BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Used vs new, the eternal question. Macan Turbo vs M40i

Sometime in the next 6 months I'll be picking up an AWD performance sport ute and while I think I really want the X3M, I'm not excited about paying $80k for a new car. Can I afford that? Yes but that's a lot of money from my budget into a depreciating asset that I'm not sure I want to be committing to. So I'm considering cost cutting ideas. Enter the X3 M40i (new) and Macan Turbo (used). M40i goes for about $60k and used Macan Turbo $50-55k with less than 35k miles and little to no warranty.

Maybe this is just a yolo question about what I want vs what I'll be decently happy with. My problem is that if I'm not 100% into a car, I'm moving on in 2 years and wasting money. Currently driving my second E9x M3 which I adore but I know that experience will only partially translate into one of these options. I do need more utility, AWD, and ground clearance for my lifestyle.

Anyone with time in both M40i and Macan Turbo? Is one obviously better than the other? If I want to have/eat my cake will I be dissatisfied with both and wish I had gone for X3M? I'll be test driving M40i and Macan soon but want to hear from others too. Thanks!

tl;dr
X3 M40i vs used Macan Turbo. At same price which is better?

Last edited by Transfer; 04-17-2019 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Is this to replace the M3, or in addition to it?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
If you haven't read until now, here are few threads to this topic:
What the Macan Forum guys think of the M40i...
X3 m40i v Macan GTS
X4 M40 VS Macan S/GTS
Porsche Macan or X3?
X4 M40 VS Macan S/GTS (yes, this is a different one)
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Is this to replace the M3, or in addition to it?
Replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
If you haven't read until now, here are few threads to this topic:
What the Macan Forum guys think of the M40i...
X3 m40i v Macan GTS
X4 M40 VS Macan S/GTS
Porsche Macan or X3?
X4 M40 VS Macan S/GTS (yes, this is a different one)
I'll check these out but I'm Turbo or bust and I haven't seen that comparison yet. S/GTS will not have enough oomph for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Replace.

I'll check these out but I'm Turbo or bust and I haven't seen that comparison yet. S/GTS will not have enough oomph for me.
Macan is the faster, better handling car so would be a better replacement for an M3.

M40i has better technology and practicality.

Depends which you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #6
mothership324
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3m40i

I am very qualified to weigh in on this topic! My husband is a car wholesaler (35 years experience) and attends one of the largest auto auctions on the east coast every week. I was driving a 2014 Audi SQ5. As I only drive a car for a year or two, it was time to enjoy a different ride. So in Feb 2017, he purchased at the auction a 2016 Macan Turbo, 20k miles with just about every option. The car stickered at 90k and he paid 63k. Knowing that I would never buy a Porsche new because of the huge depreciation, I reasoned that this would be a good purchase and I would turn the car in 2 years. Unfortunately, this was not the case. If you want to drive a very high end car, you will pay for this luxury. in 16 months I put 8k miles on the Porsche. We decided to have the 30k mile service done. The bill on the car was $1500 (that did include the $350 oil change), and my husband informed me the car would only bring $55k at the auction and to expect an annual depreciation of about $8000 each year if I kept the car. I work too hard for my money to lose $8000 a year on a car. Now if money is no object, the Macan Turbo is an awesome ride. Truly a sexy look and it held the road in the winter like nothing I've every driven. The technology on the 2016 was horrible. Very old school. Nav couldn't find anything. Voice commands were terrible. After test driving numerous cars, I made the decision to buy a 2019 completely loaded M40i,. The car is just as fast and handles well. There is NO comparison with the BMW technology. Navigation, voice commands, driving preferences, are eons ahead of Porsche. I find the M40i more fun to drive and currently have 4700 miles on my car. Sure the Porsche appointments are much nicer (18 way seat, suede headliner, nicer leather, truly air conditioned seats). Bottom line, if money is not a consideration and you're looking for a really mean ride, then go with the Macan. If you are looking for the latest in technology combined with a really great ride (i only drive in the Adaptive or sport mode), then I'd go with the BMW. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 10
MechX3M40i1006.00
Transfer5260.00
JWright82263.50
chicagofan0019251.00
Rbrown2766.50
TXSchnee1316.50
cipher5507.00
      04-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #7
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothership324 View Post
I am very qualified to weigh in on this topic...
Thanks for the insight. On paper I would expect straight line speed between the two to be fairly similar and the handling edge tilted towards Macan as you indicate. With respect to depreciation though, $500/month on a 1 year old luxury sports car is doing quite well. For some perspective, you're losing around $700/mo on the X3 although probably don't have to do much if anything for maintenance. To me, all these cars depreciate about the same and it's really a financial mess to own one. A new X3M will be even worse which is why I'm looking at possible other angles.

