BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums (2018 - 2024) BMW X3M (F97) and X4M (F98) General Forum (2018+) Seasoned X3M owners, what's your advice to new owners?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2022, 02:08 AM   #1
SwiftHalf
New Member
SwiftHalf's Avatar
27
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X3M
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Seasoned X3M owners, what's your advice to new owners?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all! New Member here

Just picked up my nearly new 2021 BMW X3M Competition in Donnington Grey this weekend, it had less than 1000 miles and I watched the trip go over 1000 miles in my first 2 hours of driving, a pretty special moment!

This is my first BMW and first 'M' car, I'm a huge performance car fan, coming from an Audi S3. As you can imagine, this is a massive step up in both performance, luxury and size, but I am embracing it fully and it's going to be great on a practicality level for our family. I did actually have the brand new Audi 8Y RS3 on order but due to astronomical wait times I cancelled it and moved the deposit over to my X3M.

I'm feeling so aware of how much potential the car has, it feels almost limitless, slightly intimidating in a way, the handling, the power, the customisability of drive modes, it really is set up so you can make it yours in all respects. Did anyone else feel this way? I feel huge respect for the engineering.

My question for you seasoned X3M owners, what advice would you have for us new X3M owners, what would you wish you'd done in the first few months of ownership? What drive modes/combos to explore and any other things that really got you falling in love with this machine? Interested to hear your thoughts!

Also quick question if I may... my car has 1040 miles now, the onboard computer says the dealer carried out a service at 980 miles, should I still get a service done at 1200? I'm quite conscious that it's still not fully broken in yet despite being a few miles short of that milestone. What's your advice please? I'm not sure how "thorough" the pre delivery service would be if they just wanted to get the car sold. The salesman told me I don't need a service for another year or 15000 miles but not sure how I feel about that. I've spent a lot of money on this car and if I have to shell out a few hundred quid for a service I'm more than happy to.

Thanks and happy driving
SwiftHalf
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2022, 06:00 AM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
allinon72's Avatar
United_States
3564
Rep
3,176
Posts

Drives: 20' M2C, 22' X5 45e
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (1)

Looks like the break in service was done at 980mi so no more action is required, your SA is correct. It can be done as early as 900mi so it's good that that's already done!
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2022, 07:38 AM   #3
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
kzg1969's Avatar
Scotland
1031
Rep
1,706
Posts

Drives: X3M Comp / MX5 / GR Yaris
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: AberFreeze

iTrader: (0)

tip1 - leave traction control on and be careful of MDM mode or whatever its called (especially in the wet / cold).

tip2 - while it handles well for an SUV, its no hot hatch!

as for servicing - i'd trust the garage/service indicator.

otherwise, just go and enjoy.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2022, 08:31 AM   #4
SwiftHalf
New Member
SwiftHalf's Avatar
27
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X3M
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

And the Mrs has curbed the rear right wheel badly already, her first time driving it too. My reaction:

Gutted is an understatement. Bet this isn't ever going to look the same when refurbed.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by SwiftHalf; 03-21-2022 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #5
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
77
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

If your vehicle has summer tires, and you are in an area which experiences temps which can fall below 7 degrees Celsius, be mindful of the potential consequences of driving under such circumstances.
Appreciate 2
95wildtt227.00
Oldgixxer427.50
      03-21-2022, 09:23 AM   #6
pyo
First Lieutenant
United_States
199
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2022 X3MC
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftHalf View Post
And the Mrs has curbed the rear right wheel badly already, her first time driving it too. My reaction:

Gutted is an understatement. Bet this isn't ever going to look the same when refurbed.
I know the feeling...I curbed that same wheel within a week of ownership...$hit happens...

I got it refurbed and it actually turned out good. They couldn't reproduce the same surface etching but color match is spot on. Only I can tell if I look real close.

Check your rear license plate mount. Most likely the crappy version. Check out Max Well thread. https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1652123
Appreciate 2
Max Well4098.50
      03-21-2022, 09:44 AM   #7
spdandpwr
Lieutenant
spdandpwr's Avatar
251
Rep
575
Posts

Drives: Pending
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
tip1 - leave traction control on and be careful of MDM mode or whatever its called (especially in the wet / cold).

tip2 - while it handles well for an SUV, its no hot hatch!

as for servicing - i'd trust the garage/service indicator.

otherwise, just go and enjoy.
Great advice, here! I'll add another piece of advice:

Leaving the transmission in "level 2" tends to help with responsiveness and gives the car a less laggy feel when trying to switch lanes quickly through traffic. At least with how my transmission has "learned" me, leaving it in level 1 (even in sport mode throttle response) makes the car really bog down. On MPGs, the difference is about 1-2 mpg hit and I'm averaging 17.1 over the course of 13K miles
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2022, 10:31 AM   #8
M3Pilot09
First Lieutenant
M3Pilot09's Avatar
United_States
384
Rep
386
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftHalf View Post
And the Mrs has curbed the rear right wheel badly already, her first time driving it too. My reaction:

Gutted is an understatement. Bet this isn't ever going to look the same when refurbed.
Powder coat them Satin Black and don't let her drive it again 😂
Appreciate 4
      03-21-2022, 11:00 AM   #9
JonD999
Private
18
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftHalf View Post
And the Mrs has curbed the rear right wheel badly already, her first time driving it too. My reaction:

Gutted is an understatement. Bet this isn't ever going to look the same when refurbed.
I feel your pain, where about UK are you, might help in getting some recommendations
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #10
Edgar_FriendlyX3M
Private First Class
Edgar_FriendlyX3M's Avatar
No_Country
75
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW X3M
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Chicago (city of the corrupt)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [10.00]
To answer some of your early questions/statements. I am a new owner of a 2020 X3M in the same color. First BMW I've owned. In the three weeks I've had it, I'm enjoying the car more every day. I particularly enjoy the presets for M1 and M2 and depending on my mood, enhances the experience.

There are some rather impressive design and engineering aspects to the X3M as well as the S58 engine. This is a new engine and is also now used in the M3 and M4. Check out some articles that talk about the engine and I think your appreciation will go further into some of BMW's development. The AWD system on the X3M is from the new M5. Some aspects of the drivetrain were modified for the increased hp and torque from the new engine. Some articles even go as far to state this motor is about as close to race spec as you'd find in a street vehicle. After seeing other information about the S58, I can believe it.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #11
SwiftHalf
New Member
SwiftHalf's Avatar
27
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X3M
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot09 View Post
Powder coat them Satin Black and don't let her drive it again ��
If there's a positive to be taken from this as least she won't want to drive it again! Get the damage out the way early...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD999 View Post
I feel your pain, where about UK are you, might help in getting some recommendations
I'm offshore and luckily recieved a gold wheel+tyre package as part of my deal when I bought the car so the wheel will be refurbed under that. It's now just if it can be matched to OEM.
Appreciate 1
JonD99918.00
      03-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #12
robopp
Captain
747
Rep
771
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3MC
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
tip1 - leave traction control on and be careful of MDM mode or whatever its called (especially in the wet / cold).

tip2 - while it handles well for an SUV, its no hot hatch!

as for servicing - i'd trust the garage/service indicator.

otherwise, just go and enjoy.
I'm in MA and exclusively drive in MDM mode except when I'm driving in a snowstorm. I've found MDM mode to allow you to have a little controlled fun without worrying about going into a ditch.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #13
JonD999
Private
18
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftHalf View Post
I'm offshore.
I did think that maybe the case when i saw the number plate, I guess it probably limits the number of or if and specialists on the island.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #14
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Carmicro's Avatar
165
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: T
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Just enjoy the car I would say. Had mine since late 2019. Once your continental start to lose tread upgrade to Michelin PS4S all round better tyre that wears very well. I have bootmod3 Stage 1 93 octane: 21% HP / 31% TQ this makes a difference then again the car is not slow standard.

Just be careful when you hammer the throttle because the car being heavy can hide the speed well and before you know it youíre doing over 100mph in a flash.

It corners well so donít be afraid to take the corner fast it will hold. I also have a Range Rover SVR in the family good car but cannot corner well at speed.

Enjoy . Happy motoring!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #15
Mike02z
Second Lieutenant
Mike02z's Avatar
United_States
278
Rep
286
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X3 MC
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: 29651

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftHalf View Post
And the Mrs has curbed the rear right wheel badly already, her first time driving it too. My reaction:

Gutted is an understatement. Bet this isn't ever going to look the same when refurbed.
Take it to a wheel refurbishment place. They can do wonders. Youíll be surprised.

1.)Since it has 1000 miles you donít have to worry about break-in but I would not use launch control until after 1500 mile.

2.) if you ever intend to mod it, get it on a AWD dyno and make sure the shop knows how to dyno a X3 M. This will give you a baseline

3.) purchase an OBD2 adapter and buy BimmerCode to change things like ASD, etc.

4.) Donít by BimmerLink as it cannot yet control the exhaust valves

5.) Next oil change get the shop to provide an oil sample and send to BlacKStone labs. BlacKStone will send you a free sample collection kit. This gives you a good idea of the internal state of the engine.

