BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Question about Auto stop/start

I now have my M40i for a little over 24 hours.
One thing I am not sure is it I don't know how to set is the Auto Stop/Start.

I notice I have to DISABLE it every time I restart the car.
However I THINK when I test drive , the demo doesn't need to disable everytime. I turn off the car in a parking , walk around a bit, get in, start the car and drive off, and the auto stop/start remain disable.

I think I read someone said if the car in Sport mode it will be disable
But I don't want to drive in sport mode all the time.

Is it I don't know how to set it in iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #2
GoCubs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_cheng View Post
I now have my M40i for a little over 24 hours.
One thing I am not sure is it I don't know how to set is the Auto Stop/Start.

I notice I have to DISABLE it every time I restart the car.
However I THINK when I test drive , the demo doesn't need to disable everytime. I turn off the car in a parking , walk around a bit, get in, start the car and drive off, and the auto stop/start remain disable.

I think I read someone said if the car in Sport mode it will be disable
But I don't want to drive in sport mode all the time.

Is it I don't know how to set it in iDrive?
From the factory it will start in comfort mode with ASS enabled everytime you start the engine. If you then switch to sport it will automatically turn off, however, next time you start the engine it will again start in comfort with ASS enabled.

With bimmercode you can code the car to start in a particular mode instead of comfort (I do sport individual which idrive let's you easily tweak) and/or there's also an option to code ASS to retain whatever value it was when you turned off the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:13 AM   #3
eurobear
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d MSport Xdrive

I'm curious why you'd want to disable it?

Not only does it reduce your fuel consumption it also is almost unnoticeable when it kicks back in as you pull away. I've not had one situation where I wasn't able to put my foot down and go from a standstill and be hindered by the stop/start system.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:49 AM   #4
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobear View Post

Not only does it reduce your fuel consumption it also is almost unnoticeable when it kicks back in as you pull away. I've not had one situation where I wasn't able to put my foot down and go from a standstill and be hindered by the stop/start system.
Because stopping and starting your engine is adding wear and Im not convinced its going to save much environmental impact if you are for example in slow moving traffic stopping and starting constantly for hours on a motorway for example.

to the OP you can code it out using BimmerCode, if you search the threads for ASS youll find lots of info.

Last edited by tonyb15re; 04-15-2019 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 3
chicagofan0019134.00
weez271.50
      04-15-2019, 04:08 AM   #5
Slashers 28th/61st
Stumpy
England
Rep
Drives: X3 30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb15re View Post
Because stopping and starting your engine is adding wear and Im not convinced its going to same much environmental impact if you are for example in slow moving traffic stopping and starting constantly for hours on a motorway for example.

to the OP you can code it out using BimmerCode, if you search the threads for ASS youll find lots of info.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #6
AnOldBiker
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive 40i

I asked the rep that called me what I like and disliked .. and one thing I mention the ASS option.

I wanted to know what the cost difference was in savings on fuel verses a new starter, starter battery and installation cost.

And what was the projected fuel saving amount was projected either yearly or life of the vehicle.

They couldn't answer. Just that I'd save fuel and the environment ?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:56 AM   #7
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was chatting with a bloke who had a Focus, yes I know its not the same build quality etc, he was telling me that he had to take his car back into Ford because the engine was knackered, he blamed the ASS for it as he had heard many reports of the same issue and Ford having to replace engines because of it, they eventually replaced his engine under alleged warranty.. I much prefer to be the person who decides when I want to turn my engine off The machines would take over the world otherwise
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:23 AM   #8
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Because stopping and starting your engine is adding wear and Im not convinced its going to save much environmental impact if you are for example in slow moving traffic stopping and starting constantly for hours on a motorway for example.

Exactly!!

I am trying to avoid coding, will drive it for a month or so before I decide should I go coding or not.

I order the connector to disable Active Sound just because I try to avoid coding.

oh well.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #9
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_cheng View Post
Exactly!!

I am trying to avoid coding, will drive it for a month or so before I decide should I go coding or not.