I rolled along side a super clean and shiny dark blue Macan S on 21" wheels today after work and I felt like it was almost an omen. Damn that thing was pretty and I think it probably wins in the looks department although the design is a bit long in the tooth now.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:09 AM   #8
G01Mike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothership324 View Post
I am very qualified to weigh in on this topic...
Thanks for the insight. On paper I would expect straight line speed between the two to be fairly similar and the handling edge tilted towards Macan as you indicate. With respect to depreciation though, $500/month on a 1 year old luxury sports car is doing quite well. For some perspective, you're losing around $700/mo on the X3 although probably don't have to do much if anything for maintenance. To me, all these cars depreciate about the same and it's really a financial mess to own one. A new X3M will be even worse which is why I'm looking at possible other angles.

I rolled along side a super clean and shiny dark blue Macan S on 21" wheels today after work and I felt like it was almost an omen. Damn that thing was pretty and I think it probably wins in the looks department although the design is a bit long in the tooth now.
How much room do you need? I liked the Porsche more but it felt a little to cramped inside to me. Yes it was nicer and slightly faster which brought a bigger grin than the M40 but I liked the "extra" room and slightly lower maintenance costs of the BMW. Realistically the M40 has enough power to bring a grin to your face and keep it fun to drive too. I decided on the M40 and don't have any regrets.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:00 AM   #9
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

If depreciation concerns you, get the Porsche every time. The M40i (here in the UK, at least) depreciates at a ridiculous rate. The problem is that BMW keep offering incentives, which completely kills the second hand values of these cars. I got my car 9 months ago, and it’s lost the equivalent of around $13k since I bought it. And that was purchased new, with 15% off. From list price, the car has lost $21k. IN NINE MONTHS!

Anyone purchasing a new BMW with cash must be crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:08 AM   #10
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
If depreciation concerns you, get the Porsche every time. The M40i (here in the UK, at least) depreciates at a ridiculous rate. The problem is that BMW keep offering incentives, which completely kills the second hand values of these cars. I got my car 9 months ago, and it’s lost the equivalent of around $13k since I bought it. And that was purchased new, with 15% off. From list price, the car has lost $21k. IN NINE MONTHS!

I agree that the depreciation is high but ......
The PCP "Final Payment" (It's value after 4 years) has actually increased since I bought mine in November 18.
With regards to depreciation, paying cash is no worse than PCP. The BMW financial guys are pretty good at predicting future values, so you're paying the same over 4 years, minus the 3.9% pa interest.
This obviously fails if the finance guys get the future value wrong!!

I personally think the "Mid" sports ranges are the sweet spots - BMW M lite's, Audi S etc. For sure the proper M cars, RS's and Porche Macans, are faster and arguably better, but I'm not sure the really warrant the considerable cost increase. Both purchase and running costs.
      04-18-2019, 03:30 AM   #11
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
If depreciation concerns you, get the Porsche every time. The M40i (here in the UK, at least) depreciates at a ridiculous rate. The problem is that BMW keep offering incentives, which completely kills the second hand values of these cars. I got my car 9 months ago, and it's lost the equivalent of around $13k since I bought it. And that was purchased new, with 15% off. From list price, the car has lost $21k. IN NINE MONTHS!

