BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #1
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Wireless Charger Retrofit: Success! :)

First off, thank you forum member "fw_fw" for posting this on a previous thread. I ordered it after i saw some of the install pics (page 34, post#734)
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...harger&page=34

This is where I bought it:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DNHF...461045d0rvPQIr

Tools required:
- Pry tool (plastic preferred, but used a metal one and was gentle)
- 5 star screw head, Torx (not sure what size but one of the smaller ones)
- Patience and about 30 min of your time.

Process:
- Before reading my little tidbits of info, read the link above from where I purchased it, it has very descriptive pictures.
- There are 4 "pry points", but you can edge your way up towards the HVAC facia, starting from the armrest area. Comes off SUPER easy. No need for any force whatsoever.
- When you lift the cover up there are 3 plugs....navigation, park brake & drive modes. You won't need to mark them since they are all color coded, BLUE-BLACK-RED and they won't accidentally fit in any other connector. Remove them slowly (DON'T pull the wires and use a tool to pull the plastic plugs).
- When you take off the cover set it aside and remove the 4 Torx screws
- Then remove the existing rubber panel in the cubby first. It looks like this when removed:

IMG_4545 by P LL, on Flickr

- Then when you lift up the bottom section, after removing the torx screws, do it slowly...starting from the rear and pull towards you gently - pull the shifter towards you to get it UP (not off) easy. There WILL BE 2 Bigger cords connected to the section - no need to remove them, just loosen the "wire guides" a little so you can lift the panel higher up by just a bit (about 4 to 5 inches of give) DO NOT remove the clips holding the wires, no need.

- When you install the Wireless Panel, run the wire through the left hole all the way and pull the cord CLOSE to the RIGHT edge of the hole. You will need to do this so that the plastic clips can secure themselves to the outer edges of the holes properly. It take a little "massaging" but you'll figure it out. I just positioned - and then pushed till I heard two clicks, one for each hole. Here is the rear of the original trim piece to give you an idea of how big the holes are and what you might need to do to get the plastic clips through them:

IMG_4546 by P LL, on Flickr

And this is the center Console with the wire-tap-connector-adapter installed (no tapping, just plug and play) - on the RIGHT is the "connector" to the stock plug, then on the bottom of the pic is the Black fuse box, and in the middle you'll see the TWO white connectors that complete the circuit:

IMG_4539 by P LL, on Flickr

- Then install the 4 Torx screws again and TEST the charger by putting your phone on it.....turns blue....boom. You're golden.

- Slowly connect the 3 plugs for the console - BLUE, BLACK & RED. Then just gently push it back down (about 6 points).

- Done:

IMG_4542 by P LL, on Flickr

IMG_4541 by P LL, on Flickr

Kindly excuse my "X3 Cup holder rubber trays" HAHAHAHA

Hope this helps all of you without the OEM wireless charger figure out a better solution! Let me know if you have any questions I can help with!
JustChris17485.50
fw_fw107.50
MechX3M40i1006.00
Ragnarkov126.50
ZHPsedan135.50
pej744593.00
weez271.50
malbec10.00
DocWho86.50
      02-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
AnOldBiker
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive 40i

Do you happen to know if this will this charge thru an Otter cell phone cover .. or just a cell phone without any cover ?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
Do you happen to know if this will this charge thru an Otter cell phone cover .. or just a cell phone without any cover ?
Quote:
I have a cover. Thin. But I do have a cover without a steel back. The steel back won't let you - if there's a steel plate
      02-26-2019, 02:25 AM   #4
Pete17
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0i M Sport

Hi
Can this be fitted to right hand drive cars as the info on the site say left hand only.
Pete
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:15 AM   #5
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Quote:
I have a Spigen case on my Xr and it charges thru it fine, and according to Amazon all Otterbox cases are compatible with Qi charging, so this will work fine.

For further reference here is my install thread that SROC3 is referencing. My charger has been installed almost a month now and is still working flawlessly!

