BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
$M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

First Service Trip To Dealer

Today I dropped the X40I in for service. It just turned 1,500 miles.

I am having the first oil change (at my expense) and warranty work consisting of

- pano sunroof liner rattle (very annoying) all conditions
- exposed red wire under the front door tweeter speaker (not tucked in)
- left rear tailpipe flaking
- the top row of ambient door lighting hot spots
- rear axle grease found on the garage floor.

I will have to wait until Monday to get the results as they were short techs. but they did give me a 19' 540 series as a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #2
BigJake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i

Holy crap thats a lot of issues for a new car. I hope they fix it all.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I have the same flaking on the left tailpipe, as well as a single hotspot on the ambient light strip on drivers door. I'll wait until October when I need to get the first 10k miles oil change. It's not worth to change if the replacement parts could be just as bad and/or not available.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
$M2
Private
Rep

UPDATE:

I never received a call on Friday so late in the day I called. They had no information. What I was told was that the dealer needed to contact the Regional Office for approval or recommended fixes. They would follow up on Monday.

Monday late in the day no call again. I called and there was no update. They would get an answer today.

No call today. I called and was told the same. They do not want to do anything until there is an ok from Regional for a fix or if there is an update.

Who knows what tomorrow brings. I find it all to be very odd. Many years ago, when I worked at a service desk, we would determine the issue, confirm the issue and check for recommended fixes that were in the computer database. If there were no parts we would make a note, notify the customer and then release the vehicle and notify the customer when parts were available. If there were no fixes for the issue it would go to regional for a corporate rep to visit the dealer, document and await proposed fixes to the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
a week went by and no work has been done to the car.
what work requires approval??
if the tech doesnt know how to fix the issue then regional rep is requested.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #6
eurobear
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d MSport Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by $M2 View Post
UPDATE:

I never received a call on Friday so late in the day I called. They had no information. What I was told was that the dealer needed to contact the Regional Office for approval or recommended fixes. They would follow up on Monday.

Monday late in the day no call again. I called and there was no update. They would get an answer today.

No call today. I called and was told the same. They do not want to do anything until there is an ok from Regional for a fix or if there is an update.

Who knows what tomorrow brings. I find it all to be very odd. Many years ago, when I worked at a service desk, we would determine the issue, confirm the issue and check for recommended fixes that were in the computer database. If there were no parts we would make a note, notify the customer and then release the vehicle and notify the customer when parts were available. If there were no fixes for the issue it would go to regional for a corporate rep to visit the dealer, document and await proposed fixes to the issue.
This sounds like my experience with a UK dealership.

It took them nearly two weeks to fix things that should have been done in a couple of days. They gave me a 19' 620d GT to ride around in while mine was in the shop, but I'd rather they get it fixed quickly or say come back in two weeks when we have the approval/parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #7
$M2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
a week went by and no work has been done to the car.
what work requires approval??
if the tech doesnt know how to fix the issue then regional rep is requested.
It appears they are awaiting approval or a fix to the warranty issues. I don't know
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
$M2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobear View Post
This sounds like my experience with a UK dealership.

It took them nearly two weeks to fix things that should have been done in a couple of days. They gave me a 19' 620d GT to ride around in while mine was in the shop, but I'd rather they get it fixed quickly or say come back in two weeks when we have the approval/parts.
Exactly
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
$M2
Private
Rep

Picked up the vehicle today and I am NOT a happy camper. After having the vehicle for one week:

BMW does not recognize any of the issues as being warranty replaceable or fixable!

Here is what I did get

Current mileage 1,354

- rattle in pano sunroof cover - NORMAL
- blobs of grease - part of the assembly process no issue under the vehicle
- flaking of left exhaust tailpipe - normal
- ambient lighting issue - because it is not an LED it is a projector from the dash, hot spots are normal

Oil change $108

I did call BMW NA and filed a formal customer complaint on the lack of remedies and unwillingness to address the issues at the dealer level. They told me to speak with the service mgr. Which I did.

He had no explanation other than if BMW has no issues to warrant a repair or replacement there is not much he can do. The Regional Engineer BMW rep. is scheduled to visit next Wednesday and I was told I could expect a call. Will see. This is the most incompetent customer service I have ever received. Extremely frustrating.

I can see Lemon Law in my future.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #10
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
Quote:
Picked up the vehicle today and I am NOT a happy camper. After having the vehicle for one week:

BMW does not recognize any of the issues as being warranty replaceable or fixable!

Here is what I did get

Current mileage 1,354

- rattle in pano sunroof cover - NORMAL
- blobs of grease - part of the assembly process no issue under the vehicle
- ambient lighting issue - because it is not an LED it is a projector from the dash, hot spots are normal

Oil change $108

I did call BMW NA and filed a formal customer complaint on the lack of remedies and unwillingness to address the issues at the dealer level. They told me to speak with the service mgr. Which I did.

He had no explanation other than if BMW has no issues to warrant a repair or replacement there is not much he can do. The Regional Engineer BMW rep. is scheduled to visit next Wednesday and I was told I could expect a call. Will see. This is the most incompetent customer service I have ever received. Extremely frustrating.

I can see Lemon Law in my future.
Wow - I would be throwing stuff in that dealership waiting room if I were you. Nothing in that list is normal, especially not the exhaust tips!!! I am waiting for delivery of my M40i, which will be my first BMW. I sure as heck hope that my experience with warranty work will be better than this.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
That's just inexcusable, sorry for your frustration which is completely understandable.

Here's a thread on this forum regarding flaking exhaust tips that were covered under warranty and replaced by the dealer.
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...t=exhaust+tips

I also remember seeing posts regarding ambient lighting issues being fixed under warranty as well. Do a search through this forum and you should be able to find the posts and show them to your Service Advisor. You might also want to find another dealership to bring your car too if you can, they don't sound very accommodating. . Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #12
$M2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
That's just inexcusable, sorry for your frustration which is completely understandable.

Here's a thread on this forum regarding flaking exhaust tips that were covered under warranty and replaced by the dealer.
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...t=exhaust+tips

I also remember seeing posts regarding ambient lighting issues being fixed under warranty as well. Do a search through this forum and you should be able to find the posts and show them to your Service Advisor. You might also want to find another dealership to bring your car too if you can, they don't sound very accommodating. . Good luck.

I was exhausted in stating the numerous issues that are common, such as the ambient lighting and exhaust along with the panoramic sunroof rattle. To no avail. There is only one other dealership that is close and 35 miles away. Wednesday with the BMW field engineer will determine what I do next.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 05:47 AM   #13
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:
UPDATE:

That’s a huge lack of communication and customer care from the dealership! Reminds me of my experience with Sytner, Chigwell - bought our latest cars elsewhere, although I don’t believe the dealership will a single f#ck... too big to care!

Hope you get everything sorted quickly to your satisfaction.
Appreciate 0