You need to hang on in there, a large amount of you're loss at the moment will be the difference between trade and retail and that was lost the day the car was picked up, after a few years it will average out

It's nothing new BMW giving large discounts they've done it for as long as I can remember, you just need to get the best deal you can

I got 15% off mine as well so seems to be in the right ball park back then, had it now 11 months and like you can easily imagine £1k a month or more depreciation currently, but I intend keeping for 5-6 years so that should drop down to around £400-500pm average
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 06:26 AM   #12
ClaretFozzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

If it’s a used Macan you’re looking at I presume it’ll have the old interior, which feels very dated in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #13
Transfer
Major General
Rep

I think interior age and space is really my main concern with Macan. I have an appointment to drive one on Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #14
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
I think interior age and space is really my main concern with Macan. I have an appointment to drive one on Saturday.
If you have an itch to scratch and can afford it then go for it.

Porsches retain their values very well and if you buy CPO, your loss will be small if you decide to sell the Macan a year later.

Tech is nice but not the end-all-be-all. For 90% of my journeys I just jump into the car and don’t use the satnav or any nice-to-haves. Even then, the Macan isn’t exactly a relic. It’s still a modern car.

The Macan isn’t the most spacious SUV for the money but you can buy a roof box to use for journeys when you need maximum capacity. A generous roof box will increase your cargo capacity by 70%.
      04-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #15
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Is the Macan Turbo competing with the X3M40i, or the X3M?

If it's the former, I think the tech and additional utility wins out on the M40i for me, along with the fact that a Macan redesign is happening right now.

If it competes with the X3M, well...I think you just have to figure out which one you like better. I personally would hate to spend that much on a car that is also going to take a hit in value due to the newly designed models hitting the streets.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #16
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
Tough one - I prefer buying a new car. There's something about the new car buying experience that I really enjoy. I always custom order and get EXACTLY what I want. It's a big part of the excitement of getting a new car. I lease for 3 years and get something new at the end. Much of the thrill of new a car is when you shop and research it.

On the other side, the Macan Turbo will outperform for sure and is not a direct competitor to the M40i as stated above. I do agree that it is due for a change both inside and out. Porsche usually has very subtle redesigns but it's long overdue in my books. I do not like buying a vehicle right before a redesign. I get hit with that FOMO buyer's remorse shortly after.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #17
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Isn't the 2020 Macan the new design? I agree with above regarding buying a car just before the new model design hits. It immediately feels outdated to me when I see the new ones in the road.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #18
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post
I personally would hate to spend that much on a car that is also going to take a hit in value due to the newly designed models hitting the streets.
Yes the facelifted Macan has launched. However Porsche's don't depreciate like other brands and the pre-facelifted Macan will not tank in value. New generation Cayenne and 911 have launched this year but their impact on the resale value of the previous generations has been minimal.
      04-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #19
judgejon
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5, 2019 X3 M40i

Good decision so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by G01Mike View Post
How much room do you need? I liked the Porsche more but it felt a little to cramped inside to me. Yes it was nicer and slightly faster which brought a bigger grin than the M40 but I liked the "extra" room and slightly lower maintenance costs of the BMW. Realistically the M40 has enough power to bring a grin to your face and keep it fun to drive too. I decided on the M40 and don't have any regrets.
Same with me. First, I've never been quite convinced the Macan/Cayenne are true Porsche vehicles. I sold my '79 911SC at 325k miles. I sold my 2003 C4S at 65k miles. But, note how I went from an air-cooled to a conventional water-cooled Porsche. Both totally awesome cars.
Second, when it was time for a change due to my age and agility, I was dead set on a Macan S until I drove the M40i. It was the interior space that decided it for me. The center console in the Macan seemed out of place to me. The X3 was almost as spacious and comfortable as my spouse's X5. The M40i is a total sleeper. Cruise around all day, then, whammo, throw the hammer down. The car turns instantly into a killer. I'm generally in sport-individual, set with comfort damping/steer-sport engine/trans, when just tooling around. Easy handling, and killer instant acceleration.
And I don't have to bend over to get into the back.
All, of course, imho.
Occasional Quips
Have Viola, Will Travel

