BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #23
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Did You use 2" or 1 1/4" receiver option?
      05-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #24
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I towed a trailer a couple hundred miles over the weekend and aside from the hit to my gas mileage the stealth hitch worked great. The trailer is a 100x nicer than dealing with a hitch carrier for several reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Yes, the factory installed hitch would disable the rear parking sensor.

There are a few other implementation with the factory hitch option such as hitch cam view (can be enabled by coding) and changes to the stability control system to detect and counter swaying of attached trailer.

So despite stealth hitch may look more "stealthy", I think factory hitch is better/safer if you plan to pull a trailer.
Do you have source material for the stability control thing? Never heard of it but I did notice a bit of wandering on the highway and it would be interesting to know more about.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #25
mineralfarmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3, F23 M235i, F83 M4

Garage List
From my research on hitches for the F25 X3, owners need to be aware that the electrical system on the F25 changed midway through the model run. In 2015, BMW went with a much faster onboard computer system. If you get, say, an Invisihitch or a Stealth Hitch for models through 2014, you will NOT be able to obtain an "active harness" with that which would activate the BMW active towing features (stability enhancement, rear camera zoom, disabling of parking sensors). For models 2015 and later, the aftermarket companies CAN supply an active harness and you can have them activate these features remotely. For some reason, they are not able to do so on 2014 and earlier because of inherent factory design issues. The only choice for these earlier models if you want the active electronic towing features is a dealer-installed hitch. Beware.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:38 AM   #26
mineralfarmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also BEWARE: I just heard that Execuhitch (Invisihitch) is out of business. I also also found a post on another thread that said they went out of business in 12/2018. You would never know it from the website, which "took" my order last week but did not generate any email confirmation (or credit card charge so far). Their phone number is not accepting calls. They have not answered my email.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #27
mineralfarmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ordered anew from Stealth Hitch. CEO Steve Nance was terrific communicating with me by email. He confirmed that BMW made a change in their controller/harness configuration in 2014 and the older one is NLA. If anyone knows how I might come across an OEM harness for a 2013 that would enable the active electronic features, please let me know! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #28
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I just inquired at Stealth Hitch about the active harness option for the G01 models which became available after I purchased mine in the fall.

It requires BMW to do the programming and provides all the features of the OEM hitch, awesome! It costs 670 just for the wiring harness, not so awesome.

I will probably get it eventually.. anti-sway and no PDC beeping would be really nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #29
RyBarbieri
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Just picked up my 2019 X3 M40i (Love it!). Considering one of two options for Thule Pro hitch bike rack. I have an F150 in the garage for towing boats, etc. So I don’t need wiring and not going to be trailering with it.

I’m intrigued by the Stealth Hitch - however, for those that have experience I’m wondering if you get any rack movement / sway due to the extra connection point under the bumper?

It seems to me that when the male connection goes into the female hitch assembly behind the bumper it would be difficult to completely snug it up so the receive doesn’t move or sway.

Thank you for your help
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 06:47 AM   #30
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Does anyone have one of these on an LCI? Any opinions? They look good to me... any cutting involved in the install outside of the cardboard pieces?