I order the connector to disable Active Sound just because I try to avoid coding.

oh well.
Just curious.. Why the aversion to coding?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep

others have commented on this subject along the lines of "its not difficult to press the ASS button just after you press the start button, its right underneath"
Appreciate 2
M40i4me1037.00
      04-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnj View Post
Just curious.. Why the aversion to coding?
Mainly avoid it create other issue.
And, if I bring the car back to dealer, they give me trouble after find out I coded the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #12
Radar314
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
C7 GS/Vert/3LT  [10.00]
BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
IMO it is all about CAFE standards, fleet MPG. Really has nothing to do about a person that spent over $60,000 for a car saving a few dollars at the gas pump. If saving a few gallons of gas a year is that important, there are a lot of cars with less than almost 400 HP that could get you around nicely. Again, just my personal opinion.
Appreciate 3
      04-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #13
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar314 View Post
IMO it is all about CAFE standards, fleet MPG. Really has nothing to do about a person that spent over $60,000 for a car saving a few dollars at the gas pump. If saving a few gallons of gas a year is that important, there are a lot of cars with less than almost 400 HP that could get you around nicely. Again, just my personal opinion.

Exactly
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #14
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

Would love to turn it off for good. Its definitely both noticeable and annoying and I do not at all care about the minimal MPG it gains.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
West Austin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i w Msport

A study by the Society of Automotive Engineers found that using start-stop can see a car's fuel economy improve by over eight percent in heavy traffic.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-fuel-savings/
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #16
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Austin View Post
A study by the Society of Automotive Engineers found that using start-stop can see a car's fuel economy improve by over eight percent in heavy traffic.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-fuel-savings/
Yeah... 8% not enough to make me leave it on. And heavy traffic is exactly where its most annoying.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #17
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
I was chatting with a bloke who had a Focus, yes I know its not the same build quality etc, he was telling me that he had to take his car back into Ford because the engine was knackered, he blamed the ASS for it as he had heard many reports of the same issue and Ford having to replace engines because of it, they eventually replaced his engine under alleged warranty.. I much prefer to be the person who decides when I want to turn my engine off The machines would take over the world otherwise
I think your friend's problem was probably more related to his car being a "Ford" than ASS... There are tens of thousands of Toyota Hybrid cars and light trucks on the road with engine starting/stopping frequently in very single trip the cars take. Yet, many of these vehicles had gone over 100k miles (some even at 200k or higher) without any wide spread complaints on the internet saying these car had too much wear and tear due to ASS...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #18
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:

While I think a lot of the people who hate ASS are going to hate it regardless, I do think you saying it's perfectly seamless is a bit off.

I think BMW does a pretty good job of the response when you're coming off of the stop, but the way they handle the stop itself is the problem. You either have to be super delicate feathering the brake until it's the perfect time to come to a complete stop, or you find yourself jerked to a stop, or sometimes I find it going into effect even before I'm at a stop.

If I could have the "stop" process from my Audi and the "go" process from my BMW, we'd be approaching a very usable ASS system. But we don't, and so for a lot of people it's pretty annoying.
Appreciate 1
johnnj107.00
      04-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #19
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

Quote:
A 1.0 Ecoboost was it? They have a bad reputation with failed Degas pipes, so I'd question the stop-start effect. I've had ASS on a Cooper S and Nissan Juke (now with 66k on the clock) and never had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post
Quote:

While I think a lot of the people who hate ASS are going to hate it regardless, I do think you saying it's perfectly seamless is a bit off.

I think BMW does a pretty good job of the response when you're coming off of the stop, but the way they handle the stop itself is the problem. You either have to be super delicate feathering the brake until it's the perfect time to come to a complete stop, or you find yourself jerked to a stop, or sometimes I find it going into effect even before I'm at a stop.

If I could have the "stop" process from my Audi and the "go" process from my BMW, we'd be approaching a very usable ASS system. But we don't, and so for a lot of people it's pretty annoying.
I have a hybrid for my daughter, and the way my hybrid handles the engine start stop is impeccable. Wish BMW would add a small electric motor to the X3 to make ASS as smooth as possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #21
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Such a non issue, just use two fingers and push both buttons at the same time. I don’t even notice it anymore, it’s muscle memory. You can tell BMW intentionally positions it that way. The buttons in Audi are always placed in a much more inconvenient place.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:08 AM   #22
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
ASS discussions always seem to focus on fuel savings but it’s about emission avoidance. I spend a lot of time in the city and I’m very conscious that at any given time there are dozens of cars around me (stationary) for minutes at a time which today are OFF that before would be idling away with fumes all around.

Pedestrians, shops, residents, offices all benefit. My two cars do hundreds of ASS cycles a day with no annoyance to me, and if using it per manufacturer design makes it fail, it’s warranty.
Appreciate 0