BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Ylav
Rep
Drives: x3 28ixdrive

euro spec hid headlights 2016 where to buy?

Hi guys ,

i live in canada i have a 2016 x3 28i xdrive that have the hid headlights with amber reflector.

i want to buy the euro spec headlights with clear reflector.

do you know a safe place to buy them? and good price ? new or used if its mint condition.

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

I would recommend against these unless the car is not to be driven on public roads. Insurance may give you a hard time in case of an accident since they are required by law to be colored reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebro View Post
I would recommend against these unless the car is not to be driven on public roads. Insurance may give you a hard time in case of an accident since they are required by law to be colored reflectors.
I really doubt the police will notice that.

There's a ton of reflector version, that they can't follow this anymore.

I've always had clear corners on my cars, no issue. Reflector got a lighter color in the front VS rear anyway. Worst thing that could happen, is to get a fine or inspection.

See the E90. they remove amber corner, add a strip on the bumper.

2008 :

2009 (on the bumper is way less noticeable) :

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
I really doubt the police will notice that.

There's a ton of reflector version, that they can't follow this anymore.

I've always had clear corners on my cars, no issue. Reflector got a lighter color in the front VS rear anyway. Worst thing that could happen, is to get a fine or inspection.

See the E90. they remove amber corner, add a strip on the bumper.

2008 :

2009 (on the bumper is way less noticeable) :

Read again... I didn't say anything about police. It's about insurance claims when something goes wrong, regardless of who is at fault.

If you get into any kind of accident, expect insurance to look for things like this to put the entirety of the accident blame on you for having an unsafe vehicle. You're basically playing a lottery and it's not worth the risk IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Which law mandates this? How do you know?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/nht72-211
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/nht72-211
Oh sure, in the US...

How about Canada?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh sure, in the US...

How about Canada?
If it were legal, BMW would produce and sell the clear reflector headlights in that market. Similar to how they produce and sell amber reflector headlights in US because it is required.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh sure, in the US...

How about Canada?
If it were legal, BMW would produce and sell the clear reflector headlights in that market. Similar to how they produce and sell amber reflector headlights in US because it is required.
Sure, because it's "cheaper"? And "cheaper" to have two differing models of vehicles for markets close to one another?

Anyway...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Read again... I didn't say anything about police. It's about insurance claims when something goes wrong, regardless of who is at fault.

If you get into any kind of accident, expect insurance to look for things like this to put the entirety of the accident blame on you for having an unsafe vehicle. You're basically playing a lottery and it's not worth the risk IMO.
got you.

You are absolutely right, since this is a ''safety'' feature, insurance company can use this just like 2/32 tire wear to make you pay.

There's a risk evaluation to be done.

However, I'm pretty sure the risk is very low, considering the reflector is present in the car, but the wrong color. It still possible to know in what direction the car is, since the back still red.

And Im 100% positive that would be illegal in Canada also.

Op can cut a thin strip of this and place it in a way that looks good :

CSR :

Quote:
215. Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a moped, must carry at least

(1) two single or double white headlights, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;
(2) two amber or white parking lights, on the front, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;
(3) two red parking lights, at the rear, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;
(3.1) two red reflectors at the rear, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;
(4) two red stop lights, at the rear, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;
(5) two amber or white turn-signal lights, on the front, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;
(6) two red or amber turn-signal lights, at the rear, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;
(7) one amber side marker lamp and one amber side reflector on each side, as far forward as practicable;
(8) one red side marker lamp and one red side reflector on each side, as far to the rear as practicable;
(9) a white back-up light at the rear;
(10) a white light illuminating the rear registration plate.
In the case of a combination of road vehicles, the lights prescribed in subparagraphs 3, 3.1, 4, 6 and 10 of the first paragraph must be mounted at the rear of the last vehicle.
The lights referred to in subparagraph 2 of the first paragraph are not required on any vehicle exceeding 2.03 metres in width.

237. The headlights, lights and reflectors prescribed in this chapter must be visible at a distance of not less that 150 metres and conform to the standards established by regulation.

They must be kept free of any obstructing matter that reduces their effectiveness.
If equipment installed on a vehicle blocks the vehicle’s headlights, lights or reflectors, the vehicle or equipment must carry equivalent headlights, lights or reflectors in places where they are visible.

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; 12-04-2018 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
check ebay but becareful to read description/condition of the headlight assemblies....
look out for broken tabs/lens etc...
Appreciate 0