Last edited by judgejon; 04-18-2019 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 3
Transfer5260.00
MechX3M40i1006.00
drurka21.00
      04-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #20
Transfer
Major General
Rep

The 2020 Macan is just cosmetic changes which do update it nicely but nothing major IMO that would make me regret buying first gen.

While the M40i is not a direct competitor to the Macan Turbo, the X3M isn't really either at about 100 more HP and 40 tq. We all know the M40i is worth more HP on paper than BMW lets on so probably about the same as Macan Turbo. I think the M40i is a pretty amazing overall kit but damn if I just get turned off by all the gray trim pieces. Yes I know they are replaceable but that's just extra cost and work that I prefer to not do on a new car.

There is certainly something to be said about buying/leasing new. Sometimes it's just hard to swallow the depreciation pill but that's often worth it for shiny new and a factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 11:48 PM   #21
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
The 2020 Macan is just cosmetic changes which do update it nicely but nothing major IMO that would make me regret buying first gen.

While the M40i is not a direct competitor to the Macan Turbo, the X3M isn't really either at about 100 more HP and 40 tq. We all know the M40i is worth more HP on paper than BMW lets on so probably about the same as Macan Turbo. I think the M40i is a pretty amazing overall kit but damn if I just get turned off by all the gray trim pieces. Yes I know they are replaceable but that's just extra cost and work that I prefer to not do on a new car.

There is certainly something to be said about buying/leasing new. Sometimes it's just hard to swallow the depreciation pill but that's often worth it for shiny new and a factory warranty.
The Cerium Grey trim pieces are super easy to swap so the "work" to do so shouldn't even be a concern. Cost, sure it isn't cheap, especially if you go through IND but it looks a hell of a lot better and worth it in the end.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
Transfer5260.00
      04-19-2019, 01:45 AM   #22
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep22jg View Post
I agree that the depreciation is high but ......
The PCP "Final Payment" (It's value after 4 years) has actually increased since I bought mine in November 18.
With regards to depreciation, paying cash is no worse than PCP. The BMW financial guys are pretty good at predicting future values, so you're paying the same over 4 years, minus the 3.9% pa interest.
This obviously fails if the finance guys get the future value wrong!!

I personally think the "Mid" sports ranges are the sweet spots - BMW M lite's, Audi S etc. For sure the proper M cars, RS's and Porche Macans, are faster and arguably better, but I'm not sure the really warrant the considerable cost increase. Both purchase and running costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
You need to hang on in there, a large amount of you're loss at the moment will be the difference between trade and retail and that was lost the day the car was picked up, after a few years it will average out

It's nothing new BMW giving large discounts they've done it for as long as I can remember, you just need to get the best deal you can

I got 15% off mine as well so seems to be in the right ball park back then, had it now 11 months and like you can easily imagine £1k a month or more depreciation currently, but I intend keeping for 5-6 years so that should drop down to around £400-500pm average
All good points, but I like to change cars every couple of years, so purchasing outright wasn’t the best move. Saving the money to buy the car, then seeing how much money it’s losing isn’t a great feeling.

If I’d leased, the monthly figure would work out less overall, I’m sure, so I may wait until the next facelift, sell this one, then go back to leasing again.

On the final note of depreciation, a good friend has a 2017 Macan S diesel, and he has lost an obscene amount since he got it, apparently. Talking to another guy in the trade, he reckons that people want petrol Macans, and diesel X3’s come resale time! All irrelevant if leasing.
Appreciate 0