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581849

Current: 18 X3 xDrive30i
Past: 03 530i Sport | 06 330ci ZHP | 14 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport | 11 328i M-Sport | 98 M Roadster
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      02-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
Dutch1576
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
I have the OEM wireless charger that came with my M40i, and it charges perfectly through my Otterbox Defender case on my iPhone XS Max. The one listed here looks exactly the OEM one, so there should be no issues with charging through your Otterbox case. The only thing I do not like is that my phone gets VERY hot whilst sitting on the charging pad. However, this may be due to my using WAZE via Apple CarPlay and charging at the same time.

Nice job SROC on the install!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
bsperry92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 s30i

Garage List
2015 MINI Cooper  [0.00]
2019 X3 S30i  [0.00]
Nice write up! I have been debating this mod but wanted to wait and see how they held up over time. Sounds like I'll be giving this a shot very soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Anyone know if the Note 9 will fit?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Bmock17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
First off, thank you forum member "fw_fw" for posting this on a previous thread. I ordered it after i saw some of the install pics (page 34, post#734)
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...er&page=34

Tools required:

Process:
- Before reading my little tidbits of info, read the link above from where I purchased it, it has very descriptive pictures.
- There are 4 "pry points", but you can edge your way up towards the HVAC facia, starting from the armrest area. Comes off SUPER easy. No need for any force whatsoever.
- When you lift the cover up there are 3 plugs....navigation, park brake & drive modes. You won't need to mark them since they are all color coded, BLUE-BLACK-RED and they won't accidentally fit in any other connector. Remove them slowly (DON'T pull the wires and use a tool to pull the plastic plugs).
- Then remove the existing rubber panel in the cubby first. It looks like this when removed:

- Then when you lift up the bottom section, after removing the torx screws, do it slowly...starting from the rear and pull towards you gently - pull the shifter towards you to get it UP (not off) easy. There WILL BE 2 Bigger cords connected to the section - no need to remove them, just loosen the "wire guides" a little so you can lift the panel higher up by just a bit (about 4 to 5 inches of give) DO NOT remove the clips holding the wires, no need.

- When you install the Wireless Panel, run the wire through the left hole all the way and pull the cord CLOSE to the RIGHT edge of the hole. You will need to do this so that the plastic clips can secure themselves to the outer edges of the holes properly. It take a little "massaging" but you'll figure it out. I just positioned - and then pushed till I heard two clicks, one for each hole. Here is the rear of the original trim piece to give you an idea of how big the holes are and what you might need to do to get the plastic clips through them:

And this is the center Console with the wire-tap-connector-adapter installed (no tapping, just plug and play) - on the RIGHT is the "connector" to the stock plug, then on the bottom of the pic is the Black fuse box, and in the middle you'll see the TWO white connectors that complete the circuit:

- Then install the 4 Torx screws again and TEST the charger by putting your phone on it.....turns blue....boom. You're golden.

- Slowly connect the 3 plugs for the console - BLUE, BLACK & RED. Then just gently push it back down (about 6 points).

- Done:

Hope this helps all of you without the OEM wireless charger figure out a better solution! Let me know if you have any questions I can help with!
Very cool! I just ordered one.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #10
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
This is one of the few interior mods I want to do to my car. seems pretty straight forward.

while under the console cover, did you happen to see if there was any wiring that might lead to a usb port in the center cubby? or perhaps another power cord that would be running to the back of the console (for a power port).

if I can get a power port at the back of the console, that would be crazy awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #11
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post
This is one of the few interior mods I want to do to my car. seems pretty straight forward.

while under the console cover, did you happen to see if there was any wiring that might lead to a usb port in the center cubby? or perhaps another power cord that would be running to the back of the console (for a power port).

if I can get a power port at the back of the console, that would be crazy awesome.
I didn't notice actually - was totally focused on the pad install. There were a TON of wires back there so maybe? Also they were all covered in black tape and there were no "loose" plugs - if that's what you mean. You'd likely need to go back there with a voltage meter to make sure you're tapping the right connector/wire.
      03-11-2019, 08:26 PM   #12
Bmock17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...er&page=34

Tools required:

Process:

- Done:

How did you get those three clips undone that are plugged in underneath the center piece? I have been wiggling the damn things for the past 30 minutes and can't get them out. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #13
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmock17 View Post
How did you get those three clips undone that are plugged in underneath the center piece? I have been wiggling the damn things for the past 30 minutes and can't get them out. Any tips?
.......I used long nose plies and pulled them off VERY gently. DO NOT use the wires and tug. BAD IDEA. You can also get a needle end tool and press the mini-ass clip that connects them and they should come off proper.

