BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #45
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
It might be interesting to collect some wireless charge stats similar to what MaxWell is doing with MPG numbers.

Quick trip:

iPhone X in Apple leather case, listening to music via wireless CarPlay, elapsed charging time 6 min 43 seconds, gain of 4% charge (32% to 36%).

Same phone, using CarPlay. 28 minutes, 72% to 83% (11% charge).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 01:55 AM   #46
Brucecris
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucecris View Post
iPhone XS Max. My kids phone does the same. I've already had it in for the issue. No dice.
Have you taken it to the dealer?
I've already had it in for the issue. "Updated" it. Nothing was found. Was told it could be my phone. Anyone else running an iPhone XS Max with the latest iOS release?
      03-24-2019, 04:56 AM   #47
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
iPhone XS Max. My kids phone does the same. I've already had it in for the issue. No dice.
I've already had it in for the issue. "Updated" it. Nothing was found. Was told it could be my phone. Anyone else running an iPhone XS Max with the latest iOS release?
I have a XS Max and that charges fine on the pad, it's certainly not the fastest but should work, I'm getting roughly 10% every 25 minutes, my old 8 plus was around 10% every 20 minutes but that would be due to smaller battery rather than charging faster

If you can get hold of a cheap wireless pad to prove your phone of OK then keep onto service dept.

Sorry misunderstood, I read with post above yours, but to confirm my Bluetooth streaming works OK as well
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 05:17 AM   #48
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have a XS Max and that charges fine on the pad, it's certainly not the fastest but should work, I'm getting roughly 10% every 25 minutes, my old 8 plus was around 10% every 20 minutes but that would be due to smaller battery rather than charging faster

If you can get hold of a cheap wireless pad to prove your phone of OK then keep onto service dept.
His problem is with Bluetooth cutting out.

Bluetooth works perfectly on my iPhone XS btw.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 05:20 AM   #49
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

His problem is with Bluetooth cutting out.

Bluetooth works perfectly on my iPhone XS btw.
Oops
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #50
Brucecris
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry misunderstood, I read with post above yours, but to confirm my Bluetooth streaming works OK as well
Thanks! When you change songs is there a lag? Does it disconnect often?
      04-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #51
mariopl
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2024 520xd, 2023 i4 M50

iPhoneX , charges 1% per 7 minutes wirelessly.
Is it normal?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:19 AM   #52
DHA-uk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariopl View Post
Is it normal?
My iPhone X charges very slowly in the car compared to my desk wireless charger, so yes that probably is "normal". My commute is around 40 minutes in the car and I don't get a huge amount of charge before I get home after work
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 06:25 AM   #53
mariopl
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHA-uk View Post
My iPhone X charges very slowly in the car compared to my desk wireless charger, so yes that probably is "normal". My commute is around 40 minutes in the car and I don't get a huge amount of charge before I get home after work
My wireless home charger does charge pretty quickly, I expected the same from bmw charger but it seems to be terribly slow!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 06:39 AM   #54
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

For you who experience slow wireless charging; are you also running CarPlay at the same time?
Is it hot in the cabin?
Both these issues will quickly slow down your charging. BMW could perhaps vent the wireless bay a bit...

I disabled CarPlay, and just run Bluetooth audio, and I am quite happy with the sound and wireless charging. To iPhone XR.
It can also draw >2A from the built-in usb-a ports. See pictures in earlier thread.
      04-21-2019, 06:53 AM   #55
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
For you who experience slow wireless charging; are you also running CarPlay at the same time?
Is it hot in the cabin?
Both these issues will quickly slow down your charging. BMW could perhaps vent the wireless bay a bit...

I disabled CarPlay, and just run Bluetooth audio, and I am quite happy with the sound and wireless charging. To iPhone XR.
It can also draw >2A from the built-in usb-a ports. See pictures in earlier thread.
I agree. Seems like the wireless charging is just enough to keep the phone battery from getting drained when CarPlay is active. Hence the impression of negligibly slow charging vs home charger (phone normally inactive while on home charger).

Also agree that the localized high temp near the charger bed hinders the effectiveness of the charging, so much so that charging might even stop by safety mechanism when the phone gets too hot.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019135.50
      04-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #56
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Is it normal?
I consistently get between .4% and .6% charge per minute, so long as the phone is depleted. If it's already at 90% it doesn't seem to top it off as quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #57
mariopl
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I consistently get between .4% and .6% charge per minute, so long as the phone is depleted. If it's already at 90% it doesn't seem to top it off as quickly.
That is interesting finding. I have to check mine, last time it went from 92->94% in 40 minutes. Maybe below 90 will charge faster..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #58
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Quote:
That is interesting finding. I have to check mine, last time it went from 92->94% in 40 minutes. Maybe below 90 will charge faster..
Charging speed as indicated by '%' also depends on which phone you use (I.e. different battery size/capacity). So you can only do a direct comparison with the same phone model.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #59
CH3CKM4TE
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4CS | M3CX | X5

Garage List
Quote:
Here's the readings from my X5 which should have the same output on it's USB-A port next to the wireless charger. I pulled 1.42A at 5.23V ie 7.4W with you S10+ and 5.2V / 1.15A or ~6S with my work iPhone 8. I have fancier meters which log data but they yielded the same results so I didn't take a picture using them.

I also recorded the USB-C port outputs which are 1.3A up front and 2A for the in seat ones. I suspect I could pull more than 2A with certain devices but the key here is the minimum of 5W and Max of 10W
The X3s have UBS-C ports? Sorry for the stupid question - but I dont see one in my vehicle.

IG: @CH3CKM4TE_
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:54 PM   #60
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKRPT View Post
Quote:
Here's the readings from my X5 which should have the same output on it's USB-A port next to the wireless charger. I pulled 1.42A at 5.23V ie 7.4W with you S10+ and 5.2V / 1.15A or ~6S with my work iPhone 8. I have fancier meters which log data but they yielded the same results so I didn't take a picture using them.

I also recorded the USB-C port outputs which are 1.3A up front and 2A for the in seat ones. I suspect I could pull more than 2A with certain devices but the key here is the minimum of 5W and Max of 10W
The X3s have UBS-C ports? Sorry for the stupid question - but I dont see one in my vehicle.
no, I measured the current in my X5 since I traded in my X3 earlier this year.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2019, 02:24 AM   #61
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
That's how it works, and is not unusual. Once the charge goes above, oh, 60-80% (it varies by phone type), the charging rates slow down. Here are some ancient graphs for an iPhone 6 plus: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comm...using_various/

And here is some newer data for an iPhone X versus various charging methods: https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ipho...eeds-compared/ (this shows just how bad wireless charging is on the iPhone)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:07 AM   #62
Redman67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Soon to be X3 M40i

So do you or do you not get a backseat lighter power outlet if you don’t get the wireless charge pad option?

Having iPhone charging capability without running a cable to the front seat is a must. Can’t believe I’d pay $500 for it it but I guess I would even though the wireless charging is slow and I don’t really need or want the hotspot feature.

What is enhanced Bluetooth? Does this come with wireless charging pad option?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #63
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

I'm pretty sure that backseat power outlet is standard in the US (but not standard outside the US). The wireless charger option comes with (in addition to the cheesy wireless charger):
  • Enhanced USB. You get a USB port in the armrest storage area; normally, there is only one (1) USB port in the center storage area only (none in the armrest storage).

• Enhanced bluetooth. You supposedly get the ability to connect two phones simultaneously, but I have no idea why you'd want to do that. Android users get access to some basic office functionality like a calendar, access to email, etc.

• Second microphone above the passenger's head.

• Wifi hotspot.
If you're desperate, there's another power outlet in the cargo area (in the US).
Appreciate 0