BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-10-2022, 11:18 PM   #1
BrownBoy17
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive28i

Apple Carplay on F25 X3 xDrive28i

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good quality infotainment system that has Apple Carplay to replace the infotainment system my 2012 BMW X3 xDrive28i comes with. Even better if the unit is touchscreen. Now I'm not a DIY guy, but I will be more than happy to give it a try and if I fail, I will take it to an independent shop. I would love any suggestions or advice please.

Also, if I want to sell the car later after 3/4 years, will I get a less/more price because of this upgrade? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
Uncle John’s Band
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 X3 F25

Just upgraded mine this week with this unit from Bimmertech. took a couple of hours in the driveway but very happy with the results. Using the iDrive control to navigate through is an adjustment but upgrading to a touch screen was cost prohibitive

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...y-mmi-retrofit
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #3
HighDeaf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw x3 f25 3.5 M Sport

Name:  20210113_131009.jpg
Views: 5559
Size:  63.5 KBInstalled this a year ago, couldn't be happier. Touch screen, Android auto and Apple car play wireless. Highly recommend.

https://4x4shop.ca/product-category/...stems/oem-bmw/

Last edited by HighDeaf; 01-15-2022 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: add pic
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle John’s Band View Post
Just upgraded mine this week with this unit from Bimmertech. took a couple of hours in the driveway but very happy with the results. Using the iDrive control to navigate through is an adjustment but upgrading to a touch screen was cost prohibitive

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...y-mmi-retrofit
Not sure what makes a bimmertech MMI box worth ~3 times the cost of nearly the same product from other distributors, though everything they sell has tremendous markups.

Here's some in depth info on MMI boxes
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2022, 06:08 PM   #5
BrownBoy17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDeaf View Post
Attachment 2788755Installed this a year ago, couldn't be happier. Touch screen, Android auto and Apple car play wireless. Highly recommend.

https://4x4shop.ca/product-category/...stems/oem-bmw/
If I get the unit and take it to an independent shop to install it, do you know how much they'd charge me?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 08:47 PM   #6
Uncle John’s Band
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Not sure what makes a bimmertech MMI box worth ~3 times the cost of nearly the same product from other distributors, though everything they sell has tremendous markups.

Here's some in depth info on MMI boxes
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
Thanks. That is enlightening. I will say that I do appreciate Bimmertechs customer service and support. Their instructions gave me confidence to do the job myself. I do wish I had known about the other options before I pulled the trigger. Good to know there are options. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:08 AM   #7
sbacchus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Garage List
I bought the Carlinkit unit for about $250 last year. Functionally equivalent to the Bimmertech MMI, easy install and easy removal if for some reason you want to do that. In my previous F25 I installed a 10.2" Android screen, install was also easy, the price was about $500. Personally I like the Carlinkit better, even though touchscreen was nice on the other unit it was a bit intrusive and the wireless AUX input did not work flawlessly, but it does on the Carlinkit.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #8
BrownBoy17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbacchus View Post
I bought the Carlinkit unit for about $250 last year. Functionally equivalent to the Bimmertech MMI, easy install and easy removal if for some reason you want to do that. In my previous F25 I installed a 10.2" Android screen, install was also easy, the price was about $500. Personally I like the Carlinkit better, even though touchscreen was nice on the other unit it was a bit intrusive and the wireless AUX input did not work flawlessly, but it does on the Carlinkit.
Would you please be able to provide the link for the Carlink unit please? Also, I can use it with the factory entertainment unit that I have right?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #9
duperdog
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F25 xDrive28i

I just installed Andream MMI kit today and so far works great. Checked steering wheel controls and HUD and they are working. Only thing I have not tried yet was a phone call. Installation was easy except trying to get the Head unit back in - what a PITA to get it to fit, but finally able to push the harness down and to the right of the unit to get it to fit. Even got wireless AA working like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 03:00 PM   #10
Vikingstaff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The idea of adding in an Apple Car play MMI is very intriguing and tempting to me. That said, costs sure seem high for it and I wonder if my enjoyment of having that functionality would justify the costs? Saved some of these links though just in case I decide someday to bite the bullet and get something like this done to our x3. Thanks for the links and ideas.
      04-21-2022, 04:59 PM   #11
duperdog
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F25 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingstaff View Post
The idea of adding in an Apple Car play MMI is very intriguing and tempting to me. That said, costs sure seem high for it and I wonder if my enjoyment of having that functionality would justify the costs? Saved some of these links though just in case I decide someday to bite the bullet and get something like this done to our x3. Thanks for the links and ideas.
My $,02 - both of my daughter's VWs have it as well as some of my recent rentals and it convinced me to get it for my X3. If you have not used it, recommend trying it out and seeing for yourself. Maybe not necessarily better for you depending on your situation, but I find it easier to use than my phone or the vehicle nav/infotainment.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2022, 06:04 PM   #12
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by duperdog View Post
I just installed Andream MMI kit today and so far works great. Checked steering wheel controls and HUD and they are working. Only thing I have not tried yet was a phone call. Installation was easy except trying to get the Head unit back in - what a PITA to get it to fit, but finally able to push the harness down and to the right of the unit to get it to fit. Even got wireless AA working like a charm.
Been going back and forth on getting an mmi box, but don't like the maps don't integrate with the HUD. What does it show on the hud?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 06:27 PM   #13
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by okayzac View Post
Been going back and forth on getting an mmi box, but don't like the maps don't integrate with the HUD. What does it show on the hud?
AFAIK, nothing the MMI provides will show on the HUD, but I don't have a MMI so I'm not 100% sure. I do like the factory NAV showing turning direction on the hud.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 06:57 PM   #14
39CAMC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 x3 Xdrive

My MMI does not show anything in the HUD (2015 F25 X28i)

DaveW
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 10:28 PM   #15
sbacchus
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
AFAIK, nothing the MMI provides will show on the HUD, but I don't have a MMI so I'm not 100% sure. I do like the factory NAV showing turning direction on the hud.
That's correct, nothing related to the MMI shows in the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #16
Vikingstaff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duperdog View Post
My $,02 - both of my daughter's VWs have it as well as some of my recent rentals and it convinced me to get it for my X3. If you have not used it, recommend trying it out and seeing for yourself. Maybe not necessarily better for you depending on your situation, but I find it easier to use than my phone or the vehicle nav/infotainment.
This makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for the follow up and sharing your experience.

I read this thread and starting looking over the links because I am so Apple integrated in my life as it is. I bet your $.02 is correct.

Since I have not tried it in a vehicle, I really don’t have any appreciation for the Car Play interface. However, given the number of times I have “complained” when my phone doesn’t link properly or features I wished interfaced from my phone to the X3, I bet I’d love it.

Of course, the minute I try it out, and then want to get it, my wife will probably be “really”? “Really?” Ha, ha!

Thanks for the insights!!!
      05-04-2022, 04:33 AM   #17
Vikingstaff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

May be a dumb inquiry, as I could just call around. However, thought I might get a quick answer hear from the knowledge base above.

If interested in adding Apple CarPlay, is it better to do what some of you are doing above with an after market MMI add on, or just go to dealership and have then “add” or “enable” Apple Car play onto my existing 2017 X3?

Why go one route over the other? Is one cheaper than the other, or does adding the aftermarket MMI set ups above add “other features” too that make it a better direction to go in?
      05-04-2022, 02:49 PM   #18
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
May be a dumb inquiry, as I could just call around. However, thought I might get a quick answer hear from the knowledge base above.

If interested in adding Apple CarPlay, is it better to do what some of you are doing above with an after market MMI add on, or just go to dealership and have then “add” or “enable” Apple Car play onto my existing 2017 X3?

Why go one route over the other? Is one cheaper than the other, or does adding the aftermarket MMI set ups above add “other features” too that make it a better direction to go in?
BMW may or may not charge you to activate Carplay if your car is capable. I know they got heat about the activation fee and then the subscription fee. So I don't know if they charge labor, it's a goodwill service, or what the deal is.

People above are using MMI boxes because the headunit does not have the capability. A lot of them were manufactured before CarPlay was a thing or widely used. I don't believe there's really any benefit to an MMI box when comparing it to OEM functionality.

If BMW is going to charge you something exorbitant, the cheapest way to do it is with codemybimmer(dot)ca i think they charge ~$250 and they'll do a remote session and get it all activated and working. I've heard great things about them and they'd be able to tell you the specifics of what you'd need to do and what level of service it'd need.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2022, 06:39 AM   #19
Vikingstaff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks Okayzac! I was thinking along these lines (is it a head unit thing) or not. But then I was second guessing it and thinking maybe I am missing something. I am 99% sure my head unit is car play capable on my 2017, but that it was not an enabled feature on my X3 (I bought it off lease in 2020)).

I’ll have a talk with the service department at its next oil change to get the deets. Appreciate the time and insights.
      06-26-2023, 04:14 PM   #20
Mblizza
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M xDrive28i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 M  [8.83]
Quote:
Thanks Okayzac! I was thinking along these lines (is it a head unit thing) or not. But then I was second guessing it and thinking maybe I am missing something. I am 99% sure my head unit is car play capable on my 2017, but that it was not an enabled feature on my X3 (I bought it off lease in 2020)).

I’ll have a talk with the service department at its next oil change to get the deets. Appreciate the time and insights.
Were you able to convince the dealership to unlock it for you?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 06:19 PM   #21
aspame82
Mr
Peru
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 XDrive28i Xline 2017

if you want OEM solution 1) for touchscreen with OEM look: Get an nbt evo set for bmw serie 3 F30 with touchscreen 8.8 inches, buy a 8.8 F25 frame and put the F30 screen into the F25 frame. 2) you can use G30 screen and follow instruction of my post (search aspame82 G30), you get a 10.25 inches screen.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 07:26 PM   #22
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

I installed an mmi system. A couple of years later I upgraded to a 12.3" the unit came with an Android operating system. Took a few hours to install but it's plug and play and veryeasy. We'll worth it. It will run your car play. I got it @ avinusa.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0