6Q95mASzk

3) Replaced Motor: BMW STEERING WHEEL VIBRO MOTOR LANE DEPARTURE WARNING OEM 6874085

Issue Fixed!!

Last edited by fersho; 02-25-2023 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 2
abbike18704.00
deladude266.00
      02-25-2023, 11:05 PM   #46
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
Update: BMW is replacing my ENTIRE windshield. Per PabstBleuRibbon BMW does not have a separate part number for the KAFAS camera/mount.
This mount is part of the windshield as a whole unit? This is bit scary, despite uncommon occurrence.
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2023, 11:40 PM   #47
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
This mount is part of the windshield as a whole unit? This is bit scary, despite uncommon occurrence.
The mount comes attached with the windshield. When I had mine replaced by Safelite last August they had to reject 2 OEM replacements because the mount was broken. On the third OEM replacement they showed me the part that was broken on the other two. There isn't really anything protecting it during transport, and can easily be damaged.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 11:50 AM   #48
santibtmlaw
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

ISSUE RESOLVED (Driver Assistance Support Reduced)

I had the same issue, which they were able to resolve by replacing the steering wheel vibration motor.

This was an ongoing issue since I owned the car. I would get the following warnings: "Driver Assistance Support Reduced"; "CC MSG Active Blind Spot Detection"; "CC MSG Lane Departure Warning"; and "CC MSG Side Collision Warning." All the systems would turn off. I took the car in for this issue six times. They would connect the car and say there was no code related to the reduced driver assist notification. They would drive the car but were unable to replicate it to verify it because the notification would go away once the car was turned off. They attempted to remedy the problem by resetting the system. However, that did not fix the issue as the systems were shutting off much more frequently. One morning on my way to work, the systems shut off, so I called the dealer and took the car in with the warning lights on. This time they could not say it was dirty sensors, the sun, or rain. My service adviser texted me and said they had found the issue with the warning light.
Issue resolved: The vehicle requires a new steering vibration motor.

I never had an issue with the steering wheel as it would still vibrate, but I guess it was faulty and not working properly. They replaced it, and I've had no issue or warning since they replaced it. I hope this helps someone else.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 04:02 PM   #49
Fizzius
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 X3m40i, 16 340xi (retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santibtmlaw View Post
I had the same issue, which they were able to resolve by replacing the steering wheel vibration motor.

This was an ongoing issue since I owned the car. I would get the following warnings: "Driver Assistance Support Reduced"; "CC MSG Active Blind Spot Detection"; "CC MSG Lane Departure Warning"; and "CC MSG Side Collision Warning." All the systems would turn off. I took the car in for this issue six times. They would connect the car and say there was no code related to the reduced driver assist notification. They would drive the car but were unable to replicate it to verify it because the notification would go away once the car was turned off. They attempted to remedy the problem by resetting the system. However, that did not fix the issue as the systems were shutting off much more frequently. One morning on my way to work, the systems shut off, so I called the dealer and took the car in with the warning lights on. This time they could not say it was dirty sensors, the sun, or rain. My service adviser texted me and said they had found the issue with the warning light.
Issue resolved: The vehicle requires a new steering vibration motor.

I never had an issue with the steering wheel as it would still vibrate, but I guess it was faulty and not working properly. They replaced it, and I've had no issue or warning since they replaced it. I hope this helps someone else.

So recently purchased a 2018 x3M40i and drove it for over 500 miles after the purchase (including test drive) without issue. On the third day of owning, randomly had the "Reduced Drivers Assistance" pop-up while my gf and I were running errands. It went away when we stopped and turned the car off and didn't find anything on my BlueDriver scan tool when I attempted to pull codes. After that was fine for a few days and then during some decent rain I had it pop-up again. I contacted the BMW dealership I purchased from as this would fall under their 60-day limited warranty, even sent the salesman a pic of the notification screen.

He talks with his technician and conclude that "something must have been blocking one of the sensors" so to ensure that all sensors and cameras as clear of debris and whatnot. Did that and it was fine for a few days again and then it pops up yet again. At this time I do some research and come across this thread, and a few others elsewhere, pointing to the "Steering Wheel Vibration Actuator Motor" being the culprit but it is a tough nut to replicate because there is no code history for "white letter" codes apparently in the system.

Go another week or so to this morning when I took the chance early to run to the DMV to get the VIN Inspection done and it pops up again (on way out AND on the way home). Luckily I get a hold of my manager and clear some time in my schedule to run to the nearest dealership (not one I purchased from because that one is 4 states away), call the dealership to let them know the issue and I am headed to them and literally have to guard the drivers door as 3 different technicians came to "take the car" before the service manager got there and tried to shut it off (which clears the codes).

Finally get talking with the service manager and the shop foreman, they scan while I am there and sure as shit he comes back with the Vibration Actuator Motor is going out. Apparently they see it fairly commonly. This is something where the motor begins dying and the control module overvolts to compensate as it believes it isn't getting enough juice which then throws all the codes and truly shorts it(my brief understanding). Of course, that motor is tied into all the other systems (no way to just turn off the steering wheel vibration) and thus the codes for everything but the motor.

Long story short, the dealership is replacing the motor for me. Bummer that it happened, and at about $500 for the part, it wouldn't be a super expensive fix but don't want it on my dime.

So if you get this error message and can't replicate something to trigger it, next time it pops you got to take to the dealer to scan WHILE THE CAR IS STILL ON.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 06:20 PM   #50
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fersho View Post
Hi All, on the original post "Reduced Driver Assistance" waning came up like 5 times in the last 2 months " I got the same issue with my 740i G12. This is how I diagnosed and fixed it.

1) Ran BMW ISTA+ diagnostic specific to the steering wheel Vibrator Motor and the basic test failed

2) Disassemble the steering wheel https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nH6Q95mASzk

3) Replaced Motor: BMW STEERING WHEEL VIBRO MOTOR LANE DEPARTURE WARNING OEM 6874085

Issue Fixed!!
Where did you find the vibrator motor diagnostic? Can you post the ISTA flow to get to it? I'm looking around through vehicle management, service functions, etc and can't find it.

Thanks!