BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #67
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael19887 View Post
3. Positioning of the spare tire in the trunk. The hump makes it easy for groceries and other items to fall out after sliding when the tailgate is opening. WeatherTech trunk liner has helped with this.
Just happened to me. Popped the hatch from inside with a cargo area full of groceries and I hear budumpdump. Go around to the back and it was just a Gatorade bottle that fell out, but I had to fish it out from under the truck with a sand wedge.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #68
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i x

After 7 months, heres my report.

Things I like:
  • Decent MPG for the power
  • Topend power
  • Brakes
  • Heads up display

Things I don't like
  • No android auto
  • No remote start
  • Rough ride when switching from another vehicle. I get used to it when I drive it a week straight
  • It's a dog from a launch unless you use launch control.
  • No remote start
  • Randomly changes radio station on me
  • Doesn't turn off if you hit the Stop button and open the door too fast
  • Handling is weird. Too twitchy
  • Fuel tank is too small.

At the end of the day, I am glad I leased it. It's fast, but only when you launch it or when your foot is really in it. There's no inbetween. Part throttle power is dead which makes no sense. My golf R will power away without downshifting easily. I don't like the power delivery below 60. No remote start on a $80K car is dumb. Handling is very twitchy at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:18 PM   #69
EpicSurge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

i agree with you on the twitchy handling at high speeds, very hard to get used to it coming from a m550i
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 03:52 AM   #70
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
Handling is very twitchy at higher speeds.
Out of curiosity, can you describe the situation where you find the handling twitchy at high speeds?

Is it on an on ramp going 80 for instance?

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2020, 04:29 AM   #71
DucatiT1098S
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Comp.

Garage List
My second X3 and still no Remote Start AHHH!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:32 AM   #72
DucatiT1098S
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Comp.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Man, turns out Alpina B3 also got the S58 and it looks way better than G80 imo. Euro people even get the B3 wagon. What a shame. This car alone is reason enough to move to Germany.
Those are some fine looking automobiles!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #73
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Out of curiosity, can you describe the situation where you find the handling twitchy at high speeds?

It's hard to explain. On ramps, straights, doesn't matter. I attribute it to the higher center of gravity, aggressive (assuming) alignment, and electric steering. You barely touch the steering wheel and it's in the other lane. None of my other cars do this. You get used to it after a while, but when I don't drive the X3M for a week and then get back in it, its really annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #74
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post

It's hard to explain. On ramps, straights, doesn't matter. I attribute it to the higher center of gravity, aggressive (assuming) alignment, and electric steering. You barely touch the steering wheel and it's in the other lane. None of my other cars do this. You get used to it after a while, but when I don't drive the X3M for a week and then get back in it, its really annoying.
Not being cute, but have u owned other SUVs, especially sporty ones? Just wondering what ur comparing to.

Haven't taken delivery of mine yet, but my M40i was solid. What tires u have?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #75
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckneasel View Post
If you had to do it again, would you purchase it knowing what you know now after some time behind the wheel...?

I finally test drove one today (Comp), and was worried the ride would be far too harsh (after watching numerous YT reviews)...

I don't know if I'm just used to driving stiff vehicles, but the ride seemed "fine" for daily driving to me...

The power was prodigious, and unnecessary so i definitely want it, but am not going to overpay for it, considering my dealer has 5 on the lot (3 Comps)... I can't fathom why they don't order more of these with the ventilated seat option... it's a $450 option, just add the damn thing...

I told myself my next car WILL have the ventilated option so they would have to come at me with a killer deal...

Anyhow, give me your reasons why you might not make the purchase over again...
I feel like the harsh ride thing is totally blown out of proportion. It's not even close to harsh. My RS3 was significantly more harsh and that was stock. I get it - it's an SUV so people want a cushy ride, but it's an M car too so can't have it both ways.

I love the utility, speed, looks, and tech. Very happy with my purchase.
Same was said about the F80 ZCP when it landed, and I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what people meant. I feel it when I drive it back to back with our Macan that has air suspension, but it still doesn't feel "harsh"

My one drive of a friend's X3M comp was similar. Felt fine.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #76
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Not being cute, but have u owned other SUVs, especially sporty ones? Just wondering what ur comparing to.

Haven't taken delivery of mine yet, but my M40i was solid. What tires u have?
I have several SUVs at the moment. None on the same level as the X3M though. I would rank them in order below.

Grand Cherokee SRT
Durango RT
V8 4Runners (stock and modified)
Wrangler Rubicon

I have also had many fast cars on par with the x3m and none of them exhibited this. Corvettes, Transams, Camaros, SRT Magnum, Golf R.

