BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

M Control Academy - New York

I got this email from BMW and it seemed like a fun half day of beating up M cars so I signed up for $250:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA
Ready or not, BMW's Ultimate Driving Experience is coming to New York. With regulated health and safety protocols in place, and a revamped activity list, your test drive experience will pair you with the best of BMW. Packed with power and primed for performance, our BMW M vehicles can do more than ever before.

Learn how to push these vehicles to their absolute limit when you sign up for the M Control Academy. For $250 you’ll spend half a day under the guidance of a BMW Professional Driving Instructor as you’re guided through every detail of such dominant machines as the BMW X3 M Competition, the BMW X4 M Competition, the BMW X5 M Competition, and the BMW X6 M Competition. Experience the brute force and flawless functionality of the M vehicles for yourself. Enjoy a range of activities, from slalom to skid pad, that will leave you with a whole new definition of what it means to drive.

M Control Academy will only be offered on Monday, November 2 with limited availability - Register below or call 1-844-793-3898 to reserve a spot.
My registration email came in with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA
Thank you. Your spot is officially reserved at BMW’s Ultimate Driving Experience.

Get ready to experience the full power of BMW as you take on new challenges with the BMW M235i xDrive Gran Coupe and M340i Sedan. You will learn valuable lessons from BMW Professional Driving Instructors, all culminating in one of the most memorable experiences you’ll ever have.
What gives? I signed up only because it was M cars but now it's not?

Did I miss the fine print when reading on my phone?

I am going to call today when I get a break but wondering if anyone has any experience with this.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
spta97
Colonel
Rep

I called BMW and they said the email I was sent was a generic email for the "BMW Ultimate Driving Experience" (which is autocross) and I will in fact drive the M cars as I am signed up for the "M Control Academy".

So hopefully the less than informed rep at BMW is correct. I may call back again to see if I get someone better.

Anyone else going?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #3
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

When I went here in Denver it was the 340i and m235i

Best car to demo was the X3MC. Obviously not that excited about it. I drove a X6 M50i a M340i and a 530e

M340i was impressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020X3MCDG View Post
When I went here in Denver it was the 340i and m235i

Best car to demo was the X3MC. Obviously not that excited about it. I drove a X6 M50i a M340i and a 530e

M340i was impressive.
Thanks - was it the "M Control Academy" for $250 or the free "Ultimate Driving Experience" (aka auto-cross)?

The rep assured me I would be driving the XMs.

I'll post back when I do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
keneke45
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I just got back from the one they did in Orange County, CA.
The M control academy is 3 hour course that covers emergency (ABS) braking, emergency lane change, and a short autocross course. The lane changes were done in the X3MC and X5MC, braking in the X6MC, and the short track in the X4MC.
I was then invited to do the regular autocross class in the afternoon. They had a smiliar setup to the autocross track for the M cars, but it was their m235i and m340i cars. The autocross ones were just the short track.

If you have an XMC that you want to learn the limits of and don't want to beat up your own, it's a great class to take. I actually learned a few things:
1: it's damn hard to flip my X3MC in an emergency lane change even at speed
2: the windows automatically roll up during any violent maneuvers
3: the seat belt really tensions when you start going ham
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Thanks - was it the "M Control Academy" for $250 or the free "Ultimate Driving Experience" (aka auto-cross)?

The rep assured me I would be driving the XMs.

I'll post back when I do it.
Sounds like you might be good then. M Control was not an option just the ultimate driving experience
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keneke45 View Post
The M control academy is 3 hour course that covers emergency (ABS) braking, emergency lane change, and a short autocross course. The lane changes were done in the X3MC and X5MC, braking in the X6MC, and the short track in the X4MC.
I was then invited to do the regular autocross class in the afternoon. They had a smiliar setup to the autocross track for the M cars, but it was their m235i and m340i cars. The autocross ones were just the short track.

If you have an XMC that you want to learn the limits of and don't want to beat up your own, it's a great class to take. I actually learned a few things:
This is great info - thank you!

I see the autocross is also offered (for free) but the classes are full.

Did you sign up in advance for the autocross? I'm hoping I get invited as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020X3MCDG View Post
Sounds like you might be good then. M Control was not an option just the ultimate driving experience
Looks like they have to update their automated email

I'll post back after I do it with impressions.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:13 PM   #9
keneke45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
This is great info - thank you!

I see the autocross is also offered (for free) but the classes are full.

Did you sign up in advance for the autocross? I'm hoping I get invited as well.
I was lucky enough to be able to walk on and sign up for the autocross class. There weren't that many people during the week.
It was less of a formal invite and more of a "Go spend more time here at this event. There's opens spots still"
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #10
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I was lucky enough to be able to walk on and sign up for the autocross class. There weren't that many people during the week.
It was less of a formal invite and more of a "Go spend more time here at this event. There's opens spots still"
Thanks - All three days are booked so doubt they will have room. I'll ask through
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #11
nckcastello
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:

Damn what else did you learn? What about hard turn in a high speed? like exiting a roundabout exit where its a full 360....can you go fast and not lose control? what about tailwhips? happen? I have a X3MC and I wonder these things. if I can fuly press and accelerate.

Where and when can i go to this class in nYC?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #12
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckcastello View Post
Damn what else did you learn? What about hard turn in a high speed? like exiting a roundabout exit where its a full 360....can you go fast and not lose control? what about tailwhips? happen? I have a X3MC and I wonder these things. if I can fuly press and accelerate.

It’s this Monday.

https://udenewyork.eventsbmw.com/?token=em2MCAny

(Hopefully that link isnt specific to me. And not sure if there are spots still open.

Edit - Looks like both classes are full.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:11 AM   #13
keneke45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckcastello View Post

What I posted was quite literally all we did. The autocross track gets you to around 40-50 into minimum radius turns that push up against the limits of the tires itself.

You absolutely can go fast and lose control. I was glad that I learned what going past the car's limits felt like - Not in my car, and in a controlled space. The class was done in a parking lot of a baseball stadium. Its extremely limited on the limits they can show you, but it does give you some idea of what the car can deal with. Specifically with a quick increasing hard turn at high (60mph) speed, you will straight up under steer if you don't load the front tires from braking beforehand.
Appreciate 0