BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
BMW-Noob
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

X3 M40i White Smoke Exhaust

New to the community here. Recently picked up an X3 m40i loaner lease.

So far I love the vehicle but have been noticing something slightly concerning.

A few times after getting in the car and driving for about 10 minutes in sport plus, in a spirited fashion, I notice some white smoke coming out of the exhaust for a minute or so after I come to an abrupt stop. Is this just condensation? Both times has been on days it has rained but the temps were about 50 F. I have never noticed this if not in sport plus.

Both times were not the first drive of the day, but the car had been parked for about 4 hours. The smoke disappears quickly and does seem to have a whispy quality to it. I will try to recreate and get a video, it's supposed to rain all week in Michigan, but any input in the interim is much appreciated. I just dont want to make things worse if there is an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:06 AM   #2
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

White smoke generally indicates incomplete fuel burn. And that is exactly what the pops and crackles in sport mode are. Basically it’s fuel getting dumped into the exhaust. I have definitely smelled it after driving in sport mode but have never really looked for smoke, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
BMW-Noob
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Thanks! I called the dealer and they did not seem concerned at all. I think the fact that its right after a short/aggressive drive in sport plus lines up with that.
Appreciate 0