6.) Donít turn DSC off

7.) I would NEVER own a BMW without a warranty. If you plan to keep it make sure you buy only the factory warranty before the current warranty runs out.

Thatís where I started.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2022, 05:43 PM   #16
allinon72
Brigadier General
allinon72's Avatar
United_States
3564
Rep
3,176
Posts

Drives: 20' M2C, 22' X5 45e
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftHalf View Post
And the Mrs has curbed the rear right wheel badly already, her first time driving it too. My reaction:

Gutted is an understatement. Bet this isn't ever going to look the same when refurbed.
Just buy a new rim They are $8-900.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 06:37 PM   #17
GP0256
Lieutenant
182
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: 2006 MINI GP
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

First mod, Michelin PS4AS from Costco. Best upgrade I've done yet…… until I do the Dinan tune 😜
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #18
kmualim
Private First Class
United_States
176
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: 21 BMW X6MC
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftHalf View Post
Hi all! New Member here

Just picked up my nearly new 2021 BMW X3M Competition in Donnington Grey this weekend, it had less than 1000 miles and I watched the trip go over 1000 miles in my first 2 hours of driving, a pretty special moment!

This is my first BMW and first 'M' car, I'm a huge performance car fan, coming from an Audi S3. As you can imagine, this is a massive step up in both performance, luxury and size, but I am embracing it fully and it's going to be great on a practicality level for our family. I did actually have the brand new Audi 8Y RS3 on order but due to astronomical wait times I cancelled it and moved the deposit over to my X3M.

I'm feeling so aware of how much potential the car has, it feels almost limitless, slightly intimidating in a way, the handling, the power, the customisability of drive modes, it really is set up so you can make it yours in all respects. Did anyone else feel this way? I feel huge respect for the engineering.

My question for you seasoned X3M owners, what advice would you have for us new X3M owners, what would you wish you'd done in the first few months of ownership? What drive modes/combos to explore and any other things that really got you falling in love with this machine? Interested to hear your thoughts!

Also quick question if I may... my car has 1040 miles now, the onboard computer says the dealer carried out a service at 980 miles, should I still get a service done at 1200? I'm quite conscious that it's still not fully broken in yet despite being a few miles short of that milestone. What's your advice please? I'm not sure how "thorough" the pre delivery service would be if they just wanted to get the car sold. The salesman told me I don't need a service for another year or 15000 miles but not sure how I feel about that. I've spent a lot of money on this car and if I have to shell out a few hundred quid for a service I'm more than happy to.

Thanks and happy driving
SwiftHalf
If you have a smile on your face every time you drive this "M" of yours, you are driving the way it should be.

Enjoy it and let it really "run"..... "M" car needs to run....
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2022, 09:05 PM   #19
airboss
Enlisted Member
15
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2022 X4MC Marina Bay Blue
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP0256 View Post
First mod, Michelin PS4AS from Costco. Best upgrade I've done yetÖÖ until I do the Dinan tune 😜
The stock Continental Sport Contact 6's make a noise over every concrete pavement expansion joint. It sounds like the tire is slapping it every 10 feet. I do wonder if this is what some are referring to when they say the ride is a little rough. I don't remember my M4 with PS4S making any noise over these expansion joints.

Do the PS4AS make a noise over those type joints or cracks?

Can someone with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 weigh in?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:22 PM   #20
GP0256
Lieutenant
182
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: 2006 MINI GP
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP0256 View Post
First mod, Michelin PS4AS from Costco. Best upgrade I've done yet…… until I do the Dinan tune 😜
The stock Continental Sport Contact 6's make a noise over every concrete pavement expansion joint. It sounds like the tire is slapping it every 10 feet. I do wonder if this is what some are referring to when they say the ride is a little rough. I don't remember my M4 with PS4S making any noise over these expansion joints.

Do the PS4AS make a noise over those type joints or cracks?

Can someone with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 weigh in?
Definitely no noise. Rides better and handles better in inclement weather and super good in dry weather. IMO the perfect all season tire for our cars
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 11:52 PM   #21
airboss
Enlisted Member
15
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2022 X4MC Marina Bay Blue
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP0256 View Post
Definitely no noise. Rides better and handles better in inclement weather and super good in dry weather. IMO the perfect all season tire for our cars
Thanks, great to know.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2022, 12:23 AM   #22
SwiftHalf
New Member
SwiftHalf's Avatar
27
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X3M
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP0256 View Post
Definitely no noise. Rides better and handles better in inclement weather and super good in dry weather. IMO the perfect all season tire for our cars
I think those will be the next upgrade for me. What temps are the P4S rated to?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST