BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-28-2019, 06:37 AM   #1
john Odonald
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2007.

Sun roof drain hole.

Hi all, I am writing this in the hope someone can tell me. My X3 has had a leak, this was coming from the rear left had drain hole, after taking some of the rear boot and the roof liner away I was able to tell this was the fault. Now this is were I need help, I cannot open the sun roof as it is not working, and I followed the drain tube along and down to the rear. look under the car. but can't see were it's coming out, can anyone help me. Has anyone got a picture of were it is underneath. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
bcolins
Wildwestrider
Rep
Drives: E83, R1200GS, ,

I pulled my headliner down/out completely, only to realize I didn't need to do that. I had a leak in the right rear corner of my X3. It turned out a piece of debris and a bit of dirt were blocking the sunroof drain hole right where the tube connects to the drain tray.

Pull the headliner down gently in the back corner where your leak is, pull the drain hose down and off the drain tray nipple,.....blow down into the drain hose, if you can blow through it,....that is NOT your problem. Reach up and into the drain tray and while inserting a coat hanger or similar probe from below, see if you can feel any debris or muck blocking your drain tray exit/drain nipple.

good luck.
Brian in San Antonio
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
john Odonald
Rep

Drain hole.

Hi there, I will give it a try, thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
englishtom1596
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW X3/ 98 BMW M3

The drains are under the car on the pinch weld area on all 4 corners. If you were to slide your hand down the side skirt, under and up the other side until you hit the floor pan under the car you'd find it. It's a rubber plug in the shape of a star. If you can't open the sunroof you can try sticking a vacuum cleaner over it to suck the debris out.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 06:02 AM   #5
john Odonald
Rep

Sun roof.

Thanks for your reply englishtom, your the man.
Appreciate 0