DO NOT force. Wiggle, wiggle and they should come off. I'll be around for the next hour or so....so you're welcome to text me for steps if you get stuck. Messaged you my mobile
      04-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #14
gregtennis91
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

How is this working for everyone?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #15
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtennis91 View Post
How is this working for everyone?
VERY well NOTE - this only fits cars with NO standard wireless charger in place. Otherwise the placemat will not fit
      05-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #16
waingro
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Tried to install one of these today.
The wire tap connector they sent was a 2 pin vs the 3 pin that is required (and was shown on the aliexpress listing page). I've sent the seller a message and will file a dispute in 24 hours if they don't agree to send he correct part, but as a backup does anyone know if this can be purchased on its own anywhere?
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      05-19-2019, 02:31 AM   #17
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by waingro View Post
Tried to install one of these today.
The wire tap connector they sent was a 2 pin vs the 3 pin that is required (and was shown on the aliexpress listing page). I've sent the seller a message and will file a dispute in 24 hours if they don't agree to send he correct part, but as a backup does anyone know if this can be purchased on its own anywhere?
Home depot I would think
      05-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #18
Pumice99
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xdrive30i, A90 Supra

I installed mine today. The blue connector right underneath the iDrive wheel was a pain in the ass to disconnect. We had to wedge a tiny flat screwdriver in there and then pull really hard to get it to come out. Other than that, the install was fairly straight forward. Thank you to SROC3 for the detailed instructions! Mine turns green when it's charging.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      05-26-2019, 06:38 AM   #19
GGEVOX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i, F36 440xi

Does it seem to charge faster than the cable?

Nervous nelly over here.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 07:55 AM   #20
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

This is A GREAT write up. Well done.

I have the charger from the factory. A word of warning in case you are adding this and expecting amazing charging.

Mine is extremely finicky. I have driven for 6 hrs and gotten very little charge (ie it keeps up, but only adds a few %). I have driven to work (1 hr) and been negative when I arrive. I have driven for 20 minutes and gotten +20%.

Placement of the phone is key.

It does get Very hot when I'm there.

I have the Pixel 3 XL and have tried every config and still get random results.

Great for maintaining and perhaps adding a small amount. But, I would still NEVER pay $500 for it again. I would say, to me, the factory is worth $75.

If you can get this for $75...that is awesome and I am so proud of you! Wish I Could have gotten it for this price. I am now actually thinking of buying it and swapping mine out to see if things get better.

Paul
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      05-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #21
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Got this too but received the 2-pin harness versus the 3-pin. Not sure what’s up with that seller, but he message me saying he was shipping out a new harness. It’s just going to take a while since it coming from China.

As for the OEM option the $500 also gets you the in-car cellular function which is pretty sure we can’t add after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #22
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepersjoey View Post
This is A GREAT write up. Well done.

I have the charger from the factory. A word of warning in case you are adding this and expecting amazing charging.

Mine is extremely finicky. I have driven for 6 hrs and gotten very little charge (ie it keeps up, but only adds a few %). I have driven to work (1 hr) and been negative when I arrive. I have driven for 20 minutes and gotten +20%.

Placement of the phone is key.

It does get Very hot when I'm there.

I have the Pixel 3 XL and have tried every config and still get random results.

Great for maintaining and perhaps adding a small amount. But, I would still NEVER pay $500 for it again. I would say, to me, the factory is worth $75.

If you can get this for $75...that is awesome and I am so proud of you! Wish I Could have gotten it for this price. I am now actually thinking of buying it and swapping mine out to see if things get better.

Paul
NOTE: If you got the original OEM charger, this will NOT fit. The OEM base is perfectly rectangular and this one has a little "V" shape in the middle towards the cupholders. You can notice it in the pics. You'll have to change center console to the OEM one without the OEM charger base.