I don't know, maybe it's a BMW thing. This is my first BMW. I think it has the Contis.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:48 PM   #77
Scooteria681
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC & M2CS6mt

I posted this is separate thread:

I’ve had an interesting thing happen inside of my x3mc. A few days ago, I had what sounded like a turntable needle scratched across a vinyl record when playing the record coming out of my right sided front speakers for a few seconds while driving. (Hopefully, you understand what I mean by that.) yesterday, I had the same thing happen on and off for about 15 minutes driving to work. It occurred while streaming from phone, satellite radio, and fm radio. It was worse/louder when driving over rough roads. It sounds like an electrical short of some kind to me.
Anyone else had this happen?
I’m kind of getting annoyed with this vehicle as it was out of service for a couple weeks last winter with a turbo wastegate problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #78
MJDBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooteria681 View Post
I posted this is separate thread:

I’ve had an interesting thing happen inside of my x3mc. A few days ago, I had what sounded like a turntable needle scratched across a vinyl record when playing the record coming out of my right sided front speakers for a few seconds while driving. (Hopefully, you understand what I mean by that.) yesterday, I had the same thing happen on and off for about 15 minutes driving to work. It occurred while streaming from phone, satellite radio, and fm radio. It was worse/louder when driving over rough roads. It sounds like an electrical short of some kind to me.
Anyone else had this happen?
I’m kind of getting annoyed with this vehicle as it was out of service for a couple weeks last winter with a turbo wastegate problem.
What was the problem with the turbo wastegate?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #79
Scooteria681
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I would get random engine fault messages. Took it to dealer and they couldn’t figure it out until I found a thread on this forum where others had same issue. Gave them the thread info, and eventually they adjusted the wastegates with consultation from Bmw hq. no problems since. They had car for about 2 weeks trying to figure it out until the forum led them the right way.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #80
Scooteria681
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1684343

thread about wastegate issue
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #81
MJDBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooteria681 View Post
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:47 PM   #82
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Interesting, my experience so far is that there is a strange sensation of speed with this car. I am finding that I am taking curvy on ramps at lower speeds than I would normally do even in my old X5M. Could be the more narrow tires and the relatively narrower stance of the car. The tires are not at the limits and I feel the car still has plenty of grip.

Still, it is plenty of fun to drive for now. I am switching out the tires soon to 265/295 and seeing what that's like. I may also add some spacers as well. I worry about adding in understeer and losing the feel.

My experience with front engine VAG products (like your GOLF R) is with the engine so far forward and the weight on the front axle it drives ok until about 7/10's which then understeer and front end plow becomes a huge issue. I like the X3M because it seems much more rear biased AWD and I have not experience plowing yet.

As for the steering, I can see what you are saying, but I like the sharpness and quickness, it is not as accurate as my 911, but I appreciate this vs the last gen bmw f80 steering which is more numb and just heavier.

Hopefully you'll figure out a way to enjoy your car more.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #83
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 TT View Post
Big mistake for me absolutely hate it, hardly even drive it. Can’t even get rid as its worth nothing.

Think I got old somewhere along the line. Ride, handling (when pushed on poor roads it’s all over the place, feels like it wants to bounce off the road. H&R have helped a bit, touch more compliant), vibration on rough surfaces through the cabin.

Unlucky for me where I live the roads are very poor and mainly "B" roads which does not help. When I go south, I do enjoy it on long runs but that is only about 5% of driving for me 95% is poor A and B roads.

It does everything well but just not for me.

H&R spring have helps but still too hard for my roads where I live. I find myself choosing roads that I know will be decent to complete a journey.

Will prob fit MSS and play around with it for a while then move on. Messing around with BM3 editing software is keeping my interest. Luckily its not easy to figure out so may take me some time. I may even grow to like it

Can’t complain about the engine performance though, amazing power plant.

Not sure what’s next

Range Rover
RS7
RS6
BMW M5
Well I just could not take it anymore. Car is gone

F90 M5 replacement. Very happy camper
AlexFL7836.00
JaeP63.00
      08-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #84
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Big mistake for me absolutely hate it, hardly even drive it. Can't even get rid as its worth nothing.

Think I got old somewhere along the line. Ride, handling (when pushed on poor roads it's all over the place, feels like it wants to bounce off the road. H&R have helped a bit, touch more compliant), vibration on rough surfaces through the cabin.

Unlucky for me where I live the roads are very poor and mainly "B" roads which does not help. When I go south, I do enjoy it on long runs but that is only about 5% of driving for me 95% is poor A and B roads.

It does everything well but just not for me.

H&R spring have helps but still too hard for my roads where I live. I find myself choosing roads that I know will be decent to complete a journey.

Will prob fit MSS and play around with it for a while then move on. Messing around with BM3 editing software is keeping my interest. Luckily its not easy to figure out so may take me some time. I may even grow to like it

Can't complain about the engine performance though, amazing power plant.

Not sure what's next

Range Rover
RS7
RS6
BMW M5
Well I just could not take it anymore. Car is gone

F90 M5 replacement. Very happy camper
Yeah, that's about my only complaint: it's not an M5.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #85
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
It doesn't need to be. M5 is M5, X3M is X3M. X3M is not an M5, and M5 is not a 911 Turbo S, and so on..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #86
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
It doesn't need to be. M5 is M5, X3M is X3M. X3M is not an M5, and M5 is not a 911 Turbo S, and so on..
All I'm saying is, if money were no object, Ida gotten an M5. The F97 is awesome.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      08-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #87
Lenny_RDM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckneasel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny_RDM View Post
I switch from 2019 m40i to x3mcomp no issues
What made you do that...?

I'm also considering the M40i as i do not NEED nearly 500hp, but why the hell not... LOL
M40i is really good car comfortable and right power, I return m40i ( to many problems with sensor) they offer me change car so I took x3mc now I can say this car is brutal beast, big difference on power, love this seats
Appreciate 3
      08-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #88
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I find the steering a little darty and suspension bouncy when both are in comfort mode. Put them both in sport and those issues disappear for me.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00